Tileset

• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#196 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

Only thing I suggest is redesigning those buildings with proper height and scale. The way those doors and windows mismatch makes me wonder what kind of people like crouching through a tiny door just to enter their homes...

Security system of the year~  

#197 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

As far as shadows go, I'd rather not include them in this tileset because alpha transparency breaks NES restrictions and as Shane said, creating tiles specifically for shadows would increase the complexity of the tileset. On the other hand, if you really wanted to add shadows, there's nothing stopping you from taking the full-black tile and plopping it down in an upper layer like so...

koten_village_by_dragondeplatino-d7xoutr

Also note that I've fixed the houses! As Linkus said, the doors were out-of-proportion so I lowered the ceilings to improve the proportions. I won't be enlarging the doors, though, because it's necessary that they are 16x16. That way, I can set up doors as newbie-friendly armos tiles that you can bump into to open without messing with screen secrets or anything like that.

And as for the cliffs, I'll be going back and making those a little more like the ones in Koten Basic. I think the dungeon screen is just fine, though. Once I add in doors the perspective will seem a less confusing for those not familiar with old-school RPGs.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 02 September 2014 - 01:00 PM.

• Shane and strike like this

#198 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

It's a good start, but it doesn't solve the  "have to jump or be over seven feet tall to look out the window" problem.

#199 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

Are you talking about something like this?

moved_window_by_dragondeplatino-d7xph4t.

Moving the window into the top half of the trimming tile creates another tile exclusively for this situation (which I'd like to avoid). But now that I think about it, this is more efficient since it only uses up one tile. Previously, I had seperate tiles for windows taking up the upper and lower halves of a wall tile.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 02 September 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#200 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:40 AM

Those grass borders don't do it for me. But else it's great.

#201 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

I love the grass borders!

#202 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

Whew! After a week of hard work, I've gone back and fixed all of the sprites, items and palettes of Koten Basic. All that's left is compiling the extras folder and testing backward compatability with older versions of Koten...

Is anyone here currently using Koten Basic 1.0 for a quest? If so, please tell me so I can give you Koten Basic 1.1 for some feedback.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 11 September 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#203 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

I sure am.

#204 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:32 PM

OK then! I'll be PM'ing you the newest version of Koten once I get a problem or two ironed out.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 11 September 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#205 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:31 PM

Wow, people! It's been ages, hasn't it? Sorry, but right before I was about to submit Koten, my home internet went and died on me so I've been internetless for the past month.

I'll be uploading Koten 1.1 with all the promised features in just a moment. Keep an eye out on the database!

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 07 October 2014 - 08:31 PM.

#206 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

I don't want to sound like a troll or anything, but the doors for dungeons don't look right. Take a look at the right doorway in this screenshot. I really wanted to use this tileset for a quest I'm working on, but the discoloration makes it look very bad IMO, especially with the random green streaks of color on the wall by the door. I don't want to offend you or anything, but just to bring a problem to your attention. The door C-Set I used is 2, and it's the closest thing to being correct as I could get, but the green tiles in the doorway don't match the main dungeon floor tiles at all.

4k6rdr622h6e4urzg.jpg

EDIT: I ended up doing a little bit of editing of the tiles to fix it. It wasn't too hard to do, mostly using shortcut keys like "V" and "H" to flip tiles a certain way.

EDIT2: I'm not sure if the quest file was the correct tileset or not in retrospect. All I did was take it, save it as a new quest and went from there. Honestly, I love the SFX and all. Just curious, what game(s) are they from?

Edited by RedmageAdam, 04 February 2015 - 05:33 PM.

• DragonDePlatino likes this

#207 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:35 PM

Sorry for the late reply.

No offense taken at all. The dungeon walls used to have much heavier shading to them, and I must have forgotten to update the doorways when I lowered the wall shading. Here's an update with fixed horizontal doorways: Koten v1.11

Anything else? There's a lot in Koten I could have missed. Oh, and as for the sound effects, I created those all myself using bfxr.net. It's a nice online program that lets you synthesize sound effects out of basic waveforms like sines and squares. If I can remember correctly, I included all of the .bfxrsound and .ftm files in the main Koten download.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 06 February 2015 - 06:41 PM.

#208 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 07 February 2015 - 08:37 PM

Anything else? There's a lot in Koten I could have missed. Oh, and as for the sound effects, I created those all myself using bfxr.net. It's a nice online program that lets you synthesize sound effects out of basic waveforms like sines and squares. If I can remember correctly, I included all of the .bfxrsound and .ftm files in the main Koten download.

I just found something else. The Darknut tiles have an error. When they face right, the sword of the Red and Blue Darknuts disappear. The fix was very simple; I just copied the correct left-facing combos, copied them over and just pressed "H" to fix them. I'll keep you updated if I come across anything else.

#209 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

I just found something else. The Darknut tiles have an error. When they face right, the sword of the Red and Blue Darknuts disappear. The fix was very simple; I just copied the correct left-facing combos, copied them over and just pressed "H" to fix them. I'll keep you updated if I come across anything else.

Well...that's actually intentional. Darknuts are asymmetric, you see, so you can only see them holding their swords from the left. It actually takes more work to draw asymmetric sprites like that, so I'd like to keep it that way.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 08 February 2015 - 01:35 PM.

#210 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:36 PM

Well...that's actually intentional. Darknuts are asymmetric, you see, so you can only see them holding their swords from the left. It actually takes more work to draw asymmetric sprites like that, so I'd like to keep it that way.

I didn't realize that was what you intended to do. I already edited the tiles on my file, so I would have to grab them from a clean Koten quest file. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tileset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users