Photo

Rant about Quest Titles

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:41 AM

Meh. You'll never see my logic.

Ah well. I'm sticking to it. >_<

#32 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

But again Schwa, I not going to go that indepth with my post because I explained it in my first post really well. But I mean my games The Legend of Zelda: The Hero of Dreams, or The Legend of Zelda: The Eye of the Moon, just because I put LoZ in front of the subtitle doesn't mean it makes my game unoriginal. You may say that it doesn't but I should take it off all together but again what I said:

I don't really refer to them as The Legend of Zelda: The Hero of Dreams, but when you talk to friends about Zelda games, when do you ever say: "Hey, did you play The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker or The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for the Gamecube?" in a sentence. Never, I don't think anyone says that. I think they say, "Hey did you play The Wind Waker or Twilight Princess for the Gamecube?" But to have it official and part of the series it has to be added in the game and the box. All of the official Nintendo games are The Legend of Zelda: ___ (except for ZII). So if you like your fan game to be like it was part of the series, then yes of course I can see why they stick it in front that is fine.

Again, putting TLoZ title in front of it makes it more like it is an official part of the series. And as a fan ZELDA game, some of us do want to have the feeling of having it a part the official series. If I didn't put TLoZ in front of Hero of Dreams, then I would be really disappointed oddly. I put too much sweat to make it connect to the series and really tried hard to make it as good as a official game to just pass it off like that. It is a LoZ fan game and to me I need it in front of my title. And if that turns my game off for you, I guess I can't understand that. lol icon_wink.gif

#33 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:04 PM

Hold on. I didn't say that putting "TLoZ" in front of the title kills the originality... I said it wounds it. As in, without that in the title, it would be more original, but just because it has that in there doesn't mean the game is not original. I also said the content of a Quest is far more important than the name of it, and from what I've gathered about EotM, it's gonna be quite an epic adventure, and we all know that HoD is already epic, so yeah, I wasn't intending to bash your or anyone's Quest.

The thread was mainly just me ranting about something that bugs me. I can see now that it was probably a mistake to post this, since everyone proceeded to read me the wrong way, as usual in RL when I state my opinions on stuff, which is sad and unfortunate. icon_sigh.gif

#34 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:19 PM

I don't think the majority of people here are reading you the wrong way- I think that they are simply disagreeing with your logic and pointing out holes that they see. And never, never regret expressing your opinion if you did so in a well though-out and respectful manner. Just to prove my point, I'll attempt to interpret your position- you place a high value on originality and quality content. You think that "The Legend of Zelda" is cliched and lowers the originality of the content, and that it's also redundant because it should be really, really clear that it's a Zelda game.

Close enough? icon_wink.gif

And btw, I have the utmost respect for you, and I'm not posting this just to fight- I'm simply defending my train of thought in the same manner that you've established yours.

#35 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

Hold on. I didn't say that putting "TLoZ" in front of the title kills the originality... I said it wounds it. As in, without that in the title, it would be more original, but just because it has that in there doesn't mean the game is not original. I also said the content of a Quest is far more important than the name of it, and from what I've gathered about EotM, it's gonna be quite an epic adventure, and we all know that HoD is already epic, so yeah, I wasn't intending to bash your or anyone's Quest.

I didn't misunderstand you, maybe I didn't make it clear in my posts. I was debating your quote on saying it wounds it. I am just saying I don't think adding The Legend of Zelda in front of my Hero of Dreams wounds my game at all. In fact, I think it helps it. For example, does Adding The Legend of Zelda in front of the Twilight Princess make it different? What if they dropped The Legend of Zelda? People would be like what the hell, they took it off, but that was a stable for the series. What I am saying is it adds to it, because it makes it an official part of the series. There are a lot of Legends of Zelda, and The Researchers are finding out new Legends of Zelda all of the time. I think that is what Nintendo is aiming for. They are stories that are called and labeled: The Legend of Zelda: _____. That is just how the official series goes.

Now, my game The Legend of Zelda: The Hero of Dreams, yes agreed it isn't an official part of the series. But my goal was to make it feel like it was. That was my vision to make the sense that my Series would connect to the official series. And since I wanted to do that, The Legend of Zelda was added, because it does make it feel more like it. Plus my storylines, do revolve around The Legends of Zelda.

So again, I was debating your quote on saying it wounds the originality. Because in my opinion, it Helped my game. It feeds into my storyline of the bloodline and such.

The thread was mainly just me ranting about something that bugs me. I can see now that it was probably a mistake to post this, since everyone proceeded to read me the wrong way, as usual in RL when I state my opinions on stuff, which is sad and unfortunate.

I am not reading it the wrong way. I think you are reading us wrong as Ebola mentioned. You made a thread about this topic, so you are going to get different opinions on the matter as that is what a forum does. I am just voicing my opinion on the matter. And I like to use logic and quotes to debate things. So again, I am not reading you wrong. I understand what you are saying, but I just don't agree with it because of the things that I mentioned previously. icon_razz.gif

#36 elise

elise

RIP Elise, 7/20/2011 - 49 Years Young.

• Members

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

Goto last unread Rant about Quest Titles * 123
Something's gotta stop, kids! >:P

You know what really needs to stop , people telling other people what they have to do with their quest .Now people already start to complain about how people name their quest icon_rolleyes.gif
You make a quest you name it the way you like it , you use the tile set you want , you make the story you want it to be , you use the colors you like , you make it your quest and be proud at it !!!!!!!

#37 Guest_Sir_Johnamus (Guest)

Guest_Sir_Johnamus (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2008 - 06:57 PM

Partly, I agree with Schwa. It should be left with the questmaker to decide the title, but it shouldn't necessarily be TloZ. That and the aforementioned templates.

My quest has changed names: Johnamus Quest: The Longest Quest Ever.

#38 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:03 PM

Meh... I don't regret stating/sharing my opinion... I dunno, I just should've expected an angry mob of ZC veterans on my arse with sticks chasing me back to my cave in their disagreements with my opinion. False expectations, really. icon_sorry.gif Someone said my argument is "full of holes"... I was afraid of that. It's why I've never signed up for the Debate Forum. I'd lose all my friends and credibility at this site.

icon_cry.gif

#39 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:13 PM

Dude, you aren't going to lose friends or anybody over this. It is just a debate, we don't agree with you. Doesn't mean we aren't any way less friends or anything. I still respect you even if I don't agree with your opinion. icon_razz.gif

#40 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:22 PM

The only 'issue' I have at all with quest titles, is that they can be condensed into nearly impossible-to-recognize acronyms. Whenever I see a "TLOZTJWENAE-AWETJ" I'm just going to turn off the computer and go take a nice long nap. Don't ask me if I've ever played your quest when I can't even identify it among all the other quests which sound alike. icon_sweat.gif

I do like the "be original" thing though. Sure, it's a Zelda Game based tileset, but any little thing can be modified enough to make it just different enough that it doesn't need to use that special "TLoZ" header.

In fact, I'd say that if you do use that header, it's really restricting. Apply only as absolutely necessary.

#41 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:27 PM

I'm by no means annoyed by you... at all... I AM annoyed by your opinion, cause I DO think it's a little... dumb... BUT it's not my opinion... what's my opinion, however, is that I don't like your opinion... and, Nuvo, I should be allowed to state my opinion, just has he stated his... I never meant that his opinion was worthless... I just said that I thought it was bad...
And that's how we humans work, you know...
I may have worded me a little bad, but... do I dare blame that on me being Norwegian and all? Yes, I do... Or... not... I guess I should have read through my post before I posted... and it was my mistake... no harm meant, sorry, Schwa. icon_biggrin.gif

Now, I still don't think that it wounds the quest in any way... I mean, "The Hylian Phoenix" is afterall, only a subtitle... the TITLE is "The Legend of Zelda"....
BUT I had this dream some weeks ago, where I came up with another main title, to replace TLOZ... and it was good... problem is, I can't remember it.... and it was a one word... starting with "I" I think.... Heh.. but that's out of context...

I still like you Schwa icon_biggrin.gif
EDIT: Whoopies... it was Nuvo... not Ireclan icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Migokalle, 29 June 2008 - 04:57 AM.

#42 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:06 PM

Ireclan didn't say anything, it was me.

And there is no problem stating your opinion, it's just tact there is a big difference between...

"...and if you think it HURTS the quest.... then you're so utterly wrong... "

and,

"...I don't think that having TLoZ in the title hurts the quest..."

Just understand it that way, you'll come off as a lot less "mad" because the first statement really makes you come off that way.

"Now, I still don't think that it wounds the quest in any way... I mean, "The Hylian Phoenix" is afterall, only a subtitle... the TITLE is "The Legend of Zelda".... "

That's a good statement, come off that way, and you'll have people off your case... if they were on it in the first place.

#43 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:52 AM

Hehe, thanks Shoelace and Miggs. I shouldn't have said that post just now either, 'cause it was basically me moping... Believe me when I say something's been seriously eff'd up with me lately. I have no idea what. But I haven't been myself, and I've been having mood swings and stuff.

Ah well, it's fine if you guys don't agree with me. Always is. Especially since I'm American and therefore supposed to support free speech (and I do, out of my own will)... Let me rephrase my first post summary then. What I'm basically saying is "I would never name a quest with "TLoZ" in front of it." I guess it's fine if you guys do, it's your quest after all. But it STILL bugs me when I see the userbars. I'll just have to get over myself.

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Jun 28 2008, 06:27 PM) View Post
BUT I had this dream some weeks ago, where I came up with another main title, to replace TLOZ... and it was good... problem is, I can't remember it.... and it was a one word... starting with "I" I think....

Illiad, maybe?

I love it when I have a dream and it inspires part of my Quest. That's happened at least three times so far with Molka Elite. ^_^

#44 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:45 AM

I think it's okay to have it in your title, but when submitting it to the database, use only the quest's main title and drop the prefix. For instance, I'll be submitting mine as just "Dance of Remembrance." Any more would be too long.

In cases where it's merely a remix of an actual Zelda game, though, I think it might be appropriate to keep it even in the database title...on the condition that the full title isn't too long to begin with.

As for it being "obvious," well... not all Zelda Classic quests are based on the Legend of Zelda series, so it's not totally obvious that they'll be Zelda. icon_razz.gif It's just likely that they will be.

Now, I'll tell you what bothers me far more than people who actually write out the whole title of Legend of Zelda: quests that take the title of an existing Zelda game and keep half of it the same, then change the other half, often to something generic.

For instance:

"Ocarina of ______"
"Link to the ______"

...To tell the truth, those are the only two I want to list, because they've both been overused to tremendous extents. New questmakers, avoid these naming tropes. "Hero of _____" is fairly overused, too, but it isn't actually based on the title of an official Zelda game.

Come to think of it, the Castlevania game "Dawn of Sorrow" sorta does the same thing, as it is the direct sequel to "Aria of Sorrow." But that was a decision by the localization team, who couldn't resist the urge to name it something that abbreviated to "DS." icon_razz.gif Plus they needed a way to associate it with its predecessor.

#45 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 04:21 AM

Well, I use TloZ because it is in fact a sequel to the game, but I mostly just say HM(Hidden Mysteries). So I kinda agree with Radien, "TloZ ____" is the official name, but just say "_____" in normal discussions.

I also agree with Elise, it doesn't matter how you call it, as long as you like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users