• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(Siguy)
When you're typing fast you're hands often out of habit try for the easier spelling of the word you're (typo: your) thinking in your head.

I've... never done that.

And no -- unfortunately-- not everybody knows the difference. When I was in school, people wrote nearly as terrible as they type (Read as: They still can't use the two correctly).

Honestly, I don't understand. Your/You're mistakes are even more common than there/their/they're.

Than/then is pretty bad too. icon_wink.gif

#17 Brandon1

Brandon1

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:53 AM

Lol, I am not native american and English is not even my main language and I have never had the problem with the your and you're icon_smile.gif. It surprising to see that many native americans have lots of grammar errors in their English...

#18 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

I cringe at spelling errors.
They hurt my eyes.

IPB Image

#19 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

your Stoopid omg like you're sister!

*gets shot*

No, seriously, I totally agree with you.

#20 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE(GoldenChocobo @ Jul 16 2007, 11:54 AM) View Post

IPB Image
That's really good. Is it you'res? icon_deformed.gif

#21 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jul 16 2007, 12:11 PM) View Post

That's really good. Is it you'res? icon_deformed.gif

>__< My eyes!

Anyway, no, it's not mine. I found it somewhere long ago.

#22 Snarwin

Snarwin

Still Lazy After All These Years

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE(Siguy @ Jul 16 2007, 11:27 AM) View Post
When you're typing fast you're hands often out of habit try for the easier spelling of the word you're (typo: your) thinking in your head.
I see what you did there.

Still, people who do know the difference really ought to be able to catch things like that. Personally, I make it a rule to preview and read through any post I make that's longer than a couple of sentences for precisely that reason. It requires almost no effort, takes very little time, and can help enormously, especially if you want people like Teilelyer to take you seriously. The problem, I think, is when people
  1. don't care about being taken seriously, or
  2. don't realize that they don't know the correct usage, and thus ignore people who try to teach them.
Anyone else has no excuse.

(Just kidding, Teilyr, I know how to spell your name.)

#23 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:24 PM

It's an interesting phenomenon, really. People remain ignorant to the correct usage on the English language, but if you look around the interent you'll find that all site admins, almost invariably, use correct grammar and punctuation, and most funny internet videos and such also use the language correctly.

#24 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jul 16 2007, 07:24 PM) View Post

It's an interesting phenomenon, really. People remain ignorant to the correct usage on the English language, but if you look around the interent you'll find that all site admins, almost invariably, use correct grammar and punctuation, and most funny internet videos and such also use the language correctly.

That's because if you use good grammar, you seem more intelligent, even though it may not necessarily be true. icon_deformed.gif

#25 4matsy

4matsy

SHE WILL WAKE ONLY WITH THE POWER OF NO. 3 CHEESEFORCE

• Members

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE(UN Squadron)
"You're plane can't handle it!"

Just do what I did when I saw the above line: blame those who weren't thinking when they made the English language, laugh, and move on. There's not really anything you can do about it anyway, as such common words are already far too deeply rooted in people's heads. icon_razz.gif

#26 Siguy

Siguy

• Members

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jul 16 2007, 09:24 PM) View Post

They didn't get the position of Administrator by typing in chatspeak.

#27 Skipper

Skipper

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

Teilyr, I've been loyal all these years. I think.

...Now where's the cookie?

By the way, guys. Allow me to explain something: Teilyr's like Ben, in a way: He posts random topics, wanting a conversation about ANYTHING. And that's cool. XD

Anyway, post over, back to hiding.

#28 Spantac

Spantac

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:30 AM

I know it's annoying, but people make mistakes.

Don't forget:
Its - belongs to it.
It's - It is.

The very first post in this topic is not grammatically correct in a couple of places, and it's complaining about people who can't spell. This is coming from the girl who hand-writes Gs instead of Ds.

#29 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, and mistakes are fine (heck, people will tell you that I make little spelling errors all the time) but people who just don't care get on my nerves. Usually, I'll edit old posts if someone points it out... I'm just that OCD.

#30 MarioBrosCom

MarioBrosCom

Adept

• Members

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

Don't bother... it's fun to ridicule people for their bad grammar, and I wouldn't want to people start getting educated any time soon; it would kill the fun icon_razz.gif .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users