Photo

Best Version to Work With

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:38 AM

Nothing so long as you're not editing or recoloring a tile that uses a level pallete. If you are then be prepared to throw your keyboard at your computer as you'll be doing alot of extra clicking. Other than that 798 is really good. icon_smile.gif

And Petoe: I totally get what you're saying. Back in the 200's to like 500's builds from b16 **** was constantly being changed that led to tons of corruptions in quests. I had two quest files get corrupted not to mention the fact that every new build I had to hit the defaults button for my items because they got screeeewwey.

There is not much of that anymore though. Everything is compatable, most of the bugs are petty, and I have no problems opening up 798 and building a quest in it. At this rate we'll have an awesome build better than 2.10 and 1.92 in no time. (by no time I mean a few months)

Personally, If I had to use anything less than the new builds, then I'd stop using ZC. I'll never touch 1.92 and 2.10 again. Ever. Download 798 and play some newer quests with it. There's some that use the newer features in the expo here, check some of those out. Check out Zodiac, check out my demo, and I think Joe here has one where you can ride epona.

#17 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE(Gleeok @ Jun 8 2008, 06:38 PM) View Post

Personally, If I had to use anything less than the new builds, then I'd stop using ZC. I'll never touch 1.92 and 2.10 again. Ever.

Hey, I'm the same. icon_wink.gif
Lost Isle was built with one of the 2.5 betas/builds and after getting to use all the new features, there's no going back anymore. 2.10 just feels... archaic in comparision. Ugh.

So I have 2 options: to stop questmaking or wait an eternity for ZC 2.5. Because no matter how much you try to assure me, I don't believe that it is safe to build quests with the current builds. The developers have an unbeliveable tendency to always ***** up and make quests started with earlier builds incompatible with the new ones. Of course it might be true that this has finally changed but forgive me for not believing it for a second.

Hmm... build 813 seems good, I will download it and start fooling around with it, maybe even report ZC bugs even though I don't believe it makes no difference but anyhoo, it's hard to get back to ZCing when there are these new additions and there's no explanations of how they work. And all these scripts... like riding Epona etc, does anyone care to explain how to make that all happen while I'm waiting for a scripting tutorial which may very well never be released. icon_unsettled.gif

#18 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE(Peteo @ Jun 9 2008, 12:15 AM) View Post
...it's hard to get back to ZCing when there are these new additions and there's no explanations of how they work.

ORLY?

Also, have you tried using PZC's Search feature? Whenever I can't figure out how something works, I search PZC's forums with the Search button and about 87.5% of the time I get my answer (more often than not thanks to ShadowTiger icon_kawaii.gif ).

Creativity-based programs don't HAVE to be centered around convenience, you know. If they were, would Rom Hacking be any fun? Would making something in RPGmaker2003 or XP be any fun? icon_confused.gif We're here to create, with whatever we've got to do it with. Don't forget that. icon_wink.gif

Also, Peteo, have you thought about training yourself to master ZScript, so by the time 2.5b becomes finished (and it WILL be finished, you pessimist), you'll already be awesome at scripting and will be able to make some awesome custom bosses or whatever? Look at Joe123 and Gleeok. I'd say they've already got quite a head start for when 2.5b is completed. Though I don't really know how either would fare making an actual Quest... I've seen their scripts, which are AWESOME, but Questmaking is more than just scripting. (Yes, Joe, I'm challenging you. icon_blah.gif )

#19 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:28 AM

Heh, yeah, just give me a scripting guide/tutorial and I will start learning scripting. Oh wait, there isn't any guides yet and I wonder if there will ever be. Nice try. icon_wink.gif

Anyways, thanks for the ZCWiki link, I almost forgot it existed, and even though it lacks lots of stuff, it helps a bit.

BTW, when did the main screen of ZQuest get that drastic change? I mean, those added combo tables and command boxes and all that stuff, how long has it been there? It will take a while for me to get used to this new Zquest... O_o

#20 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:35 AM

LARGE MOOOOODE!!!!

*Everyone jumps on the ground and covers their heads*

Aaahh, umm. Well..You can change that in the options menu.

To be honest, I forget there even IS a large mode.

Well yeah, there's alot in the wiki, But it's not absolute. There's lots of gaps.. There are some threads on scripting for newbs though. But no Comprehensive Scripting for Monkeys yet.

#21 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jun 9 2008, 08:51 AM) View Post
(Yes, Joe, I'm challenging you. icon_blah.gif )

Challenge accepted ;-)
http://www.purezc.co...showtopic=33460
I'd advise playing it in the latest build, the one that I've said to use there won't allow the bosses to function properly.
Pretty nasty bug that DD's fixed now.
http://www.purezc.co...&...st&p=505221
And that's the demo of my current project with Russ.
It's not very long, but it shows that I can actually build quests as opposed to just scripting.
They're unpassworded, just incase you wanted to look inside.
I also have a demo of a game that I made back in 2.10, that's got some pretty solid dungeons and things I think, using the FFA tileset that I made. But that's 2.10. So meh.

Did you look at the scripting section of the wiki Peteo?
It's pretty extensive now, thanks to Scary Binary.

There's also:
http://www.geocities...ipttutorial.txt
http://www.armageddo...ead.php?t=94699
http://www.purezc.co...showtopic=25946
http://zctut.com/script1.php

Those links that I usually post at people asking for scripting tutorials.
They're not very extensive, but they should help if you're willing to put in the effort.
If you want to learn though, I'd advise you start by using some pre-written scripts, then try to learn how they work and modify them to fit your needs. That's what I did anyway.

#22 Papa

Papa

Disruptive and obnoxious member since 2005

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE(Peteo @ Jun 8 2008, 01:26 AM) View Post

I believe ZC 1.92 b183 is STILL the stablest and most bugfree ZC there is, though 2.10 is pretty good too I guess, I dunno. I'd like to get back to ZCing as well but ZC is pure crap these days with no sign of anything stable ever coming out. icon_frown.gif

*grins* I knew I always liked this guy, hehheh.

I have to agree. Having used 2.10 for a few mini's, AND mostly incomplete ideas, I found it to be alright as well.
But I always found myself coming back to 1.92b183. Maybe its just the familiarity, I don't know. But its always been my preferred
version as well.

#23 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Jun 9 2008, 07:19 PM) View Post

If you want to learn though, I'd advise you start by using some pre-written scripts, then try to learn how they work and modify them to fit your needs. That's what I did anyway.

Hmm... would you be kind enough and tell Peteo that did you have any scritping/programming experience or knowledge before you started messing around with ZC scripts? Because if you're like me who has no idea of scripting then maybe I can learn Zscript if you could. But if you weren't as stupid monkey as I am what comes to scripting right now then I truly need that "a step by step scripting guide for beginners" to get even started... icon_neutral.gif

#24 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:23 PM

I had absolutely no knowledge of any coding language before learning ZScript.

#25 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Jun 9 2008, 11:23 PM) View Post

I had absolutely no knowledge of any coding language before learning ZScript.

In that case, maybe I have some hope of becoming at least decent with ZScript, I dunno, I have to take a good look at the current examples and guides there are about the matter. But it doesn't remove the fact that we need a "Zscript guide for monkeys" some day...

#26 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:50 PM

That would be nice, and I'd be willing to write it; I can write reams and reams about how different things work when I get into it, but I wouldn't know where to start.

#27 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:56 PM

Well, I guess you could start by disecting your own scripts so newbs like me can see what each piece of code does and why it's necessary to the script. Just a suggestion.

I share the sentiments of some people here about never using 1.92 or 2.10, and sticking with 2.5, though my reason is a little more singular: NPCs. Simple as that. I was never happy with the lack of NPC support in the previous versions, and the work-around (using warp tiles) wasn't good enough for me because of the one-warp-per-screen limitation. I have nothing against the quests made in these versions that had villages of a dozen inaccessible houses and just as many mute villagers, but I couldn't see myself spending the time making a virtual ghost town. I find the characters of a game like Zelda to be very important to the story and the land, and Zelda Classic just wasn't able to deliver on the scale I wanted.

Discovering the four-warps-per-screen in Castle Haunt 3 (2.11 beta) and the real_npcs script that Beta Link uses in Island of Dreams (2.5 build 731) caused me to jump for joy into ZQuest. So, no, I'm not touching the earlier versions.

And, yes, Peteo, large mode is....... weird. It's great to have all that stuff at your fingertips, but it's still....... weird.

#28 jman2050

jman2050

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

For what it's worth, I stopped using 2.10 to play 2.10 and earlier quests about, oh, 2 years ago. Mostly so I can always keep up-to-date as far as compatibility with older quests, and partially because the continue bug ruined more quests than any bugs in the betas since then tbh.

As far as the betas go, one thing is that for a program of this nature I find it hard to really come to a consensus as to what constitutes the "final" version. There are several inefficiencies in the engine that can't be addressed without overhauling the system completely, but we already said we weren't doing that until 2.5 comes out. Thing is, many of these inefficiencies cause stability/speed problems on some systems.

All things considered though, I know we're close. The newer betas are relatively bug-free, with only minor annoyances to take care of. Any major bugs that break quests are being addressed as quickly as possible (in fact, as I speak I'm preparing the next beta which fixes Sideview mode). The only major additions I'm planning on further is 1)to go full-circle with the scripting engine and implement weapon and npc scripts and 2) To phase out small mode and retool ZQ's interface to use the large GUI, because the former ZQ GUI sucks and always did suck and I refuse to let anyone use it anymore.

Edited by jman2050, 09 June 2008 - 09:44 PM.

#29 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE(jman2050 @ Jun 9 2008, 09:37 PM) View Post

All things considered though, I know we're close. The newer betas are relatively bug-free, with only minor annoyances to take care of. Any major bugs that break quests are being addressed as quickly as possible (in fact, as I speak I'm preparing the next beta which fixes Sideview mode). The only major additions I'm planning on further is 1)to go full-circle with the scripting engine and implement weapon and npc scripts and 2) To phase out small mode and retool ZQ's interface to use the large GUI, because the former ZQ GUI sucks and always did suck and I refuse to let anyone use it anymore.

Eh, but if you do that, could I recommend you modify it a bit? Some of the things are in fact too small, despite it being the larger version. To be specific, the map and page up/down menu. I'd also like to ask for something to compensate for us widescreen users (like black bars on the sides), but that may be too much to ask for. icon_blah.gif

#30 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE(jman2050 @ Jun 9 2008, 10:37 PM) View Post

2) To phase out small mode and retool ZQ's interface to use the large GUI, because the former ZQ GUI sucks and always did suck and I refuse to let anyone use it anymore.

Explanation please? Sorry if I'm retarded or something...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users