• Please log in to reply
856 replies to this topic

#16 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Apr 17 2013, 03:59 PM) View Post

Half-Life 2 is still available in stores. That goes for the US, as well. According to the database at the Gamestop I work at, that is. There's a 'classic' pack floating around as well, with CS: Source, HL2 and Day of Defeat, I think. It goes for something like 29 kroners over here, which is like... 4 or 5 bucks. You'll still have to use Steam to play it, of course. Hehe.

Anyways, I'm guessing this will be downloadable - Iwata mentioned something about the eshop in the video Koh linked to. What exactly he said I have no clue, so it's possible it'll be out both digitally and in stores. I don't think this is gonna be a 'proper' Zelda-title in the general sense, though. I'm picturing something along the lines of FSA, considering their recent statements about Zelda and multiplayer. They could have been aiming at this title when they said that. I also think a handheld multiplayer Zelda would be better received than one on the Wii U, and I'm guessing they're thinking along the same lines.

But who knows, they didn't really show anything that hinted at that in the videos, so I could be completely wrong. I really don't have high hopes though. The gameplay reminds me of PH/ST, which could be nice, but the visuals is just barf. I don't know what the hell they were thinking, this is just straight up ugly.
IPB Image
Look at those mountains! WHAAAT THE FUUUCK?!

Also, it looks like the overworld is gonna be more or less identical. Familliar places and all that, could be a cool nostalgia trip. If they fix those visuals, holy ratballs!

Image!

Meh, beggers can't be choosers.

I don't think they're that bad, but they could definitely be improved. I actually don't give a damn about visuals when playing video games. I worry more about the gameplay rather than the graphics, though, nice graphics definitely make looking at what you're playing much more pleasant. Maybe they'll edit the graphics before releasing the final product.

#17 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Apr 17 2013, 05:59 PM) View Post

To Migo

But you have to admit Migo...the original LTTP Mountains were already pretty WTF. I couldn't tell if it was a muddly slope, or if it was chocolate cake. I think they pretty much captured both there. It's muddy chocolate cake!

And I would really want to get this actually, just because I haven't played a new Zelda game since I emulated Majora's Mask. The Minish Cap came after right? So that too, even though I own the actual game. The Oracles came out after OoT and MM didn't they? I 100% completed and consider both of those the best too.

Edited by Koh, 17 April 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#18 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

I'm more concerned by how the roots of some of the trees appear to extend OVER the mountain tops...

#19 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Apr 17 2013, 06:35 PM) View Post

I'm more concerned by how the roots of some of the trees appear to extend OVER the mountain tops...

Look at the original in the image Migo provided...they did it there too XD.

#20 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Apr 17 2013, 04:59 PM) View Post

Half-Life 2 is still available in stores. That goes for the US, as well. According to the database at the Gamestop I work at, that is. There's a 'classic' pack floating around as well, with CS: Source, HL2 and Day of Defeat, I think. It goes for something like 29 kroners over here, which is like... 4 or 5 bucks. You'll still have to use Steam to play it, of course. Hehe.

Well its not available anymore where I live, unless you count Steam which is useless for me.

#21 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

I just watched the trailer on my 3DS, this one to be exact:

Call me an optimist (that's clearly an insult at times) but I think this does look pretty good. It also does look a lot better in 3D, perhaps one of the first game using it really well. I normally don't play the 3DS in 3D, also, but I feel like I'll be obligated to for this game. The wind waker hieroglyph look-a-like power seems like it could make some really interesting puzzles (it already shows a pretty cool one in that trailer) and the return of Moldorm means it's time to get my jimmies rustled all over again.

#22 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

Just watched it myself after getting it off the eShop, and I'm definitely much more impressed seeing it in 3D and knowing it'll look even better in the final product, since these trailers are lower quality than full releases. But I'm far more impressed with this trailer than the last, and think it looks great in 3D. I wouldn't call it the first to use it well, but it's definitely up there. I'm a bit less apprehensive now, still looking forward to it. Just please be a lengthy game... icon_frown.gif

(Stamina meter thing is still dumb but what can you do)

#23 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Hooray for LttP sound effects! And also for the first non-remake Zelda game for 3DS!

At first glance I was unsure about this, but I'm probably getting it once it comes out.

Also, since the gameplay is on the top screen, I'm gonna guess the controls are button-based (remember, the action in PH and ST was on the bottom screen), perhaps with an OoT3D-style touch menu.

#24 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

I'm not really sure what to think, here. I mean, a new Zelda game is nice, but do they have to call it "A Link to the Past 2"? I mean, I saw a handful of things that I'm not really sure belongs in a LttP sequel. Maybe a Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks sequel, but not LttP.

First off, while it looks like we get button controls rather than being forced to use the touch screen for everything, the dungeon design doesn't look right. The DS Zelda games had a different feel to it because they had to deal with the way touch screen controls work and how you were never really very exact with your controls. The dungeons in the trailer look like they follow the same idea as that, even though the touch screen isn't going to be forced for controls.

The new items feel rather gimmick-y to be honest. Actually, take a close look at the picture tool and hammer. The hammer is a repeat appearance of the one from the DS games, I think. Also, did anybody else notice how the picture form for Link looks more like the Wind Waker/DS Zelda graphics than LttP? I'm kind of getting the feeling that this entire game started out as a DS sequel, and they got the idea that replacing the overworld graphics to resemble LttP and calling it a LttP sequel instead would get more people interested. Don't the dungeons and equipment look like they would feel more at home in a DS sequel?

The last thing I noticed is that makes me think that the LttP connections weren't the original idea is that the game world doesn't follow the right rules. I mean, when we got a straight sequel to a Zelda game, they followed similar rules to their original one. The Oracle games followed the same gameplay rules as Link's Awakening. Spirit Tracks followed the same rules as Phantom Hourglass. I haven't played much of Majora's Mask, since I still want to do a blind LP and need a better recording setup before I can do it, but from what I've seen, it follows many of the same rules as Ocarina of Time. Just watch the video. Arrows deplete the Magic Meter instead of an ammo count. (Why?) Those green blob-like enemies, (Cukeman, I think they're called?) don't electrocute Link when attacked with the sword and act more like Chu-Chus. These aren't LttP gameplay rules, they're from the DS games.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the DS games a fair bit. For what they were and what they intended to do, they were pretty good. However, LttP had it's own feel to it, and should be considered as such. I'm not upset that they're making a new Zelda game in the same vein as the DS games, but I don't like that they're calling it a LttP sequel. For all I know, it could be a really good game, and I won't complain about it like that until I actually get to play it, but they should really re-think how they're handling this. If they want to make a LttP sequel, then they should design it as such from the beginning. I should feel nostalgic when I play this game for more reasons than just the general appearance and some name-dropping. That's what a sequel should do, expand on what the original did.

#25 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(kurt91 @ Apr 17 2013, 08:26 PM) View Post
I'm not really sure what to think, here. I mean, a new Zelda game is nice, but do they have to call it "A Link to the Past 2"?

Probably just a working title. icon_razz.gif
Also, did anybody else notice how the picture form for Link looks more like the Wind Waker/DS Zelda graphics than LttP? I'm kind of getting the feeling that this entire game started out as a DS sequel, and they got the idea that replacing the overworld graphics to resemble LttP and calling it a LttP sequel instead would get more people interested. Don't the dungeons and equipment look like they would feel more at home in a DS sequel?

I noticed that thing about the portrait too, I dunno if there's really anything to say about that though. However, I think the dungeons look fine, and we really haven't seen much of them anyway, so it's kind of early to tell. Also, Miyamoto (or was it Aonuma) was talking about wanting to do something based off ALttP for a while now, at least since last year, so I don't think it was a last-minute switch.
I mean, when we got a straight sequel to a Zelda game, they followed similar rules to their original one.

Zelda II and Phantom Hourglass were nothing like Zelda 1 and Wind Waker. icon_blah.gif
Don't get me wrong, I liked the DS games a fair bit. For what they were and what they intended to do, they were pretty good. However, LttP had it's own feel to it, and should be considered as such. I'm not upset that they're making a new Zelda game in the same vein as the DS games, but I don't like that they're calling it a LttP sequel. For all I know, it could be a really good game, and I won't complain about it like that until I actually get to play it, but they should really re-think how they're handling this. If they want to make a LttP sequel, then they should design it as such from the beginning. I should feel nostalgic when I play this game for more reasons than just the general appearance and some name-dropping. That's what a sequel should do, expand on what the original did.

Honestly, it feels like the logical next step, an update of the system. Full range of motion, rather than up/down/left/right, shield always pointing where it should rather than being flipped, stuff like that. Still, it's too early to tell, so we shall see more in the future. Hopefully.

#26 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

3DS... why did I sell you?! Damn you alcohol...

#27 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

Unlike most of you, I am in love with the art style. It's new, fresh, and even comes with completely new Link! I mean, Toon Link is one of my favorites, but he needed to go eventually! (I hope this new Link is in the 3DS version of SSB!)

The only thing I don't like about him is his eyes. They don't seem to match his body style. But they changed Skyward Sword Link's eyes in production, so maybe this one will too. And if they don't, that's fine. They'll grow on me. I'm in love with this new Link!!

Edit- I've drawn some fanart already!

One: http://jabujabule.de...ast-2-366230665
Two (My favorite so far): http://jabujabule.de...n...jabule&qo=0

Edited by Jared, 17 April 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#28 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:31 AM

I'm liking the look of this. It does a good job of capturing the LttP style while offering a unique take on things. I'm really excited, and it may be the thing that finally forces me to get a 3DS! I love how the Link is classic-y with a dash of toon link. I've always loved the top down games, and seeing that combined with a bright and colorful look ... Good stuff.

Jared: Those fan arts are cute. icon_smile.gif I'm glad they're sticking with a kid link on handhelds. I've always liked the young versions of Link, and was afraid they were going to start sticking with Skyward Sword/Twilight Princess type Links. I think having both, one on console and the other on handhelds, is still a great way to go.

Edited by Aevin, 18 April 2013 - 01:35 AM.

#29 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:38 AM

By the looks of things, this game might lack gimmicky control schemes. And I'm all for it. icon_biggrin.gif

I can't wait for this. The overworld looks a bit iffy for me (I mean, the trees and mountains bother me very much), but the dungeon looks fantastic. And besides, it's related to aLttP, it's got to be awesome. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Shane, 18 April 2013 - 01:40 AM.

#30 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

I can't say I'm a fan of the naming scheme, as it sounds like for the first time, Nintendo not sure what to call their next Zelda game. Calling something, "2" seems like such a cop-out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users