Photo

Ack, it's getting stupider by the minute!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:18 PM

Oh, that'd be interesting to see.
EatinCake has a webcomic, dontcha know.

Hm... He hasn't updated for a while though... icon_freak.gif

#17 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:58 PM

I haven't watched cartoons in a long time. I used to love The Angry Beavers though. icon_wink.gif

IPB Image

#18 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:39 PM

Angry Beavers! icon_xd.gif
That was one of my favorites!

And Aah! Real Monsters!
And so many more...

Oh, Legends of the Hidden Temple! icon_biggrin.gif

I could go on and on... I better not =/

#19 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

Ed, Edd, and Eddy FTW. Sorry, I love that show (and its references to the fourth wall). "Oh yeah! Didn't we win an Emmy for that episode?" -Eddy. icon_xd.gif

#20 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

icon_eek.gif The Angry Beavers! How could I forget that?! Man, I loved watching that cartoon. That, Kablam!, and Hey Arnold! were my most favorite shows on Nickelodeon.

And now time for...

ACTION LEAGUE
NOW!

#21 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

Or even Captain Planet!

#22 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:52 AM

See, all of these cartoons we're mentioning that we loved are traditional aiimations.

And by the way, earlier I meant to say that Ed Edd and Eddy was the last entirely traditional animated series. The Simpsons and a few others are part of the dying medium of celluloid animation but the cells are coloured using a computer, whereas the colours in Ed Edd and Eddy were painted by hand.

But nowadays, so-called "animators" just bring up a 2D sprite on a computer programme, place it in front of a background, add some pre-chosen music and the voice overs, and then add in the lyp syncing that has already been made. All the hard work has already been done for them.

EDIT: I just discovered that now Ed Edd and Eddy digitally paint the celluloid and have done since series five, but at least they still animate traditionally.

EDIT AGAIN: Now I've just discovered that when cartoons are digitally painted, they stay on the computer and are placed in front of the background there...

*sigh* Must technology destroy everything I love?

Edited by Limzo, 05 August 2007 - 04:21 AM.

#23 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:01 AM

*sigh* Must technology destroy everything I love?

You liked it just fine before you did research on it. icon_shrug.gif

#24 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:34 PM

Yeah, cartoons are just idiotic nowadays. All kid's shows are now in one of these groups.

1. shonen, this is stuff like the stupid ninja shows you see, and is a group of really desperate action shows. Some might put trading card shows llike pokemon and Yugioh in here, but I have them in ..

2. Merchandising Crap. they are shows based on toys, games, movies and things like that. Note that although a majority of these shows are bad, but not all of them.(first transformers cartoon)

3. Band documentary. Hannah Montana. Naked Bros. Band. Drake and Josh movies. Shows based on imaginary bands do have quite a tendecy to suck the sucking stick hard.

4.Shows that pretend to be educational. A good deal of PBS comes here. Especcialy tellutubies.

Even if a show isn't in one, is either extremely dumbed down or has zero laughs.

All we can hope is that someday, Spongebob (NOT THE MOVIE), Ed, Edd and Eddy, and the other little shiners lead us to good TV someday.

I will also note that High School Musical is teh suck.

#25 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(Limzo @ Aug 5 2007, 03:52 AM) View Post

And by the way, earlier I meant to say that Ed Edd and Eddy was the last entirely traditional animated series. The Simpsons and a few others are part of the dying medium of celluloid animation but the cells are coloured using a computer, whereas the colours in Ed Edd and Eddy were painted by hand.

Wasn't Samurai Jack started after Ed, Edd, & Eddy? Samurai Jack was the best cartoon of the time. It was sad to see it die icon_cry.gif I think everything for Samurai Jack was done by hand, too. I think.

Edited by Master_of_Power, 05 August 2007 - 03:55 PM.

#26 Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Wizard

• Members

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

Samurai jack was done traditionally, but I really never grew a taste for it.

Edited by fuzzyman, 05 August 2007 - 07:28 PM.

#27 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:17 PM

Nothing ever happened in Samurai Jack, or at least that's the way I remember it.
I never liked it much, either =/

Edited by GoldenChocobo, 05 August 2007 - 07:17 PM.

#28 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:03 PM

The Biggest Mistakes for CN:
* Not showing Toonami during the daytime
* Replacing the Dragonball series with Naruto
* Showing abridged "kiddy-version" anime
* Not showing classics like Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, etc.

The Biggest Mistakes for Nick
* Forcing you to upgrade to Premium cable to get the classic Nick Shows
* Barely showing the shows that made Nick popular
* Showing too many episodes of Danny Phantom and Spongebob

#29 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:05 AM

Avatar is the saving grace for todays children's cartoons, that show is both new and highly awesome.

But the 80's and early 90's man... that's where it was at.

Masters of the Universe
Transformers
Speed Racer
Technoman (aka Tekkanan(sp) Blade)
VOLTRON!!!
Thundercats
Ninja Turtles
Dino Riders
Battle Beasts (also AWESOME toys)
Ren and Stimpy
Beavis and Butthead... I could go on.

Then the later edutainment cartoons like Captain Planet and Wiget the Worldwatcher... and the not-so-edutainment Samurai Pizza Cats... great show...

Then there was Biker Mice from Mars, and the Warner Bros revival with Freakazoid, Animaniacs, and The Tick (I think he was Warner Bros...)

... but yeah, these days cartoons are nothing more than product placement or poorly animated comedy. There's no Prince Adam turning into He-man and riding a tiger!

... Avatar is the only exception.

#30 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE(Master_of_Power @ Aug 5 2007, 09:55 PM) View Post

Wasn't Samurai Jack started after Ed, Edd, & Eddy? Samurai Jack was the best cartoon of the time. It was sad to see it die icon_cry.gif I think everything for Samurai Jack was done by hand, too. I think.

You don't understand. 100% Traditional Animation is now only used by Disney every now and again to create a cartoon musical. That means that they draw all the pictures by hand on paper, then trace them onto large sheets of celluloid and then paint the celluloid. However, traditional animation for TV series these days is not painted by hand, it is scanned into a computer from the celluloid and then painted on a computer program, and placed in front of the background on the computer. Thus, the form of Digital ink and paint was born.

They would have drawn the pictures by hand, but coloured them in digitally. But cell shading has now reached the quality of hand drawn animation so that and flash animtaion are slowly taking over the world of 2D cartoons, and with the growing popularity of CGI, it's fair to say that these last few years are only the start of a horrid decline in traditional animation. Let's hope that Disney's next 100% traditionally animated musical, The Frog and The Princess, can help towards the rise of traditional animation, and hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users