what do you want from me?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:27 PM

Before you start blasting out insane requests like: fully customized scripts, rpg battles, tons of towns, NPCs to talk to, event-driven sequences, custom bosses for every battle, chase sequences...etc. I can't DO any of that. My knowledge of the Zscript and some of the more complicated newer features of ZC and the limited time I have right now in my life prevents me from learning the more complicated sections of Zquest.
So with that disclaimer out of the way, if I were to make another solid Zelda-style quest. What new features would you like me to use to make the quest feel fresh even though I'm re-hashing what I do best? What would you look for in a new quest of mine that would make you want to play through it, knowing the basis of it is simply 'another solid quest from Wolfie?'

EDIT: you can even suggest a tileset I could use if that helps. icon_razz.gif

Edited by DarkFlameWolf, 02 April 2008 - 03:38 PM.

#2 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

What I probably want to see the most is a modern-esque type Zelda game that can pull off what the original did: Almost all screens explorable with little or no items, and dungeons explorable in any order. Heck, I'd like to see it where the dungeons are really more optionable, rather than required. But hey, that's just me.

#3 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:35 PM

I'd recommend a very in-depth story, one that is accustomed to a sort of new style. I'd recommend trying a new era in Hyrule's history; actually, something not too modern but still in the old times. Maybe something near the equivalent of the times around the 1900s, where mass exploration ends up finding the rock that sealed Ganon and a rusty blade stuck inside it.

Except the rock was "stolen" one day from the exhibit... and the broken, rusty sword remained.

#4 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

Something like MC, that has a huge overworld area to cover before each dungeon. (With cutscenes.) And few dungeons like MC. A lot of people would disagree...

#5 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:46 PM

In all honesty, if a quest is made with your style, you don't really need extra fancy things.

First, allow me to say some things about those "insane" features.

Scripts:
Not required, but they don't take your time up either. Since you only need to ask others to make scripts. Implementing them is easy to learn even with few free time.

RPG battles:
Not only not required, but would look bad in a ZC quest, unless all battles are RPG battles. No need.

Tons of towns:
One main town is enough. But if people complain, you can make an overworld/dungeon to be townish, that counts, too.

Event-driven sequences:
A big story type quest hardly can exist without them, no matter you mean one timed events or cutscenes. But hey, if you make it, it surely gets super.

Custom bosses for every battle:
Well, dear DFW, I dislike when main bosses aren't custom. It can ruin a quest when after a magnificent dungeon there are just two aquamentuses thrown there. However! With the enemy editor you can make a completely new enemy/enemy pack. That can be slightly considered as a custom boss.

Chase sequences:
You mean like the end of LI? Not required, but I don't see why would they last longer to make than ordinary screens. icon_blink.gif

So, you surely expect people want something new, so you directly ask what new you should give... Well, you could completely break the "overworld=>dungeon=>triforce=> (repeat seven times) => final dungeon=>end" sequence, with main treasure (like Triforce pieces) hidden usually not at the end of a dungeon, rather also at a hardly accessible part of an overworld (like a mountain whiches trail is like a dungeon), put another under a bush (which can be accessed only after you got some items from dungeons or the just recommended new places), bought in a shop (for insane price, or in a hardly accessed place).
Other great thing is when a dungeon is accessed only from certain another dungeon, and like there is an overworld where you can get only by warp and every NPC says it's far away, but when you open a hill, it gets revealed it's just near the main overworld.

#6 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:31 PM

Okay: I want a Storyline heavy quest out of you. I don't know if that would mean hiring a Storyline writer or doing it yourself, but one that has NPCs to talk to. As many or more sidequests as Lost Isle, but ones that involve characters.

Also, it's not imperative that you use many scripts, but some script work would be nice.

Most of all, although I want your game to be "revolutionary" if that's what you want, I don't want it to go so far off the beaten track that it isn't Zelda anymore.

#7 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:59 PM

Hmm... As for a storyline, I don't want anything futuristic, like how some Zelda fans want a Star Wars-like Zelda game. icon_shrug.gif That, however, doesn't mean it has to take place in midieval times. I think something like an early 1900s, late 1800s setting would be good. Maybe it should involve "real" threats from that time, like the Nazis, or maybe it'll involve the Great Depression. Maybe Ganon is found in the Meditteranean (sp?) Sea (with the MS in his head) and is taken by the US government, and then they revive Ganon, etc. etc. world blows up, etc. etc. icon_razz.gif

... Or it could just take place in midieval times like all other Zelda games. icon_razz.gif

#8 trucky5

trucky5

"WHAT KIND ARE THEY?" THEY'RE GUATIBALIAN!

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

I suggest you do pure tileset. Another suggestion that not many people do (except shoelace) is actually have your story unfold while the game goes along. Make sure you have a good story too.

#9 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

so far, I'm getting 'story' as a consistent recommendation. icon_razz.gif

#10 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

Personally, I would have to agree with Story. But another thing I'd like to see is the continuity of the level-specific "themes" like you had in Lost Isle.

#11 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE(ZebraStallion @ Apr 2 2008, 09:36 PM) View Post

Something like MC, that has a huge overworld area to cover before each dungeon. (With cutscenes.) And few dungeons like MC. A lot of people would disagree...

Yeah, that's the sort of thing I'd be after.

Most importantly though, smooth gameplay.
It has to look and feel professional.

#12 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

I remember LI had a big overworld but most of the gameplay took place in the dungeons...

#13 king-n

king-n

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:46 AM

Secret dungeons depicting a mysterious lost culture.

#14 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:21 AM

Okay... I would go for a storyline here, yes...
Infact, I think a quest without a storyline is pointless... really... a waste of time... :/
Now, is this going to be a quest you make completly on your own?
Cause... You know, I do have this wish of making a quest with you one day...

But yes, I would go for a storyline quest... A heavy storyline...
Not much else would work in my opinion.

#15 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Vanice in DFS' heart

• Members

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:35 AM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Apr 3 2008, 09:30 AM) View Post

so far, I'm getting 'story' as a consistent recommendation. icon_razz.gif
We will see thought-out pure and sad love story by our DFW. icon_biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users