Photo

Strings!!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:29 PM

Here's a thread about something we don't often talk in detail about. Strings!

Think about it. Words are powerful... and this is proved in ZQuest by the fact that NO QUEST AT ALL can function properly without strings. Currently Molka Elite has almost 700 strings, and counting. Hero of Dreams supposedly had well over 1k, from what I heard.

Strings though aren't what have the real meaning... Strings are just a tool used in ZC. It's what the strings LEAD to that count... Dialouge. That's essentially what this thread is about. Here's my take...

There are obvious "rules" to follow when writing dialouge, such as proper grammar and all that jazzamafrazz... But the dialouge you use in your Quest can be a diverse, beautiful thing. You can be funny, you can be serious, you can be alarming... Dialouge, strings, whatever you wanna call them, allow you to directly affect the player in ways beyond anything that mere clever level design can do. Emotions. It's like putting a gold crown on an already handsome young man. I think a lot of (but not all) gamers play games to escape from reality, so a game that can trigger sharp emotions in a player is a winner in my eyes.

But writing dialouge in a ZC Quest is not quite like writing, say, a novel or short story. That's because dialouge is only PART of the game-- the other part is, of course, going through the Overworld and Dungeons and whatever, fighting enemies and bosses, getting the Triforce, all that razzamatazz. Also, you have to make a distinction between story-based dialouge and filler dialouge. Story-based would be anything mandatory to beat the game, while filler would be, say, some lady selling bombs in a shop, or a boy talking about "that noise he heard from the mountain yesterday" when you go into the house. Both are equally important in their own way, and in my opinion I think people would generally have more trouble making interesting filler dialouge than mandatory dialouge. I do, at least. The trick is to make it either interesting or funny... Filler doesn't do as well when it's only serious toned, I've noticed. When I write filler I like to give a backstory to some of the bosses Link fights, for example, that has nothing to do with the game and is just interesting to hear. Or, if a guy is giving you some bombs, he'll say something about how his wife gave him too many bombs for his birthday and now they're not on speaking terms anymore. XD Seriously, even something small like that could get people to smile. It doesn't have to be hilarious, but it really works when it's witty.

There is another use for strings though. Action text. You know, the kind you put in between to asterixes? Like, *The skeletons instantly surround Link and beat the tar out of him* in a Door Repair room. (Personally I love that idea. I think I'll use it. XD) People don't use this one as often, but it can be VERY useful. For example, you can give Link a "pseudo item", by having the Text say that Link picks up the item off the floor or whatever, Text Adventure style, and activating a Boss Flag in that room at the same time. Then in another room, if the Boss Flag is activated (or, essentially, if Link "got" that item), it interacts with him differently. In 2.10, where you don't have custom items except for Misc 1 and Misc 2 (and you're better off giving Misc 1 a Rupee graphic for "pay to enter" rooms, so that just leaves Misc 2), this technique allows Link to collect event items that normally shouldn't exist. Another use: For when Link is fighting a custom boss that can't talk, and *notices* something unusual about the boss, such as its weak point, and you want to explain that in text to give the player a hint. That, too, is something I've used.

So you see, if you think about it, there's a lot more to strings than giving Link directions through maze paths.

Oh right! Maze paths! I need to let you guys know, don't be afraid to get out-of-the-box with your maze paths too! Instead of the guy just telling you the four directions to go, have him give you a riddle instead. For example, some crazy old man could say "It was 12 o'clock for two hours, then the clock started skipping ahead 3 hours at a time!" which would translate into Up, Up, Right, Down. One thing I did in one of my dungeons was have a trident-shaped dungeon path, and in the middle "prong" was a maze path... while the left and right prongs each had a talking Armos in them. The one on the right said "Walk towards this room first, then escape to the north." The one on the left said "Walk towards this room second, then escape to the north." The path was Right, Up, Left, Up. One misleading puzzle I'm putting in a maze path in the desert has a bunch of graves forming an arrow to the left, but the path is Left, Down, Down, Down. In some secret dungeon a talking Cuccoo tells you to go to the desert, follow the arrow once and escape south. People who haven't visited the Cuccoo will assume the arrow is the way to go, but it's not entirely. You can use tricks like that too, and it's all thanks to strings. icon_smile.gif

Anyone have anything else they'd like to add? I basically just wrote this thing 'cause I was in a writing mood. ^_^

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:31 PM

I hate making strings. Don't get me wrong, storyline is the most important part of a quest. But the way ZQuest handles it is annoying. I have to type on part at a time, center it, link it to the next one. It drives me crazy!

#3 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:32 PM

What is the purpose of this topic?

Edited by lucas92, 07 June 2008 - 05:33 PM.

#4 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

I guess he's just sharing his opinions... which is good... and his post also gives me inspiration... because Schwa seems like an awfully driven quest maker :3
Awfully, as in good :3
Thanks for the read, Schwa...
I enjoy setting em up myself... I hate the string editor, but I love writing the text. The text is the main thing in storydriven quests... so it really drives me :3

#5 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:43 PM

Actually I love the string editor. I guess I've gotten used to it. I loathe the one in 2.5b though. X_X

Here's something else I'd like to add about Strings... It's a good idea to write the strings AS YOU NEED 'EM instead of jumping ahead and writing ones in advance. For a few reasons. One, you never know how your game may change by the time you need the strings, making them obsolete, and two, the String Selector has no auto-organization feature, so when the strings you need are sandwiched between hundreds of others, locating them in the Selector is a Pain. In. The. Ass. @_@

Thanks for mentioning how driven I am, Migo. I agree. icon_kawaii.gif

#6 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:46 PM

Dialogue is one of the biggest part to games. Not only does it break apart the gameplay so that the game isn't so monotonous. It also moves the plot and gives lots of details that would be hard for the game to express any other way. And, perhaps most importantly... it tells the player what to do. Long gone are the days where the player has absolutely no clue what he's doing and where he's going. Dialogue can simply point the player in the right direction. I've always hated it when I have no clue where to go. icon_frown.gif

So, yeah, dialogue is important.

#7 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:12 PM

Dialogue in games is very important. Eternal Winter probably as close to 300 strings, and that's in classic. Dialogue and storyline in games are some of the most important things in setting the atmosphere for the games and generally making them fun.

I personally love the string editor. Linking them together is a little annoying, but it's not that bad, and it allows you to have as much dialogue as you want.

#8 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:25 PM

Anyone who says they love the string editor obviously has not tried out the 2.5 version. I hate that one! 2.10's was okay though.

#9 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:47 PM

Haha, for a classic styled quest, I'll never have many...

For others? Much, much more.

#10 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

Just because it's a classic quest, that doesen't mean you can't have a lot of strings. :3
No, I don't wanna start an argument again :3

And yes Scwha, the one in 2.0 was okay... the one in the builds is too ***** ** *** * ** *** *** ** * ** * * * bad! :3
But it works, I guess.

#11 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:57 PM

I know, Migo. I did have one classic quest with a lot of strings... maybe I'll finish it one day. Just saying that the other classic quests I've worked on never had too many. Doesn't mean they shouldn't, though icon_wink.gif

#12 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:38 PM

Y'know what'd really improve the string editor? A button which would create a new string, and link the previous string to that new string. That way, you don't have to make both strings, then go back to the previous one (Or have to find it...) and link it up.

#13 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:40 PM

That's a brilliant idea! Now to find somebody to implant it. *Cough*_L_*Cough*

#14 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Jun 7 2008, 08:38 PM) View Post

Y'know what'd really improve the string editor? A button which would create a new string, and link the previous string to that new string. That way, you don't have to make both strings, then go back to the previous one (Or have to find it...) and link it up.

No, what would be better... is if it would let you type as much as you want in a block and ZC would automatically break it into groups of 3 lines to display in ZC.

So, say I just typed...

OMG, this is the best thing ever!
I love the way this string works.
Too bad they don't actually have
this in Zelda Classic!

It would group the first three lines to be printed at once, then after hitting a, then next line would be printed (and the two following, if it had any). However, this would be typed in one "string". That would be a lot easier. icon_razz.gif

Edited by LinktheMaster, 07 June 2008 - 09:17 PM.

#15 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:53 PM

Nah, I like ST's idea better (as usual XD). Sometimes I want to only use two or even one of my three available lines in a string, is the thing.

Man, CastChaos still needs to find this thread... He'd have some cool things to say about this, seeing as how Ballad of a Bloodline is utterly saturated with plot-based dialouge... and I only played the two-level DEMO... o_o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users