Photo

SOTW Comments?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Your Vote? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Your Vote?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Ielen

Ielen

Adept

• Members

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:43 PM

Glad we think alike Petoe, I liked the screenshots you submitted for SSOTW.

Perhaps people are just not used to not having the ability to post comments as what I mentioned above, they have withdrawal syndromes & we need to use correctional procedures to rectify this addiction to posting comments problem icon_lol.gif

#32 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 07 August 2004 - 08:34 PM

I wasn't going to vote, I figured "let those who ride decide" but then I figured what the heck, it's the rude comments that have stopped me from submitting shots anyway, so I voted nay, and if it turns out that way maybe I'll start submitting just for kicks.

I really see no reason for rude and obnoxious comment towards a person over quests or screenshots either one.
IF it's a quest, it didn't cost you anything, simply delete the sucker out, you don't think I have?
And with a screenshot, what's the point, vote for the one you like and be done with it.

If a person wants advice on how to do better graphics, they'll ask for it.

I have a folder called SSOTW and everyweek I save the shots, but I never read the comments that follow them, I do it this way so I can look at the shots any time without ever having to reload the page, some are better than others, but they all represent someones hard work freely given.

To those of you that submit shots, thanks, I enjoy them, but to those who sumbit blistering comments.... who cares who died and made you king.

Edited by Freedom, 07 August 2004 - 08:40 PM.

#33 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:30 PM

Petoe
Ummm, people? Do you have any idea what you're wishing for?

Ummm, Petoe? Do you have any idea what you're neglecting people? Like System Error said, asking for feedback on a shot in a separate topic is hardly worth the effort considering the feedback (or lack thereof) you get. with SOTW you get easy feedback and you're shots gunna be seen by a lot more people.

What kills me most of all is that you're taking the comments away from the people who want them, just because of some stupid people that read the comments, then say "get rid of em" because they dont like what they're reading. KEEP THE COMMENTS FOR THOSE THAT WANT EM!!! Those that dont want em... DONT READ EM!!! its that simple. comments stay, everyones happy.

#34 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(System Error @ Aug 7 2004, 04:51 PM)
Part of it is showing off your work, asking for advice in making screens and more without posting a topic (that's likely to get closed/deleted/ignored).

Show off your work in Custom Quest Discussion. Ask for advice in ZQuest Design Help.

And you're saying that posting a topic there will get it closed or deleted? Wow, someone doesn't know what on earth they are talking about. No member who would take an action as foolish and idiotic as that would ever make it to staff.

And as I said above, what evidence do you have that it will be ignored?

#35 Ccc

Ccc

Adept

• Members

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:48 PM

I really see no reason for rude and obnoxious comment towards a person over quests or screenshots either one.

No, there is no resin for them but people are going to make them, rude people are a part of life, you have to except that. Don't punish others because of a few rude people, that's like bringing in a fire truck to put out a small camp fire. Just ban the rude people from posting in the screen shot of the week forum.

#36 System Error

System Error

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE(Happyman @ Aug 7 2004, 08:30 PM)
Show off your work in Custom Quest Discussion. Ask for advice in ZQuest Design Help.

And you're saying that posting a topic there will get it closed or deleted? Wow, someone doesn't know what on earth they are talking about. No member who would take an action as foolish and idiotic as that would ever make it to staff.

And as I said above, what evidence do you have that it will be ignored?

Design help is a fairly inactive forum. I've been to over six popular forums over time, and have noticed if a board is inactive, it stays inactive, no matter what. Custom quest discussion? What if it's experimental? People would get all hyped up for no reason, and if you say it's not a quest publicly, it'd be considered off-topic or something. That's why I said it might be closed or deleted. What if it's showing off your new tilework? Designer's Exchange? It's a forum for exchange and stuff, and even if it is a preview, chances are there's gonna be at least one prick that would steal it. It's like a hunting grounds. And it's not as active as SOTW either. Even if you can get around that kind of hamperments, it's not as public. The part about ignoring comes from my view of people's browsing patterns. Roughly half, probably around 10-15 percent more usually. Excuse my logic there, but I have a sense of watching patterns develop in the world, and try to guess what I should expect. I could be/could've been wrong, but it's just a prediction, and it's better to play it safe IMO.

As I said, the best option is there being two topics, one for the voting/shots, another for the discussion. Then everyone's happy. Did you even read that part? Because it looks like you didn't, considering you lack mentioning it in your post. If you did, chances are you only speak out about negative ideas. Or something. icon_shrug.gif You bashing our ideas to make it with comments is just as bad as people bashing other's screenshots. Us bashing your ideas aren't good either. Don't take it personally, though. icon_wink.gif

Besides, people who are offended/discouraged easily by a bunch of trolls and retards shouldn't even be using the internet. Seriously. They're TRYING to piss you off, and you're biting the hook. I have yet to see a SOTW submission that was factually 100% garbage. Everything I have ever seen was at least average. As long as it has a good tileset, it's average.

#37 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 07 August 2004 - 11:05 PM

*bows to System Error* About damn time someone else stood up for themselves! Mate, you're a dead set legend, keep up the good work. My respect for you is now 1000 fold agains the majority of other PZCers, we could be good mates, you and me.

For all you other PZC nerd burgers, THIS is a guy you should be looking up to!

Oh and Happyman? I never liked you that much to begin with, but for a site staff you dont know how this place really works. SE's got 55 posts under his belt and he already knows whats going on, but you have little insight to show for your 5414 posts.

Once again, SE, you're a champ!

#38 Jaivaz

Jaivaz

God of Death

• Banned

Posted 07 August 2004 - 11:27 PM

Design help is a fairly inactive forum. I've been to over six popular forums over time, and have noticed if a board is inactive, it stays inactive, no matter what.
Actually, it won't if a good enough topic is made, it will no longer be inactive.
Custom quest discussion? What if it's experimental? People would get all hyped up for no reason, and if you say it's not a quest publicly, it'd be considered off-topic or something. That's why I said it might be closed or deleted.
If it is experimental, and you fear it getting closed/ignored/flamed, then simply...DO NOT post it.
What if it's showing off your new tilework? Designer's Exchange? It's a forum for exchange and stuff, and even if it is a preview, chances are there's gonna be at least one prick that would steal it. It's like a hunting grounds. And it's not as active as SOTW either. Even if you can get around that kind of hamperments, it's not as public.
There is a way to make it so it is impossible to rip.
The part about ignoring comes from my view of people's browsing patterns. Roughly half, probably around 10-15 percent more usually. Excuse my logic there, but I have a sense of watching patterns develop in the world, and try to guess what I should expect. I could be/could've been wrong, but it's just a prediction, and it's better to play it safe IMO.
It is, but when it comes to these things, best NOT play it safe.

As I said, the best option is there being two topics, one for the voting/shots, another for the discussion. Then everyone's happy.
This would work, but some people would still make stupid comments. (i.e: "This sucks," "You suck so therefore your quest and pics suck!")

Did you even read that part? Because it looks like you didn't, considering you lack mentioning it in your post. If you did, chances are you only speak out about negative ideas. Or something.  You bashing our ideas to make it with comments is just as bad as people bashing other's screenshots. Us bashing your ideas aren't good either. Don't take it personally, though.
Not many people take it personally, it's just they WANT CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENTS on their shots, and if people can't supply them, then screw the comments.

Besides, people who are offended/discouraged easily by a bunch of trolls and retards shouldn't even be using the internet. Seriously. They're TRYING to piss you off, and you're biting the hook. I have yet to see a SOTW submission that was factually 100% garbage. Everything I have ever seen was at least average. As long as it has a good tileset, it's average.
This is something I actually agree with..except with the tileset, It could be a horrible stick figure set, if the layout and design is good, then I like it. A quest could have a GREAT set, yet have horrible levels and design. (i.e:MMDWR.)

I voted for No Comments. People are just too stupid to give good comments.

Edited by Jaivaz, 07 August 2004 - 11:30 PM.

#39 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 07 August 2004 - 11:43 PM

Jaivaz i hate you for that post you just made. You nit picked SE's post offering no help to him whatsoever. I dont know how many SOTW comments you're read, but the majority of them ARE constructive comments! Only one or two comments a week wont be constructive, and most of the time arent insulting or anything! Personally i dont know where this whole "insulting comments" thing came from.

Theres one thing i agree with though;
People are just too stupid to give good comments.

Yes, but only people like you.

#40 Jaivaz

Jaivaz

God of Death

• Banned

Posted 07 August 2004 - 11:59 PM

Jaivaz i hate you for that post you just made. You nit picked SE's post offering no help to him whatsoever. I dont know how many SOTW comments you're read, but the majority of them ARE constructive comments! Only one or two comments a week wont be constructive, and most of the time arent insulting or anything! Personally i dont know where this whole "insulting comments" thing came from.

Theres one thing i agree with though;

People are just too stupid to give good comments.
Yes, but only people like you.

Well now..time for a big post....

"Nitpick"? No, I commented. I simply pointed out the flaws.
I've read quite alot, and funny enough, System Error, happens to have made many Non-Constructive Comments.
Now...let us see...
Raiden: Nothing to see here.
Ccc: Great shadows, nice LTTP mod. YOU'RE WINNER!
noEl: Good, but unappealing layout. And what's with this new Female character fad?
LtM: Nice.
Happyman: Concur'd!
Nick: Average
Hero Link: The bridge leaks in an odd fashion.
Ian: Probably third best.
CrystalBlade: *shrug*
Firestorm: Average

System Error's Latest Commenting Post.
Non-Constructive comments in Bold.
Now..
I give, atleast, mediocre comments. As most of you know, I suck at commenting, so I barely make comments in SOTW. But, when I do...I try my best to make them Constructive.
SOTW 60
PolygonX8:Very...hot...still, very good.

Nick:Looks nice, but a little bland at the top with the lava..try adding some little "islands."

Ian:lol..knowing Link's luck there is a swarm of Octorocks in there.

Jaivaz:Funny cause the same day this is posted, is the same day I make the trees and sprite look better...ah well.

LinktheMaster:VERY nice, good little custom set.

codelinker:...Looks...cool...

BH4:VERY nice, yet a bit bland, as it is a "cutscene."

Now, did those sound stupid and Non-Constructive? I don't think so.
Also, don't hate me, as I will only feel better knowing that I made someone hate me, simply because I proved them wrong...so thanks for making me feel better!

#41 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:10 AM

NoeL, please don't insult other members. Continue to and you will be banned.

QUOTE(System Error @ Aug 7 2004, 09:54 PM)
As I said, the best option is there being two topics, one for the voting/shots, another for the discussion. Then everyone's happy. Did you even read that part? Because it looks like you didn't, considering you lack mentioning it in your post. If you did, chances are you only speak out about negative ideas. Or something. icon_shrug.gif You bashing our ideas to make it with comments is just as bad as people bashing other's screenshots. Us bashing your ideas aren't good either. Don't take it personally, though.

I figured my arguments about why comments aren't needed that much in SOTW anymore would have been sufficient to tell you why a discussion topic was not necessary. icon_razz.gif

What if it's experimental? People would get all hyped up for no reason, and if you say it's not a quest publicly, it'd be considered off-topic or something. That's why I said it might be closed or deleted.

I never knew of many people who liked to show off experimental work, but I still do not see what is wrong with posting it in CQD. If you decided you weren't going to further work on the quest... there's no rule violating there. As for getting all hyped up for no reason, that's happened in SOTW before. What's the difference?

What if it's showing off your new tilework? Designer's Exchange? It's a forum for exchange and stuff, and even if it is a preview, chances are there's gonna be at least one prick that would steal it. It's like a hunting grounds. And it's not as active as SOTW either. Even if you can get around that kind of hamperments, it's not as public.

For the stealing argument, I again fail to see a difference between SOTW and Developer's Exchange. As for activity, you do have a point there. :\

The part about ignoring comes from my view of people's browsing patterns. Roughly half, probably around 10-15 percent more usually.

I say this again: As far as I've seen the shots that were posted for critique in Design Help got plenty of feedback. I'm not so sure it's likely to be ignored. Sure, sometimes things do get ignored, but it can happen in SOTW too.

Anyways, if you guys want this thread to go on, keep the flaming out of here. The last thing a staff member wants to see is a discussion topic where people start flaming, and it's a very fast way to get a topic closed. icon_sigh.gif

#42 Ccc

Ccc

Adept

• Members

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:26 AM

Heres an idea, instead of arguing in this topic, make a rule that only constructive criticism is aloud, and those who cant fallow the rule, can't post in SoTW. The problem would be solved and every would be happy, except the ass's that only say "that sucks."

#43 plith

plith

I've been thinking.

• Members

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:37 AM

Ccc, that's exactly the rule that's been causing the problems that led to this poll. If you had read Praethus's post, you would see that he will only allow comments on the condition that there be no restrictions on their "constructive" nature. The reason things got so heated to begin with was that people were complaining about not getting the kind of feedback they wanted. If comments are allowed, they will be allowed with the stipulation that anyone can say anything about any submission and no one can complain.

#44 Ccc

Ccc

Adept

• Members

Posted 08 August 2004 - 01:55 AM

And I don't see a problem with that.
As I've say'd before, If you don't like criticism, don't put you're work in a position to be criticized.

#45 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 August 2004 - 05:12 PM

* Spends several minutes just staring at this topic... *

Holy crap.

I doubt I've seen such chaos in ages. I've seen less chaos in GB. 'nuff said.

I think we're just better off disabling comments. To be frank, I've only seen the Site Staff, and a handful of the other staff give good criticisms and other critiquing jobs to shots, with a few happy exceptions. When did it just dissolve into a flaming fest? icon_shrug.gif It keeps happening!

I think we would just be best disabling comments. I like to walk through a gallery of screenshots, admire them, PM suggestions, and go on with my life, without having to duck past a flaming gallery. *Insert Imitation die plz kthx here.*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users