To The Top

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#166 Maleboocado

Maleboocado

Gotta go fast!!!!!11

• Members

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:37 AM

Finished with both bad and good endings.
It's funny, it's tough and challenging but fair (except in boss battle with sudden enemies and hazards appearing where you stand from nowhere), it's very long and creative, and unpredictable.

It's also what I aren't searching in a quest. Its boss battles and those puzzles involving several movable blocks or quickly fading buttons are, by far, the worst parts of the game: examples of Simon Says-style design (move here, then there, then do that). Overall, I disliked Floor 9 (too much filler and the overworld is pretty boring, even with the 8x8 size limitation in mind).

But I liked not having the sword up until Floor 6, forcing the player to take a different approach against enemies. The dungeons are memorable (and every floor, save 9, is always better than the previous ones, despite this quest's heavy puzzle-oriented nature), and the OST choices are for the most part damn good.

So I'm not a fan of this quest, but I have some high-quality moments, specially with Floor 7 (my favourite) and 8. Hope it's a helpful review.
  • TheOnlyOne likes this

#167 Zeldara109

Zeldara109

Insert title here

• Members

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:35 PM

Hi, not sure if this is relevant, but I've created an image with all the floors' minimaps (initially for my own planning if I ever replay this), if anyone's interested. At least, I think I have all of them? I don't believe floor 5 has a variant map, and floor 1 and 3 seem to only change in color.

Major spoilers obviously, given how helpful this quest's maps are, but for those people who have trouble finding a key/path before reaching the map (floor 5's and 6's in particular seemed rather late in the floor), it might be less of a spoiler than a key list or something?

Spoiler

By the way, does there happen to be a list of the 200-rupee secrets, by any chance? Is there one per floor, or are they just arbitrary? If I recall correctly, I've found one on floor 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, and 10, and several on floor 9.

Also, are there any other optional items besides 8 heart containers, the cross, and the final Lost Halls' upgrade?

Edited by Zeldara109, 14 April 2015 - 12:17 AM.

#168 Useless Old Man Wisdom

Useless Old Man Wisdom

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:29 AM

wqzxdQr.png

What am I supposed to do against the boss at this point? Trying to sail through it on the raft path results in damage, and resets the bottom right torch/zora minions.

NVM: figured out the raft path.

Edited by Marv Albert, 07 April 2015 - 10:43 AM.

#169 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:43 AM

You can change the direction on the raft, dodge the boss. Press down when sailing

Edited by Air Luigi, 07 April 2015 - 10:44 AM.

#170 Zeldara109

Zeldara109

Insert title here

• Members

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:11 AM

If you don't mind a little (relevant) advertising, I've actually started working on an annotated video walkthrough of To The Top. Since it's overall quite good compared to the few other Zelda Classic quests I've played, and frequently involves searching for keys (or other items) in large complex floors, I think it deserves to have a video series somewhere.

As of the time I'm posting this, it's up to the end of floor 3.

https://www.youtube....KKDMq_Y-YM6G1y0

I make no guarantees that it'll be finished, though. Each video takes about 3 hours from determining an efficient route, recording, uploading, and annotating.

Edit 2015-8-3: Well, the walkthrough's up to floor 9 now. I think I might actually finish this...

Edited by Zeldara109, 03 August 2015 - 07:26 PM.

#171 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

Weird that my frame rate drops to low to mid 50s while playing this quest, and is 60 without issue in extremely script heavy quests.
Regardless, I'm in level 3 and enjoying.

#172 PiR

PiR

• Members

Posted 28 May 2015 - 12:50 PM

Hi!

I need help on floor 9. I've done everything except Mirage Tower; I can't find the silver leaf.

I picked up something after blowing up the entrance to the blue mountains but I couldn't see what it was for... Any hints?

By the way, this quest is awesome.

#173 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

Look for a goron in Geile, he has the silver leaf

#174 PiR

PiR

• Members

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:34 PM

Thanks!

Now I'm onto Floor 10!

#175 Bill Nye the Russian Spy

Bill Nye the Russian Spy

БИЛЛ БИЛЛ БИЛЛ БИЛЛ

• Members

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:03 PM

There's a very annoying glitch when fighting the boss on Floor 3: sometimes, after lighting all the torches, the room will simply reset as if you rafted into the boss rather than moving on to the next point in the fight. Is there a way to avoid this consistently?

EDIT: It seems running back and forth next to the bottom-left torch usually works. (FWIW, I'm on ZC 2.50.1.)

Edited by Bill Nye the Russian Spy, 03 October 2015 - 09:12 PM.

#176 Bill Nye the Russian Spy

Bill Nye the Russian Spy

БИЛЛ БИЛЛ БИЛЛ БИЛЛ

• Members

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:48 AM

I've reached the boss door on Floor 10, but can't find the key. I have six regular keys, and I've found the order in which I'm supposed to use them on a rock formation... which I can't find. The order hint was arranged in the same way as the statues in front of the boss door, so I tried using those as key blocks, but it didn't work.

I'm assuming the big key is where the key blocks are. Where is that?

EDIT: Found it.

Edited by Bill Nye the Russian Spy, 12 October 2015 - 01:00 AM.

#177 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:55 AM

First floor, 3rd column, bottom row.  You likely passed by this room.  Don't remember if it's just mirror boomerang itself or a reflected shot to go up where you'll find the 6 lock blocks leading to the boss key

Edited by pixcalibur, 12 October 2015 - 12:55 AM.

• Bill Nye the Russian Spy likes this

#178 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:37 AM

Has someone a save at the start of floor 8? A friend lost his zc save by the stupid old 2.5 ZC bug.

Edited by Air Luigi, 06 November 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#179 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:39 PM

I'm going to have to give this another play through and hopefully finish the game this time around, seeing how my save file got deleted and I switched computers. I should be in for a good time.

Edited by Dimentio, 12 March 2016 - 04:23 PM.

#180 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:53 PM

xDDD

I have to replay To The Top, it's so magical. 

however, to think about finishing floor 10 again makes me lazy. It's one of these things that you only want to do one time in life xD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users