what stops you from beating a quest?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:30 PM

i guess this topic is the dual to LinkTheMaster's topic on completing construction of your own quests:

http://www.purezc.co...showtopic=36245

i decided to start it because i've noticed a habit of mine: most of the quests i download, i play halfway then put them aside for a while (a week or so). when i return, i get disoriented and i can't remember/figure out what i was supposed to do, so i just abandon the effort altogether. i've downloaded some pretty good quests in the past, but once i pick up where i left off, it's like the feeling of excitement is gone and i can't get it back with the same quest.

anyway, what stops you from beating a quest?

#2 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:37 PM

Usually my short attention span.

Or bugs/glitches.

#3 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:41 PM

Very simple: Getting stuck for too long and at the same time losing interest to the point where I lose desire to seek help. Frequent bugs and glitches can do that too, but I rarely end up playing "finished" quests like that.

#4 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:02 AM

Well, lets see. The only times I haven't beaten the ones I've started was my own stupidity. Once when playing LI I got to the last level and when I was trying to delete another quest slot I deleted the LI save file. I did the same with another quest a looong time ago, I'm not sure which one it was though...maybe Dr. Wily's Revenge...cause I remember not ever finishing that one.

#5 Son

Son

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:53 AM

I have never finished a quest or demo besides AKTTH. I don't know why I just don't like playing fan games at all.

#6 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:04 AM

If I stuck multiple times, I have enough and stop figuring things out or asking for help.

Exponentially increasing difficulty. If I fight moblins in Level 2, then a secret dungeon after that has blue darknuts with small room, conveyors and spikes, then abort.

Long ago, I didn't even think about asking help on the forums, so if I got stuck and couldn't find my way for 1-2 days, I simply stopped.

I needed to stop LBDX because a 1.92=>2.10 transition bug. Remember people, play all quests on the good version.

I stopped MMDWRDC because I forgot to save and so I lost ultimate amount of progress.

It also happened that I stopped a quest after playing it slowly for a long time then saying "There's ain't no time for this!" [/N. Trophy]

Finally, there were cases when I stopped playing a quest because there were very many directions to go, real openness, and I didn't have the patience to check which are dead ends and which gets me to a secret or the next dungeon.

#7 Spantac

Spantac

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:49 AM

I can't figure something out right away, so I presume it's buggy and stop.

#8 elise

elise

RIP Elise, 7/20/2011 - 49 Years Young.

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:52 AM

Bugs and difficulty.
When you keep running into bugs and have to quit continue a lot , the quest must be very very good will I continue and finish it, and when it's just simple to difficult and I can't get past the enmies because I am not skilled enough icon_confused.gif

#9 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:22 AM

Bugs. That's it, and the length of time it takes to play the game. I don't have much time, which is why I usually don't play many quests. In fact, short and sweet quests is what we really need, instead of trying to be just be more "epic"--Maybe something like exploring a network of caves or wandering about an abandoned manor, finding clues to what caused its abandon. No real clear goal, but perhaps a more personal one instead of always saving the world.

#10 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE(Son @ Jun 22 2008, 11:53 PM) View Post

I have never finished a quest or demo besides AKTTH. I don't know why I just don't like playing fan games at all.

then why are you here Son?

Anyway as for Linkus suggestion, yeah, if I were to make any more quests, it'd either be one epic one or a bunch of small, sweet ones, maybe arranged in episodes or chapters.

#11 LJ Bad

LJ Bad

Junior

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:51 AM

Lack of story. If I've been playing a quest for like twenty minutes, and I still don't know WHY I'm doing it, I usually don't keep playing. A good story tells me why I'm fighting all these bad guys, and exploring all these dungeons. When a quest has a good story, I keep playing cuz I really want to know what happens next.

#12 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:56 AM

What stops me? Bugs are the worst thing in a quest, so that...
but another thing that makes me stop is if I get the feeling that the quest doesn't have much or anything special to offer. I want to see custom bosses, at least some kind of an attempt at a story, custom sprites etc. I actually haven't beaten a quest in a looong time and I haven't played a quest yet that stays interesting for more than 5 minutes, but it doesn't necessarily mean that every quest in the database is bad, it just means that I have insane standards and I'm a hard customer to please. icon_razz.gif

#13 Nate

Nate

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:23 AM

Bugs that were never seen or fixed really irritate me.

Another thing is when quest designers expect you to solve some ridiculous puzzle without any sort of hint.

Like "How the heck was I suppose to know that?" after asking the quest maker directly.

That hasn't happened too often though icon_wink.gif

#14 WoooBlaaa

WoooBlaaa

Initiate

• Members

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:04 PM

If on Level 2 there are 6 wizzrobes, 3 darknuts, 2 statues shooting at me, no magic shield, 4 hearts, wooden sword. Just one hit from a wizzrobe and I'm dead. Many of the quests I have played are just too rediculously hard and really I have no sense of accomplishment because even if I get past this room, the very next room is 6 blue darknuts and a battrobe, same conditions. If I get past that room, on and on and on.

#15 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE(WoooBlaaa @ Jun 26 2008, 09:04 PM) View Post

If on Level 2 there are 6 wizzrobes, 3 darknuts, 2 statues shooting at me, no magic shield, 4 hearts, wooden sword. Just one hit from a wizzrobe and I'm dead. Many of the quests I have played are just too rediculously hard and really I have no sense of accomplishment because even if I get past this room, the very next room is 6 blue darknuts and a battrobe, same conditions. If I get past that room, on and on and on.

Name one Quest that does that. This I gotta see.

Or were you exaggerating? icon_eyebrow.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users