What Stops You?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:25 PM

The unfortunate fact of quest making is that well, over 75% of quests that are started aren't completed. For some reason or another, the quest is abandoned. It could be a lack of predesign on the quest maker's part, or it could just be a lack of resources. Maybe the quest maker just doesn't have enough time, or maybe they've just caught a severe case of the "Nick's".

So, for those of you who can't seem to complete quests, what generally puts you over the edge enough to stop making your quest?

For me, sometimes I will lose my devotion, but oftentimes it's things that drag me down that make me give up. One particular thing is making graphics. While I can sometimes make good enough graphics to work how I want, but most of the time it just ends up with me being frustrated. Also, I get bored making overworld screens eventually since they don't generally have quite as much variety as dungeons. icon_razz.gif

#2 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:34 PM

The thing that takes me down is losing my steam. I can only be interested in one area for so long. The hardest part for me is to START a new screen. I can finish those, if I start, but so often, I don't even want to. Granted, I eventually get reinterested and work out 10-12 screens in one day (or in rare cases, 25, which I did a little while ago).

However, unlike the rest of my projects, I can always return to Incendia, so it will be completed, when, I don't know.

#3 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:38 PM

Graphic making. It's fun for a short while, than it just becomes a chore and is the necessary step to being able to do pretty much anything.

It doesn't help that I'm picky and want everything to be perfect to how I imagine it. Rip what I know exists, or draw what doesn't. Takes a ridiculously long time for each area.

#4 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:42 PM

I usually get bogged down on the overworld areas. Which is why The Dark Wizard 2 will only have 2 overworld areas (but like in LTTP).
Generally, though, the main thing that stops me is just that I've got a better idea or I've run out of steam (of the two, the former has ended more stuff, but it's generally a combination of the two that stop me).
And what the "Nick's"?

#5 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:47 PM

Usually what stops me is when I see other quests and how much better they are from mine. And then I try to make my quest look SO great that it turns out messy and I regret I even tried. Right now, I regret using transparent water so I switched to PrinceMSC's water and I still regret not using LTTP water.

#6 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(Pheonix @ Jun 8 2008, 07:42 PM) View Post

And what the "Nick's"?

Just an old joke because Nick wouldn't finish any quests. icon_razz.gif Basically it's saying that you lose all inspiration on quests, causing you to quit.

#7 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:48 PM

Computer trouble sadly. I was working on a quest for awhile and then it messed up. If only my older computer would run ZC things would be great. And the thing is I one of those people that I can start something and finish it but if I stop working on something for maybe several weeks or so I can't get back into it. I restarted a lot of saves on Pokemon Gold when I was younger cause after awhile of taking a break I didn't want to pick up where I left off.

#8 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(ZebraStallion @ Jun 8 2008, 08:47 PM) View Post

Usually what stops me is when I see other quests and how much better they are from mine. And then I try to make my quest look SO great that it turns out messy and I regret I even tried. Right now, I regret using transparent water so I switched to PrinceMSC's water and I still regret not using LTTP water.

WELL, no wonder you're having trouble. If you like something, stick with it. I like LttP water, for me, it's much easier to use than the Minish Cap water I have. And about comparisons: NEVER EVER compare your quests to others' quests, if you're looking for motivation. Just do your best, and know that 'Hey, it might not be as great as that quest over there, but hell, I gave it my best shot, and I can do better in the future.'

For me? Ehh, just getting bored and being occupied with real life sometimes.

#9 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:05 PM

Nothing stops me. I just don't ever get started most of the time.

and before that, I guess you could say I suffered from "the Nick's" too

Edited by Alestance, 08 June 2008 - 08:06 PM.

#10 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:17 PM

Mine is that I have obsessions that last several months at a time before I lose interest completely. That's why my Quest has been in the works for 3 years off and on... I keep getting re-interested in ZC again, then losing it, then getting it back every few months.

Right now I would say I'm at full steam and won't be leaving ZC for a while, at least until Molka Elite is finally finished... partly because I'm sooooo close, partly because CastChaos inspired me to get back into ZC again, so in a way his hard work is directly corralated with mine.

This is a good thread. It really makes us look hard at ourselves.

#11 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Jun 8 2008, 05:47 PM) View Post

Just an old joke because Nick wouldn't finish any quests. icon_razz.gif Basically it's saying that you lose all inspiration on quests, causing you to quit.

I'm proud to say I've been here long enough to understand that joke. icon_smile.gif

For me, the process of placing the combos on the screen is too tedious and time-taking since I make tend to make a lot of mistakes. Maybe I should be satisfied with less-than-perfect screens, but I haven't learned to do that yet. As a whole, Zelda Classic is difficult to work with since what you make on a day-to-day basis isn't immediately gratifying the way a lot of projects from other game-creation programs can be. The end result is more impressive, but you're owed that by the end.

EDIT:
QUOTE(Alestance)
Nothing stops me. I just don't ever get started most of the time.
Quote of the year right here.

Edited by nicklegends, 08 June 2008 - 08:20 PM.

#12 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:20 PM

Where do I begin. First, I try to make my quests better than I am capable of, and just get overwhelmed. Second, sometimes, I just lose ZC motivation, and when I come back, I have a new idea, new quest, and the old one gets forgotten. And last but not least, file deletion. One or two of my quests we accidentally deleted, and I didn't feel like dong them again. icon_smile.gif

#13 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:40 PM

Well, what stopped me from even ATTEMPTING to do a quest was that I just didn't want to expend the resources on it. I mean, that program can take years to master, and I just wasn't dedicated enough, once I saw how complex the whole ordeal would be.

#14 Papa

Papa

Disruptive and obnoxious member since 2005

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:47 PM

I'm actually just taking my time on mine.
A really, really, REALLY long time X__x.

#15 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:51 AM

Well... I have the progblem, that I've got a lot of imagination. Sure, it isn't bad... but I keep getting new ideas... Heck, my old sig had around 30 quests maybe... that's a little bit too much.
Now, I just channel every idea possible into my current quest... if there's something I wanna do, I do it.
Instead of making a new quest surrounding one simple idea.
I do have some more quests that I'm planning/and or making, but my main project is The Hylian Phoenix... and it will be, until I'm finished with it.
After THP, I've got one more gigantic project idea... maybe even bigger than THP... not in the same way though... it's a completly different quest than all others :3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users