Contest Dungeon Month

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#61 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

So I'm guessing this contest has dried up?

Must be the hot summer weather.

pun intended.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 01 July 2016 - 10:40 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#62 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:09 PM

Nobody is submitting, that's why.

• Anthus likes this

#63 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:34 AM

I would rather say it only worked too well so far. I mean to get multiple dungeons on a monthly base is quiet an achievement regarding the amount of questmakers here and the time you need for making a good dungeon. Nice it worked out so far, but if it has two or three month between in future, that shouldn't be a bad thing at all.

• Anthus and Avaro like this

#64 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:37 AM

I would rather say it only worked too well so far. I mean to get multiple dungeons on a monthly base is quiet an achievement regarding the amount of questmakers here and the time you need for making a good dungeon. Nice it worked out so far, but if it has two or three month between in future, that shouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Well, this here is the reason I was a skeptic when the contest was first announced. But I was delightfully surprised at how it turned out for the first couple of months. Perhaps in the future we could probably rename the contest to something else. So like instead of Dungeon of the Month, we'll just call it Dungeon Contest (I know, that's too lame and generic to go with, but you get the point).

Anthus can just keep the contest going based on demo availability, but removing "of the month" would be less confusing if we couldn't do this monthly anymore. 

• Naru likes this

#65 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:30 PM

I've actually finally started on my second dungeon, but it might take me a while to finish. Not sure. Not that it matter much since we would have to wait anyways. xD

But where my first submission was very linear with little deviation, this one is meant to be a bit more open. Not entirely open. But eh. 

Anyways, I can agree with NJF, Dungeon Contest would probably work much better.

• Anthus likes this

#66 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:29 PM

So I'm guessing this contest has dried up?

Must be the hot summer weather.

pun intended.

Haha, in a way, yes, it has. However, as Dimentio pointed out, we have not received any entries. More on this below.

Nobody is submitting, that's why.

This is true. There haven't been any submissions. It's summer time, so people are often times on vacation, or otherwise away, but others also work a lot more in ZC during summer.

I was also impressed with the turnout for the first few contests. I kind of suspected that this contest wouldn't remain truly monthly. Look at IotM, and SC:CA. There are often week-long gaps in those contests (more in the former than the latter, though). Calling it 'dungeon of the month', to me, more or less implies that the contest will run for a month (30 days), once it is running, not necessarily that it is running each calendar month. This bring me to:

Well, this here is the reason I was a skeptic when the contest was first announced. But I was delightfully surprised at how it turned out for the first couple of months. Perhaps in the future we could probably rename the contest to something else. So like instead of Dungeon of the Month, we'll just call it Dungeon Contest (I know, that's too lame and generic to go with, but you get the point).

Anthus can just keep the contest going based on demo availability, but removing "of the month" would be less confusing if we couldn't do this monthly anymore.

Changing the name completely might make it more confusing, imo. Something like, "Monthly Dungeon Demo" could possibly capture a slightly different idea without confusing people. I think DotM works well though, so people know that it is a monthly contest, but doesn't run from the beginning to the end of each actual month. It simply runs for a month, when it is running, which relies entirely on entries from the community. So, something like Monthly Dungeon Demo could communicate this, just as effectively, but I'm not entirely convinced the name is the problem.

It is also kind of hard, I think, for people to submit dungeons sometimes cause not everyone wants to take that extra time to isolate their dungeon within their quest, and upload, and submit it. I also think people might not have liked the categories quite as much either. Sometimes too many options is a bad thing lol. (Which, btw, the next contest is not using categories) I was truly surprised at how many entries there have been though, and that we had a pretty consistent first three months. I think a lot of people who are working on quests might not be aware of the contest currently, due to its virtually non-existent advertising.

Community awareness is key to having a contest grow. I haven't been bumping this thread as much lately, but I think it would be nice if people who are interested in the contest would be willing to link to it, or something. I'm the only one with a link to it in my sig, so members who aren't always on the forums, or new members, or members who don't have sigs enabled, or members using the mobile skin might not ever know about this contest.

I've actually finally started on my second dungeon, but it might take me a while to finish. Not sure. Not that it matter much since we would have to wait anyways. xD

But where my first submission was very linear with little deviation, this one is meant to be a bit more open. Not entirely open. But eh.

Anyways, I can agree with NJF, Dungeon Contest would probably work much better.

Glad to hear you are working on a potential entry. Those are always welcome, obviously. :)

#67 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:15 PM

Of course. I actually only have to design the sideview segments and then playtest.
  • Anthus likes this

#68 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

I should submit Souls of Wisdom's Temple of Cole in this contest some day. lol

• Anthus likes this

#69 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:16 PM

You should, actually.

#70 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

This contest still exists!

However.. the entries tho. The entries man... Where's the entries?

#71 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:45 PM

You know what? I'm submitting. We only need two more now. :P

No but seriously, I have an entry.

#72 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:00 PM

Obligatory bump in my monthly thread bumping contest. Oh, wait, it's a dungeon designing contest, that's right. I forgot.

This still exists and will continue whenever those entries get mailed in, on a floppy disk to my PO box. :D

*performs contest CPR*

BREATHE you son of a bitch, don't die on me! You just need to puke and drink some water and you'll be back on your feet again in no time.
  • TheLegend_njf likes this

#73 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:13 AM

Today is 9/20!

That means it's 4/20 somewhere!  ...  Wait, that's not how that works.

Anywho, the Fall Expo is coming up, so I know you guys must have some awesome dungeons in the works. Why not submit one to this contest? Just give the first post in this thread here a read for details on entering. :)

edit: fixed links.

Edited by Anthus, 29 September 2016 - 02:22 PM.

#74 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:11 PM

Remember that time Anthus made a contest?

Yeah, me either, who is that guy?

But srsly y'all shud git sum gud entrees in for the contest.

See the first post in this thread for details. :D

#75 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:49 PM

Bump, and rename to more accurately reflect the idea here.

I am filled with determination.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users