Photo

Worst Failure Console

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Worst Failure Console

either

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Spantac

Spantac

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE(Noir @ Aug 8 2007, 12:31 AM) View Post

You left out the X-Box 360.

Well I totally agree.

I haven't heard of most of them, so I didn't vote. I didn't realise how many failed consoles there were. I know about the CD-i I just wonderwonderwonder what Gannon's up to and the Virtual Boy, and the N-Gage sounds familiar... OH I REMEMBER! It was that Nokia mobile phone thingy? Yeah that looked like an old pair of pants, but I did know a couple of people that bought it. Seriously though, Phillips ought to be ashamed.

#17 jimbob

jimbob

Accepting that no-one will get my avatar.

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:37 PM

I'd say the Virtual Boy; mainly because I read, month-by-month, it's release and imminent failure through TOTAL! magazine, so it's the failure closest to my heart.

After that PS3 icon_lol.gif

#18 MarioBrosCom

MarioBrosCom

Adept

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:18 PM

My vote goes to the Virtual Boy. From a technological point of view, it was inferior to the worst of the worst game consoles simply because absolutely all of the graphics were displayed with a red tint.

Edited by MarioBrosCom, 08 August 2007 - 09:18 PM.

#19 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:22 PM

Aladdin Deck Enhancer? It was supposed to be an NES accessory for playing with more enhanced graphics and sound...

...when you played it with the like 3 games they made for it.

so, it's practically it's own console. It just has only 3 games and feeds off the NES.

#20 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(Old-skool @ Aug 8 2007, 09:22 PM) View Post

so, it's practically it's own console. It just has only 3 games and feeds off the NES.
Which was already perfect on its own.

#21 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Aug 7 2007, 02:54 PM) View Post

Oh sure, as long as they didn't use the PlayStation controller. icon_sweat.gif

I can imagine it now. A boomerang that you have to throw to play a Wii game.

Null'd because I haven't tried any of those systems.

#22 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:16 AM

I voted Virtual Boy.
Red eyeglasses as screen... eh... I never met/heard anybody who wasn't dissatisfied with it. Expect maybe one somebody in this thread if I remember well.

However, about the Jaguar... Why would it be a failure, again? I heard that it had the hardware power which competed with the Playstation, even though the Jaguar was almost 10 year earlier (don't know exact date). I heard that it went down only because the low selestion of games at the time of its release...

Also, why was the Atari 5200 a failure? I thought the early Atari games were heavenly...

#23 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:52 AM

Since I don't know half of the thingimies on there, I'll null. You missed the dreamcast, anyway.

#24 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

I've only heard of Atari and CD-i, so I picked the worst of the two. CD-i.

Atari 5200 wasn't that bad...I don't remember it being horrible, anyway.

Edited by GoldenChocobo, 09 August 2007 - 09:37 AM.

#25 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE(Limzo @ Aug 9 2007, 08:52 AM) View Post

You missed the dreamcast, anyway.

I dunno. The Dreamcast was actually doing really well in the US for a while, but suddenly it died due to bad marketing. I liked it, it was a good system and its small library of games is still rather good. It had a lot of great arcade ports.

I suppose it is a failure in the fact that it didn't finish its full run, but I dunno if it would fit on this poll.

#26 Pol's Voice

Pol's Voice

Adept

• Members

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Aug 9 2007, 02:16 AM) View Post

I voted Virtual Boy.
Red eyeglasses as screen... eh... I never met/heard anybody who wasn't dissatisfied with it. Expect maybe one somebody in this thread if I remember well.

No love for Teleroboxer for VB? C'mon...it was sort of fun, minus the eye irritation and headache accompanying any Virtual Boy experience.

#27 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:59 PM

Wow, Pol's Voice is back!
As for the Virtual Boy, I also heard that the strange body position is extreme uncomfortable. I don't know what they meant with it, did they really crouch to the ground?

As for the NGage... It was a failure? I didn't know... I didn't even care that console too much, but I thought owners are enjoying it...

As for Dreamcast... I don't know why the manufacturing was shut off. I just suddenly saw once that my VG magazine writes about the halting of production with grave symbols around the article... It seemes good until it lasted... I will never forget reading about Skies of Arcadia. (I forgot what I have read about it, but I won't forgot that I was reading about it...)

#28 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:06 PM

The 32x add on for the Sega Genesis was the worst. It killed the Genesis, when the Saturn was schedualed for released almost six months after it was released. Less than 40 games made, it screwed up your Sega Genesis Games, and it required so many wires it wasn't even funny.

It's only saving grace was releasing Star Wars Arcade for it (not Star Wars, but Star Wars Arcade), which is what kept it alive.

The Sega CD was an okay system. There was only a handful of games for it that I liked like the game Snatcher and Corpse Killer. But games like Night Trap and Sewer Shark really screwed with the system big time because trying to use actual filming to play the games was a big mistake. Although the games that didn't do that like Sonic CD was what they should've done in the first place.

What's funny is the Angry Video Game Nerd covered the Sega CD and the Sega 32x. lol.

#29 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:48 AM

If the CD-i never existed, SOny and Nintendo would of made a killer console that would knock the 360 out of existence.

Not to bash but you really don't know what you're talking about do you?
Its about the games on the console. For the longest time GTA and SSB dominated the consoles then Halo came along.
Then Halo 2, and for the 360, Halo 3.

Its not about the consoles as much as it is about the popular games.
I have a feeling that GTA4 (Which will also come to the 360), SSB: Brawl and H3 will be the dominating console games of this era.

#30 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:59 AM

The only one of those consoles/systems I've ever owned was a Sega CD add-on for my Genesis. I bought it specifically to play the Lunar series in its orignal form before they came out on Playstation. I later tried out Shining Force CD, an Ecco the Dolphin game (it was $1), Popful Mail, and Vay. The first of those four was good, the next two were average, and Vay was horrible. As for the two Lunar games, the first one -- Lunar: The Silver Star -- was roughly made, but somewhat charming (it was Game Arts' first title), while the second one -- Lunar: Eternal Blue -- was AWESOME despite having horrid load times.

Since I bought the Sega CD mainly with just two games in mind, it's hard to rate the whole system, but given that I found some decent games for the Sega CD, I'm willing to bet the Sega add-ons aren't the worst on the list. (Can't speak for the 32X in that statement, though)

The only other system on the list that I've touched in my lifetime was the Virtual Boy, which I got a brief look at while visiting a friend. I don't remember much, but I know it wasn't very good -- playing games in bright red has got to have the potential to cause brain damage or seizures or something. icon_neutral.gif

Anyway, I could vote for the Virtual Boy, but in my opinion, the truth is that the worst failed consoles in history are generally ones that nobody has heard of, now. After all, the worst a console can fail you is to reward you with only a dozen game titles (or less) after you've shelled out a few hundred bucks for the system. This has actually happened before, if you were unfortunate enough to be misled into buying one in the brief windows during which they were available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users