Rant about Quest Titles

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:37 AM

I think that if it has to do with zelda, put LoZ or The Legend of Zelda in the title if you want. Say it to yourself with it and once without it. Just use whichever sounds better.

#17 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

Guys, let's not get too harsh in our statements here, Migo, doing a straight accusation that someone is wrong, or that something that they speak of is bull****, is extremely tactless. As well as everyone else doing the same, please be tactful in your statements, and one more flame/troll war that might have, will have never happened.

Umm... I honestly have never cared, TLoZ is just an indicator of a quest, that I think needs a more original storyline, but that's just me. I generally am peeved by most quests that still use Link, Zelda, the Triforce, and Ganon that isn't an official game. So if the title is TLoZ, I generally will be annoyed by the game as in its content. But not always, BB is a fine example for a TLoZ quest that doesn't annoy me.

All these reasons lead up to why my quest title is Incendia, is in the future, and has NOTHING to do with Zelda.

#18 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:14 AM

Does the Legend of Romia count...? I mean, it IS about the land or Romia, and it's past, riiiight? Lol.
It doesn't bug me that much. I don't judge a quest as to whether or not they have "The Lgend of Zelda..." infront of it. I just download ones that look fun and play away.

#19 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(Nuvo @ Jun 27 2008, 07:41 AM) View Post
I generally am peeved by most quests that still use Link, Zelda, the Triforce, and Ganon that isn't an official game.

So only Nintendo has the right to be repetitive with their games? Only Nintendo has the right to stick to the series? That seems a bit silly to me. This is a fan site centered around a fan program. It's almost expected that quests will emulate Zelda since that's what it's made for. I don't usually like quests that fail to innovate, but I don't have a problem with their creation. Plenty of fan-created games with the traditional characters have been excellent. Link's Birthday, anyone?

#20 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

I generally am peeved by most quests that still use Link, Zelda, the Triforce, and Ganon that isn't an official game.

Well since Zelda Classic was created to make a fan game for Zelda, I think you are in the wrong place if you are not looking for quests related to Zelda. I mean how did most people start with the program? By having a fantasy of making a Zelda game. I know it is more original to make your own game, however, to say it is that we shouldn't because it isn't an official game is a bit silly. Some of us still have the fantasy of making a Zelda game. And just because Link, Zelda, the Triforce, and Ganon are part of Hero of Dreams and The Eye of the Moon, does not make my games any less original. It doesn't make my storyline bad either.

#21 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

i do that in my quests, but i hardly refr to them as TLoZ. I always call them the Broken Minds Trilogy, or call them by their respective parts (part 1 part 2 part3). the only time i use TLoZ is in the title screens when i introduce the individual, formal name of each quest.

#22 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

I guess my statement was misinterpreted, and misstated. Let me articulate.

Peeve:
Ganon has kidnapped the princess Zelda. Link, collect the triforce/whatever items and save her, and Hyrule.

Not Peeve:
Don't save the princess by collecting the triforce, but rather, save the world/yourself from a degenerative curse in the same/similar manner.

Not Peeve:
Ganon has waged war against Hyrule. Link, progress through all events, and happenings that may occur, and fight through the war, where Zelda might get kidnapped halfway through the war process, until you get to the point where you are able to defeat Ganon.

Not Peeve:
Link, you are stranded on an mysterious island, with ruins and death all about, discover the mystery of this place through exploration, and get out of there(Lost Isle).

That's really what I meant, I honestly have no problem with Link, Zelda, or Ganon, it's just the way I see those characters being used in the, what I think is the cliche way, that annoys me.

#23 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

Hey, hardly any of my quests have "The Legend of Zelda" in the title. One is a two game series, so It would sound weird for it to be "The Legend of Zelda: (Name of the series): (Name of the quest). One of mine isn't even a Zelda game, so that one obviously lacks it. A Key to the Heavens does, even though it has nothing to do with Zelda, but that's because Joe123 wanted it that way. icon_smile.gif

#24 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:40 PM

I personally don't care if you use it or not- the distinction that I make for BoE is that it has a place in the Legend of Zelda timeline, even if it isn't canon.

#25 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:18 PM

Miggs, chill. I was just stating my opinion. You can't tell me I'm wrong. I said even that this was just a rant and nobody had to agree with me if they didn't want. (Thanks Nuvo for backing me. ^_^ )

Anyway, I still stand by my opinion that even if it's supposed to be like an "official" Zelda game, it shouldn't have "TLoZ" in front of it, because it's a ZC Quest. Now, if it were made in Game Maker or something like that, it wouldn't bother me so bad. But I think ZC Quests fall under their own category because they're made in ZC, and thus should be treated so.

I think what gets me the most is when I see all these userbars with the "TLoZ" prefix in front of them in people's signatures... I hate it when I see so many things the same, so I had to rant about it.

I also am in MAJOR disagreement with CC about the prefixes thing... "___ of ___" is cliche'd IMO and I'm not budging on that. I don't mind CC's Quest name though because of the actual content in his game, which I think matters more than just the name of a game... But I can't see how those kind of names are "better" than names like "Despair", "Hidden Duality", "Lost Isle", or (haha, watch this) "Molka Elite" ( icon_badrazz.gif icon_badrazz.gif icon_badrazz.gif ), comparatively. It's all opinion, I guess.

I'd like to remind everyone here that we all have our own opinions and it's important to respect them, no matter how much we disagree on things. If I see any ounce of actual flaming or trolling in my thread, Nuvo's gonna lock it. Right? *nods to Nuvo*

Continue.

#26 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jun 27 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post
Anyway, I still stand by my opinion that even if it's supposed to be like an "official" Zelda game, it shouldn't have "TLoZ" in front of it, because it's a ZC Quest. Now, if it were made in Game Maker or something like that, it wouldn't bother me so bad. But I think ZC Quests fall under their own category because they're made in ZC, and thus should be treated so.

Shouldn't a Zelda Classic quest relate to the series more rather than less? icon_eyebrow.gif I'm really losing the logic here. icon_frown.gif

#27 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:28 PM

Yeah, but it's as if ZC Quests are a specific KIND of LoZ game. Like, you have the official Nintendo games, then the fangames, and finally Zelda Classic. That's just how it is to me.

I don't blame you for not following my logic though... Nobody ever seems to these days... icon_sigh.gif

#28 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE(nicklegends @ Jun 27 2008, 10:19 PM) View Post

Shouldn't a Zelda Classic quest relate to the series more rather than less? icon_eyebrow.gif I'm really losing the logic here. icon_frown.gif

It should go to as to how the quest maker wants it to be. ZC is just an engine that emulates the LoZ engine plus a lot of features, so the engine is all that says what ZC should be, in my opinion. Something being made in ZC doesn't have to be Zelda, it just uses the same engine. But, whatever floats your boat, if you think you want it Zelda, that's fine. I just think we need a bit more originality than the cliche zelda storylines. Non-cliche Zelda storylines are awesome.

#29 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jun 27 2008, 11:28 PM) View Post
Yeah, but it's as if ZC Quests are a specific KIND of LoZ game. Like, you have the official Nintendo games, then the fangames, and finally Zelda Classic. That's just how it is to me.
Not at all. I think Zelda Classic is the very definition of a fangame. You don't have to code or program anything, true, but at it's core, it's just Zelda games made by fans.

QUOTE(Nuvo @ Jun 28 2008, 12:42 AM) View Post
It should go to as to how the quest maker wants it to be. ZC is just an engine that emulates the LoZ engine plus a lot of features, so the engine is all that says what ZC should be, in my opinion. Something being made in ZC doesn't have to be Zelda, it just uses the same engine. But, whatever floats your boat, if you think you want it Zelda, that's fine. I just think we need a bit more originality than the cliche zelda storylines. Non-cliche Zelda storylines are awesome.

Now that is something I agree with. If you're going to put the effort in to create a storyline, don't half-arse it.

Edited by Ebola Zaire, 28 June 2008 - 12:47 AM.

#30 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE(Nuvo @ Jun 27 2008, 10:42 PM) View Post

Something being made in ZC doesn't have to be Zelda, it just uses the same engine. But, whatever floats your boat, if you think you want it Zelda, that's fine. I just think we need a bit more originality than the cliche zelda storylines. Non-cliche Zelda storylines are awesome.

I didn't mean to imply that ZC should only be used for Zelda quests--absolutely not; I love quests that stretch the capabilities of the program and disassociate themselves from the Zelda world. I intended to say that Zelda games created in ZC are just as Zelda-ish as those created in Game Maker, etc., so why should the products of either program be more deserving of the "Legend of Zelda" prefix?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users