Why are we so obsessed with SD3?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:14 AM

I have been noticing this for the last few days or even months. I'm seeing a HUGE obsession of SD3 (Seiken Densetsu 3) tiles from many of the members of PureZC. I know the graphics are great but in my opinion, I don't see anything spectacular about those tiles. icon_shrug.gif

Why are we getting a huge obsession over SD3 all of a sudden?

#2 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:27 AM

Seiken Denestu 3 had the best graphics on SNES, as far as I know... So I guess, that's the cause...
I mostly only rip tiles from it that I need though... like those houses.

#3 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:49 AM

I haven't realized extreme obsession... It has extremely pretty tiles, so somebody made a tileset and Radien included SD3 sand in DoR, so everybody got more and more involved with it while even using SD3 sand... So, it also can be like a coincidence that people use some tiles from that. But I haven't even realized much tiles used or much discussion going on... It's tiles are pretty, that's all.

#4 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:32 AM

It's the cycle of graphics. If you stay here on PureZC, you'll notice it.

What happens is that some new tileset comes out. Then everyone's reaction is "OMG! THIS IS AWESOME!" Then everyone starts to use that tileset. Over time you'll get some people who say that the tileset's overused and is getting old, so they'll switch to a new tileset. Everyone else will see that tilese and will start switching to it. It's just how things go. icon_shrug.gif

People like different tilesets. It's just the way things go, everyone will try to use those different tilesets until they're not quite... different.

Edited by LinktheMaster, 25 June 2008 - 08:32 AM.

#5 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:15 PM

It's because SD3 has the most detailed (and arguably the prettiest) graphics you could possibly fit into a 256-color engine with 16-color subpalettes (such as the SNES engine), and every year we find new ways to get ZC to support their high color resolution. ^^ Also, the character scale matches LTTP, but the graphics are 1,000,000,000 times more impressive than LTTP.

To sum it all up, SD3 graphics r0xx0r your b0xx0rs.

#6 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:17 PM

my b0xx0rs aren't r0xx0red, I'd hope to see something new and original, rather than SD3 again and again and again and, did I mention again?

#7 Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Jun 28 2008, 05:17 PM) View Post

my b0xx0rs aren't r0xx0red, I'd hope to see something new and original, rather than SD3 again and again and again and, did I mention again?

I agree. I like to see original tiles/tilesets being used rather than the same stuff everybody else is using.

#8 Espilan

Espilan

Peahat.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:51 PM

@ Alestance, Joe Dirt and TriMaster001:
In my opinion, it's really pointless to complain about overused tiles and such, because... why complain when you can just try to get something new? Really, if you don't like something seen in PureZC's databases, just use—or even make—something else.

Edited by Espilan, 28 June 2008 - 04:51 PM.

#9 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:33 PM

I see this SD3 obsession is no different with the obsession of Pure and DoR back then. But then again, I still stand saying that I don't see anything spectacular about SD3 graphics with the Exception of its terrain tiles.

#10 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(Espilan @ Jun 28 2008, 05:51 PM) View Post

@ Alestance, Joe Dirt and TriMaster001:
In my opinion, it's really pointless to complain about overused tiles and such, because... why complain when you can just try to get something new? Really, if you don't like something seen in PureZC's databases, just use—or even make—something else.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

No offense, Espilan, but perhaps you should look before you assume that I'm doing nothing about it. icon_rolleyes.gif

Edited by Alestance, 29 June 2008 - 06:42 PM.

#11 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:52 PM

See, when Pure came out, how where people reacting? I mean, wheren't people saying "OMG, overused, we need something else!" after a few weeks, just like with New DoR?
I'm pretty sure they did... all in all, I think people should be happy that someone is even BOTHERING to make anything for random people online, instead of saying how sick you are of seeing it.

#12 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:55 PM

I think that there are some talented people here, though, that are just plain lazy. Thats why I dislike SD3, because people are just taking it when, chances are, so much better can be made by us. I think my graphics look horrible, but at least I'm making an attempt.

#13 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:02 PM

A good thing can NEVER be overused... Pure is good, so it can't be overused... same goes for New DoR... old DoR too, for that matter...
SD3, even how much you disagree with me, HAS good graphics... well, MOST of it graphics anyway.... so, it can't be overused.
No matter how hard you try, it just can't... Cause it's good... so why complain? It makes you seem like you're whining... and, while I know you're expressing your opinion, it's quite stupid, really...
"Hey! Your computer is overused! Get a new one! NOW!" You don't like me saying that, do you? Nope, you don't... So, please, stop with this nonsence about good things being overused... it's childish, and in one way, greedy... :/
But then again, it IS human instincts... once you get something, almost imediatly you want something new again...

#14 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Jun 28 2008, 02:17 PM) View Post

That's fine, but I'd like to harken back to a discussion that took place about the inflation or "bloating" of ZC:

Custom graphics are cool enough, but these days everyone expects them, and you have to realize that drawing them takes enormous amounts of time. This is a problem, because most good artists would prefer to draw them for their own quests, rather than team up with a questmaker who would use them to design the actual quest.

Now, since we've established that most people would rather have a one-man operation so they can use their own graphics properly and get full credit for the quest, the problem arises: designing a quest's gameplay takes an enormous amount of time, and these same questmakers no longer have time for it (or are burnt out) once they've finish all the custom graphics. With no offense meant to any of them, Linkus NoeL, and PrinceMSC have all had problems in that regard. (If I want to be hard on myself, then I have had that problem, too...however, real life has interfered far too much for me to place all my blame on quest graphics.)

The last thing I'd like to point out is that in a certain light, being accused of overuse is about the highest praise a tileset can receive. icon_blah.gif

#15 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:22 PM

Why? Well, SD3 has one of the greatest graphics in a RPG style for the SNES, and when its available for grabs in ZC, of course its going to be popular. Even up to now, tons of pixel artist use SD3 for inspiration when creating RPG graphics. It eliminates the grind effect that previous RPGs use to have, for example the earlier FF games.

IPB Image
The effect looks unrealistic and you can easily tell where each tile goes. And then when you compare it next to this..

IPB Image
Its really not even comparable in terms of graphics.

I see this SD3 obsession is no different with the obsession of Pure and DoR back then. But then again, I still stand saying that I don't see anything spectacular about SD3 graphics with the Exception of its terrain tiles.

And you think the Pure tileset has better graphics? You don't think it has good graphics because you've become accustom to the Zelda graphics.

A good thing can NEVER be overused... Pure is good, so it can't be overused... same goes for New DoR... old DoR too, for that matter...

Lol? Weird analogy. I think you don't want it to be considered "overused" because your using for your quest, yet you know it is. I mean seriously, what else is everyone using? The EZGBZ fad has recently faded away, and about 80% of the quest projects being made uses the DoR set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users