Best Version to Work With

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:28 PM

Well, I'm thinking about possibly fiddling with ZQuest again. I probably won't come up with much of anything big, but I'd like to know... what's the best version? I'd like a version with a lot of features, but few bugs. I'm probably asking for too much, but overall, what do you all think is the best beta to use?

#2 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:47 PM

Always use the CURRENT BUILD if you're planning on using the betas.

Reason: While the current build might or might not be buggy NOW, remember that the devs are constantly fixing those bugs and updating. That, and when you're a computer guy, it's just a good habit to always keep up to date with the current technology. (Except for downloading Vista. Don't download Vista. Ever.) It's the principle more than anything else.

If you're not willing to use the most current build no matter what, IMO you're better off using 2.10. In fact, I recommend you use 2.10 no matter what if you haven't actually finished a Quest in it yet. It may be more limited than 2.5b, but you don't have the added pressure of trying to figure out which of your Quest's problems are beta bugs and which are your own screwups. Also, if you're creative enough, you can do things in 2.10 that you wouldn't normally think even remotely possible, so really, there's no NEED to use the betas yet. icon_smile.gif

'Course this is all just my speculation on stuff... Either way, welcome back to your status as Questmaker, and I probably speak for everyone when I say we can't wait to see what kinda awesomesauce you produce for the community. icon_w00t.gif

#3 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:54 PM

I'm not using the latest build. icon_razz.gif Right now I have the second latest, I believe. The latest has that darned string bug. XD

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Jun 7 2008, 02:54 PM) View Post

I'm not using the latest build. icon_razz.gif Right now I have the second latest, I believe. The latest has that darned string bug. XD

Oh, that was a bug. That explains it. Well, use the second latest build. Except for that minor bug that made the blue warp squares disappear, it's fine.

#5 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:06 PM

I found Build 731 to work well. I haven't run into any bugs in Triforce of the Gods. That's just me, though...

#6 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:26 AM

I believe ZC 1.92 b183 is STILL the stablest and most bugfree ZC there is, though 2.10 is pretty good too I guess, I dunno. I'd like to get back to ZCing as well but ZC is pure crap these days with no sign of anything stable ever coming out. icon_frown.gif

#7 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:51 AM

http://www.purezc.co...&...st&p=509064

Can you please desist from going round and telling us how awful Zelda Classic is nowdays?
If you want Zelda Classic to be more stable, do something about it, rather than telling us how crap it is.

What was the last build you ever opened?
Have you tried 731?

Go and build a quest in it, and when it ZQuest crashes on you every 5 minutes then fine, maybe it'll be more valid that you find it necessary to keep repeating how useless a program it is, but I really do not see that happening.[/rant]

On a side note (or actually, on a note related to the topic), I quite liked 743 and 780.
798 would've been great, except they missed the blue warp return squares out by accident, and the newest build would be very good, but _L_'s accidentaly given us a nice 'if you make a new string you get a system crash' bug.
He's fixed that though, so when we have a new build, it should be free of any major problems.

Edited by Joe123, 08 June 2008 - 03:52 AM.

#8 AntonJ3000

AntonJ3000

Junior

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:57 AM

I use 1.92 b183
1.90 Is DOS
2.10 does not like Winamp.
2.11 is not submit-able.
2.5 betas is (what i've heard) Not to use because they are extremly buggy!

#9 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:27 AM

QUOTE(AntonJ3000 @ Jun 8 2008, 03:57 AM) View Post

2.5 betas is (what i've heard) Not to use because they are extremly buggy!

Do you believe in the tooth fairy also?

780, 731, and 743 are good. Only use 798 if you are not editing tiles, and 809 is...well, stay away from that.

They ARE getting better....It's just like a roller coaster ride. It seems stabler, it gets buggy, it gets more stable, WHOA! Big bug! .it gets fixed, more bugs, less bugs, more bugs...But every 3,4 builds, one of them is really good.

I'm using 798 for ArcTan. B)

#10 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

You should use the latest builds, always, unless you want to use 2.10. I'm currently working on 796, I waited for 806 to come out, but there is another darn bug in it, so I guess I can wait a little longer...

#11 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:35 AM

QUOTE(Gleeok @ Jun 8 2008, 12:27 PM) View Post

Apparently Peteo does.

ArcTan is so awesome =)

Edited by Joe123, 08 June 2008 - 06:36 AM.

#12 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Jun 8 2008, 04:35 AM) View Post

ArcTan is so awesome =)

ArcTan is the foshizzzzledizzilizzziiile!!!11

Try converting sprite radians to degrees with *(180/PI). icon_cool.gif

I'm gonna write a poem about ArcTan!!

...Whered that thread go...

Edited by Gleeok, 08 June 2008 - 06:48 AM.

#13 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:57 AM

The point I'm trying to make is that even IF (and that's a big effing if) the latest builds were stable enough for questmaking, there's no guarantee that a quest you start building now will work in the next builds, so every sane quest developer should stay away from the builds unless they just want to fool around with them and test ZC bugs. Believe me, I'm talking with the voice of experience after being ***ed around by the developers of ZC.

Joe123, before you try to be such a smartass, try to build a few epic quests first and dedicate tons of your free time for ZC and then come back to say these silly things that are coming out of your mouth, thank you. icon_smile.gif

#14 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE(Peteo @ Jun 8 2008, 12:57 PM) View Post
The point I'm trying to make is that even IF (and that's a big effing if) the latest builds were stable enough for questmaking, there's no guarantee that a quest you start building now will work in the next builds

When was the last time you actually worked in a build Peteo?

The current builds are compatible not only with new releases, but with previous builds.

If I start a quest now in build 798, I could open it and work on it in build 809 and in build 796.

There may have been changes in the past that stopped compatability between builds, but they're certainly not relevant now.

And even if one change is made between two builds that does require you to change around something you've just made, so what?
That's how it works.
You have to be flexible.
If you're not, that's your problem. It's not necessary for you to go around telling us how bad it is just because you can't get used to that. If everyone else can, why can't you?

so every sane quest developer should stay away from the builds unless they just want to fool around with them and test ZC bugs.

Joe123, before you try to be such a smartass, try to build a few epic quests first and dedicate tons of your free time for ZC and then come back to say these silly things that are coming out of your mouth, thank you. icon_smile.gif

I do dedicate a very high percentage of my free time to Zelda Classic.
Go and have a look and how much time I've devoted to helping other people learn how to use the program in the ZQuest Editor Help and Scripting Discussion forums.

Not having released as major a project as you certainly doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.
I've spent enough time working with the program to have gained a pretty reasonable understanding as to how it works, and how to use it well, and judging from what you've said about using the betas, probably a better understanding of how it is at present than you.

And if you think I'm some stupid newbie just because I haven't released a quest as big as Lost Isle, are C-Dawg, jman2050 (who happens to be a developer...) and ShadowTiger's opinions not enough to go by?

Go and actually try using the builds, and then come back and 'say these silly things that are coming out of your mouth'.

Edited by Joe123, 08 June 2008 - 07:55 AM.

#15 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE(Gleeok @ Jun 8 2008, 06:27 AM) View Post

Gah. icon_frown.gif I want to use that, but it sucks if it doesn't work well before that. I think I'm going to mess around with 780. Though. What exactly is wrong with the tile editing in 798?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users