Osama Bin Laden dead!

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#16 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:59 PM

After all, you'd be willing to die for your strongest of beliefs. Maybe even to kill for them, if they're truly that strong.

So was he.

Anyway, I doubt this is fully reliable, (Mostly due to people running up and saying it as they usually would.) but that's for you to decide. Sources are in the article.

#17 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

If we want to, we can choose to be happy about this. Sure, it won't end terrorism. Sure, the economy is still in shambles. Sure, tornadoes are tearing up the country. But you know what? The mastermind behind the 9/11 attacks is dead. We still have to worry about potential threats, yes, but loosing a leader is a massive blow. It's like complaining about a gift because it wasn't the color you wanted. icon_unsettled.gif

Obama had a pretty good speech, thought. He at least addressed the fact that the war isn't over.

#18 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:06 PM

Wow. Couldn't even believe it when my dad told me a few minutes ago. We've been trying to hunt him down for so long now, I figured we'd never reach him before he died on his own.

#19 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:17 PM

I'm completely indifferent to any of this but I wrote a patriotic tune to blast obnoxiously from your windows to celebrate or whatever you patriotic people do.

You know what I lied.
Osama's death is actually a pretty horrible thing because people are just gonna go around thinking America is so great and that he was so evil forever now. Nobody's gonna care that thousands of people died looking for this guy that was just sitting there in a cave playing CoD or whatever 'terrorists' do. The US were the real terrorists in all of this~

Edited by Lithium, 01 May 2011 - 11:21 PM.

#20 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:18 PM

I would just like to say that this day in history should not be about celebrating a death, it is not about America being the best nation in the world, it should not be about revenge. We killed Bin Laden because it was our solemn duty to do so, to protect lives and to make our world a safer place. I ask that instead of celebrating a death, we celebrate the lives of all the people lost.

#21 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:22 PM

I just heard that the guy who masterminded the 9/11/01 attacks has been killed! can anybody link me to confirmation that Dick Cheney is dead?

#22 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(trudatman @ May 1 2011, 10:22 PM) View Post

I just heard that the guy who masterminded the 9/11/01 attacks has been killed! can anybody link me to confirmation that Dick Cheney is dead?

BAHHAHAHAHAHAHA sorry that deserved a good laugh. Haha icon_razz.gif

#23 Twilight-Prince

Twilight-Prince

The Adversary

• Members

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:27 PM

The world's best game of hide-n-seek is over.

Then again, not like I really cared much for it in the first place.

#24 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:17 AM

Russ, although you seem to be a nice enough person, I am beginning to think that you have a very ignorant view of the world.

I'm 100% agreed with what Lithium has said. I don't know anything for certain, but I'm pretty sure that more people died trying to get this guy than died in the 9/11 attack. In all honesty, I think the guy was a semi-fictional political character and not much else. Once you've scared people, it's a lot easier to get them to do what you want.

#25 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:17 AM

So we finally got that old geezer. Pity. Now the big plot twist is that he wasn't actually the final boss of real life. He was just some crazy guy who liked making video casettes and had a ton of subscribers on Youtube. Yeah, I dunno. At first I was like icon_biggrin.gif but then I was like icon_sorry.gif. I mean what does it matter? We're fighting a religious war here; I'm not saying we're fighting Islam in general here, but rather this one sect with a name I can't remember. The thing about fighting ideals is that no matter how many people die, the ideal never will. The fight will just continue until both sides destroy each other. So if one spreading ideal is against the whole word, it does seem we're all screwed. I just wonder what part of the Koran is influencing these people to believe the solution to their problems is...well, terrorism. I'd assume (I haven't read it) that considering how the majority of Muslims aren't terrorists and suicide bombers that it must have an overall peaceful and tolerant message. But yeah, Bin Laden is dead. Whoop-de-freakin-do!

@Russ: So while I do believe that Osama Bin Laden was a horrible, horible person, I don't believe that he deserves a slow and painful death. To be quite honest, he didn't do anything all that different than our own government does. Osama fought a war. Wars kill people. I think Bush killed many more than Osama ever did. Many were killed in the crossfire from both sides. War does that. Do Bush and Obama then deserve the same slow and painful death you wish upon Osama?

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 02 May 2011 - 12:54 AM.

#26 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:36 AM

I found something a guy said on the TV Tropes forums that says it well:

"We are gathered here today because a man is dead. This man gave an entire religion a bad name, orchestrated the deaths of over 3000 people, and caused a country to march into a war they were unprepared fo- will the people doing the Wave at the back please wait until the eulogy is over?"

#27 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:26 AM

I think you're all being a little too hard on Russ.

This is a man who's probably the closest to a "supervillain" we'll ever get. We're talking about a man who's been doing a lot more than "just 9/11".

To put it simply, we are talking about a man who simply does not deserve to live. While he may not deserve a "horrible death", it is better than him getting to live out his days in a way he wanted to. Basically, he's dead, and I'm happy about it, because it's a good thing. Justice was served, and disagree or not, but justice should always be served. For once, it actually was. It's one man though, and it's hardly anything more than a morale boost looking at the big picture, but it's still not something we need to be so cynical about.

To clarify my opinions a bit: No, I do not think anyone deserves to die, however I am under the belief that some people simply does not deserve to live. As in, they have done something so horrible and so un-humane that they simply have lost the right to their own life. Sadly, the only way to deal out justice in such a situation is to either get him alive, or indeed end his life. And when that's the only way for justice to be served, then yes, it is the right thing to do.

I am in no way in favor of death-sentences though, but again, some cases warrant such extreme measures. There are people we do not want walking this Earth, because they are so evil all the way true that they don't care who you are, old or young, if you're in their way, they will kill you. We're talking about a man who has ordered the murder of both Americans, the world and even his own people. Sanity is something he clearly didn't have.

All I can say is this: Good riddance!

#28 Zeldaman23

Zeldaman23

Darkie & Dhane

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:57 AM

Yay! No more Osama Bin Laden rest of our life!

#29 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:04 AM

I'm sorta with Robin on this. (Though, Russ, although I understand you, I think you could have chosen your words more carefully.)

This man killed so many people. So many innocent lives were taken it's ridiculous. I'm still sort of soaking this in. I'll post my rant later...

Edited by Rem, 02 May 2011 - 01:49 PM.

#30 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE(Zeldaman23 @ May 2 2011, 10:27 PM) View Post

Yay! No more Osama Bin Laden rest of our life!

Well yeah, he is dead now...

QUOTE(Robin @ May 2 2011, 06:56 PM) View Post

This is a man who's probably the closest to a "supervillain" we'll ever get.

Did you forget Hitler? I think they're both pretty comparable in terms of destruction to not only their so-called enemies, but also their people (that may not have the same beliefs as either of these leaders and hence are persecuted for it) and followers. Germans suffered for years after Hitler died, and Muslims have also been stereotyped heavily since 9/11, especially considering when people associate terrorism with someone who follows a different religion - one of which had followers (Bin Laden and whoever else you can associate with Al-Qaeda and 9/11) that believed in destruction and chaos.

We're talking about a man who's been doing a lot more than "just 9/11".

In my view, Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda have sort of dropped off the face of the Earth in the last few years. Australia's former foreign minister said today that Al-Qaeda aren't as powerful as they were five years ago, and he's probably right. Osama Bin Laden's video messages became almost as interesting as the Queen's Christmas messages (and oh god, they're terrible). Afghanistan isn't as controlled as much by Al-Qaeda nowadays as much as it is by people sick of America, the UK/Australia/other countries controlling the war-torn country (which we're only really doing for oil, if you Americans can admit it to yourselves, I'll be okay with it) and are hence taking action by... blowing themselves up the only way they know how.

To put it simply, we are talking about a man who simply does not deserve to live. While he may not deserve a "horrible death", it is better than him getting to live out his days in a way he wanted to. Basically, he's dead, and I'm happy about it, because it's a good thing. Justice was served, and disagree or not, but justice should always be served. For once, it actually was. It's one man though, and it's hardly anything more than a morale boost looking at the big picture, but it's still not something we need to be so cynical about.

Whether he was the mastermind behind 9/11 or not, he still triggered a string of terrorism attacks in various other countries. Anyone remember the Bali bombings of 2002? The London subway bombings of 2005? I suppose it's karma essentially; what goes around comes around. He couldn't hide forever, and I think he might have known that. Trust him to ruin the Brits' moment in the sun with the Royal Wedding and whatnot~

I am in no way in favor of death-sentences though, but again, some cases warrant such extreme measures. There are people we do not want walking this Earth, because they are so evil all the way true that they don't care who you are, old or young, if you're in their way, they will kill you. We're talking about a man who has ordered the murder of both Americans, the world and even his own people. Sanity is something he clearly didn't have.

Cue the Hitler comparisons again.

Anyway I'm gonna stop quoting Robin now and say something that I don't need a quote to respond to. Hopefully Osama's passing will help us bring an end to the ongoing wars in Iraq/Afghanistan. If the death of Saddam Hussein was anything to go by, I doubt that a lot. And in regards to what our dear friend Russell (I assume his name is Russell in real life, if it isn't I am so screwed) said, I think a re-wording could've been a bit better. Bin Laden was indeed by no means innocent of anything, but that comment was harsh. And besides, he probably would've gotten off on the whole torture thing anyway. Masochism and whatnot.

I also read too much Michael Moore. icon_frown.gif

Edited by Taco Chopper, 02 May 2011 - 08:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users