Level 7 Path

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tox_von

tox_von

Zelda Addict

• Members

Posted 07 February 2015 - 10:26 PM

ok like my other paths looking to add more i made another warp place and some vines might add some frogs for blocks and do more to flood the 2nd day which isnt really used yet.i like level 8 its a swamp which floods from shallow water to deep water and you need to swim and dive around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpagehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GyI0ryYgc4M&x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=agr5Lm56Br4&feature=youtu.be&feature=youtu.be

Edited by tox_von, 07 February 2015 - 10:29 PM.

#2 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:40 AM

I can't wait for the Level 8 and 9 path. Keep it up!

#3 tox_von

tox_von

Zelda Addict

• Members

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:42 AM

why cant you give some tips on what to add not sarcasm? My quests are really technical and need more development i can add a lot more but need input to do so. Like a mentor or editor type stuff i think its called on gamemaker.

#4 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:49 AM

How the hell is that sarcasm?

Also, congrats on making the best quest ever! I really like the massive pile of bugs, the tile errors, and the beautiful totally not clichéd story.
  • Binx likes this

#5 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:52 AM

It was not sarcasm. I like the idea of you doing developer walkthroughs.

#6 tox_von

tox_von

Zelda Addict

• Members

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:07 AM

ok but why no tips on what to add?

What do you mean no story? theres a flood coming its a simple story.

i can fix the other bugs thats easy but i need to add more.

Edited by tox_von, 08 February 2015 - 03:08 AM.

#7 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:13 AM

Okay then. If you want tips, I got plenty. I put a lot of thought and time into making this piece of criticism, so I hope you do listen up and keep this in mind for future projects. Bonus points if you can improve your current projects with these tips in mind. So anyway, first up, we have the most common issue of all your projects so far. Undercombo errors.

What do I mean by that? Well...

JhaDubA.png

...Here I'm illustrating a segment of an overworld. Here we have bushes blocking our path forward. So naturally (no pun intended) we have to cut them down to pass by right?

PM7Poza.png

But then this happens. This is the case for 99% of your overworld screens. Honestly, undercombo issues are some of the most obvious and common bugs out there, and they have multiple ways of being fixed and ironed out, and they are all easy to follow. So not fixing them is going to make a lot of people lose faith in your quest design and beta tester abilities.

How do we fix this? Well here's the most basic on them all. Firstly, copy (by pressing the c key), move (by pressing the m key) and assign your combos like this:

CfFsoHi.png

Copying them and moving them will result in not having to go through every screen and fix everything, so it's very essential you know about the move function now and forever. But anywho, put your desired undercombos on the right side of your bush tiles like in the image. This set up has to be precise for the fix to work. Now modify your bushes so the "Type" is "Bush->Next". This is why your undercombo goes on the right side of the bush graphics. Think of "Bush->Next" as "Bush->Automatic Undercombo". Once you iron the undercombo bugs out. Congrats! Majority of your overworld is now less super buggy and more polished!

To make sure you know what "Type" to use, your window should look like this:

yTd2QDq.png

Another problem is the repetitiveness of your quests. You are basically going through a tight maze, with several variations to make it even more confusing. Then you have to find all the keys in order to proceed to the next dungeon. This is why people give up, because they get lost and confused very easily. An overworld can be a maze, but not something this convoluted and limited in space. It makes dealing with enemies (especially without a sword or weapon in general) a pain to deal with.

Also refrain from using cheat codes in your recordings. Advertising your quest professional will go a long way and captivate people's interest. Showcasing a playthrough with a ton of errors and use of cheat codes does not look that promising. Also sound please?

I hope this helps...

• Eddy, Haylee and Orithan like this

#8 tox_von

tox_von

Zelda Addict

• Members

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:55 AM

ok i can fix undercombos thats easy.

All Zelda Quests are a maze and i like the maze style like Gauntlet Lolo etc A lot of classic nes games were.

How should i make finding the keys easier more breadcrumbs like guys telling there directions maybe?

The reason i used cheat codes is my quest is incomplete the start is almost fully done but at the end it unwravels.

#9 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:29 AM

I just want to come in and say, tox_von, that Shane does not need to give out tips or criticism if he does not want to. There's nothing requiring him to do so. I believe words of encouragement are also very helpful to quest makers, and that is what Shane was trying to accomplish. :)

Anyway, as for your video, the overworld is looking interesting. I still think that everything is slightly cluttered still and that it is difficult to maneuver around, but if you like that style in your overworld, that is fine. Keep it up, though; you are doing a decent job in your quest making!

• Shane likes this

#10 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

All Zelda Quests are a maze and i like the maze style like Gauntlet Lolo etc A lot of classic nes games were.

If you want that type of gameplay, I recommend adding more varied gimmicks and interesting objectives. The problem is that you have too many bushes everywhere. Take away the bushes to make the paths easier to navigate through. Now include new things or barriers.

As an idea, you could have enemies that patrol back and forth. I recommend to not use ZC enemies, but instead make your own, so you can control where they walk. Build your screens with enemies in mind and create some space or paths for them. You could also include navigational puzzles, but don't overdo it. So what I'm saying is, use less bushes and more other things. The screens shouldn't use too many different tiles and objects, so it all looks more clean.

• Shane likes this

#11 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:47 PM

I did not say there was no story, I said the story was cliche, as in overused and done a lot of time before. This is all nice, but try to put your own spin on it, please?

#12 tox_von

tox_von

Zelda Addict

• Members

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:56 PM

There is also a story to the tower that its being destroyed its like the majoras mask story that you need to save it. And the tower is on fire and being flooded and thats what the levels are doing. Eg the second level has all the dungeon flooded and some fires then the third dungeon is the same location the second day but the fire has burned through the floor and theres no flooding anymore. Also the top bits of the tower are just clouds. On my 4th quest Chaos Undivided i tried to make it less cluttered and on my 5th Moblin Woods less still i was trying to make quests like that. 

#13 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:54 PM

You are taking majoras mask's story... Don't. Make up your own story, don't steal another game's story.

EDIT: You are also taking the story of "Hyrules big flood". Really? Must you stoop that low just to think of a good story? 

EDIT2: And while I am at it, can you please make an effort to capitalize the beginning of each sentence and use proper punctiation? It makes what you are saying so much easier to read.

Edited by Arceus, 08 February 2015 - 08:08 PM.

#14 tox_von

tox_von

Zelda Addict

• Members

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:28 PM

I havent seen Hyrules big flood.

The tower being destroyed because a flood is coming isnt really much of a story anyway. its just a plot to play through. 

#15 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:44 PM

Arceus, I don't see what's wrong with, what you call, "stealing" a story. tox_von doesn't have to make up his own story if he doesn't want to. It's his quest and thus it is his choice if he wants to make a quest containing a supposedly already existing story. And as an example, how many quests in the database "steal" the original tLoZ plotline of going through 8 dungeons, collecting pieces of the triforce, and defeating some ultimate boss? I'm sorry, and I know you are trying to provide constructive criticism, but if tox_von wants to make a quest where the land is starting to flood (which I believe is a really interesting idea), why not let him? There's nothing low about that.

Anyway, tox_von, I think I have mentioned this before, but can you try to make the overworld have less bushes and other things that you have to manually cut down to move forward? I know you are trying to go for a maze-like quest, but removing some of the excessive bushes could make the quest better and less tedious. Otherwise, keep up the work! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users