Mind Moving Films

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:50 PM

I've been getting more into movies that actually have a deeper meaning. Movies that actually make you think or question humanity, stuff like that. So I thought I'd start a thread to talk about mind changing films or movies that disturb your mind. I've come up with a few, and thought we could come up with a list.

For example.

Fight Club
The Matrix (First one, not the second or third crap that came out later)
Donnie Darko
Battle Royale
A Clockwork Orange (haven't seen this one, and I don't know if I want to. icon_heh.gif. All about rape and disturbed people)

So do you guys know any good mind moving films?

#2 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

American History X
American Gun
Pan's Labyrinth(really good movie, one of my favorite)

#3 king-n

king-n

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:08 PM

I don't know if it had a deeper meaning, but I did stay up all night once and saw a really weird old animated movie about all these tiny naked people that lived on a planet of aliens. I forget most of it, but It weirded me out...

#4 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE(king-n @ Jul 28 2007, 10:08 PM) View Post

I don't know if it had a deeper meaning, but I did stay up all night once and saw a really weird old animated movie about all these tiny naked people that lived on a planet of aliens. I forget most of it, but It weirded me out...

Oh, I think I saw that. Part of the Ten Commandments series? Were the aliens giants with heads for genitalia and genitalia for heads? Man... they were good animations, that one was about keeping the Sabbath holy. I saw another one about coveting your neighbour's wife, where the dog kills his master and assumes his identity so he can bang his master's wife. Oh, and another one about worshiping false idols! This guy's house gets broken into and he's tied to the chair, and since he can't do anything else he tries playing the piano with his nose. As the years pass he gets really good at it, until the lids falls on his head and kills him. So he goes up to Heaven and plays so well that all the angels listen to his music rather than praising God... so God punches his head off. High-larious!

As far as mind moving films go... there was another short film called Crackerjack about a sailor pulling into port and trying to find this girl he knew. I won't go into the details, as it's not for kids. I saw it when I was about 13 and it grossed me out to no end.

Also, Eraserhead (my av is from that movie). Doesn't make you think or anything, but it's certainly bizarre enough to confuse the heck out of you.

#5 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:51 AM

American History X
American Gun
Pan's Labyrinth(really good movie, one of my favorite)

I couldn't agree more about American History X and Pan's Labyrinth.

#6 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:04 AM

Scarface comes to mind.

About how the only way you can get ahead in life is to take the world by the balls by any means necessary, even if it's Illegal. Hippies will try and screw you over left and right (this includes government and police), and it might even leave you dead. Also, the stereotypical assumptions of rich people being the bad guys also comes into play, when Tony (drunk as hell at the time) states that the world needs people like him, so that people can point and say that's the bad guy. I also like how it talks about a bunch of screwed up stuff on this planet: Illegal smuggling and Drug Dealing Cocaine, Screwed up laws such as taxation evasion, corrupted politics and people (aka hippies in my book), people going so far as to kill innocent children, traitors, the list goes on and on. And the reason Tony was killed in the end was because he refused to take the lives of kids and instead, killed the assassin that was going to do the job. That's when war was declared against drug dealer overlords...oh, well. Don't want to see Tony die at the end? Pick up Scarface: The World is Yours for your Wii or your PS2 or your Xbox 360 or your PC and take down Sosa once and for all.

I'll never forget that scene when Tony kills the assassin. "YOU DIE, MOTHER****ER!!!" *pulls the trigger and shoots the assassin in the head* "WHAT CHU THINK, I A ****ING WORM LIKE YOU!!!" One of the greatest death scenes I've ever seen...and with reason, too, basically to save a few innocent lives...and the original job was to assassinate an anti drug speaker, but he took his wife and kids in the car with him, and Tony had a change of heart on what was going to happen. Now that's...uh...I don't know the word for it. lol.

#7 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:50 PM

I saw some clips from American History X. I really want to see that movie.

I forgot about Pan's Labrynth. I saw that one in theatres, amazing movie, although I was expecting a little more fanasy.

#8 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:45 AM

Animal Farm. Yes, it's a cartoon, but it has reflections on the rise and fall of communism in Russia. Also has nineteen alternate endings due to certain Government thinking that the original ending was too violent.

#9 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(Limzo @ Jul 31 2007, 11:45 AM) View Post
Animal Farm. Yes, it's a cartoon, but it has reflections on the rise and fall of communism in Russia. Also has nineteen alternate endings due to certain Government thinking that the original ending was too violent.
I wasn't aware that there was an Animal Farm cartoon. Although I really liked the book....

Anyway, Primer will mess up your head. It's a low-budget independent film that nobody's heard of.

#10 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:49 PM

Lord of the Rings.

Especially Gandalf's speech to Frodo in the mines of Moria.

#11 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:56 PM

Se7en.

Just watched it last night because I was thinking of crazy movies. All I have to say is.

Wow.

#12 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jul 31 2007, 10:29 PM) View Post
I wasn't aware that there was an Animal Farm cartoon. Although I really liked the book....

Book schmuck, I didn't even know there was a book. icon_deformed.gif

#13 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE(Limzo @ Aug 1 2007, 03:19 AM) View Post

Book schmuck, I didn't even know there was a book. icon_deformed.gif

I betcha no one ever knew that there was a Lord of the Rings book either! icon_deformed.gif

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl had me thinking, in order to figure out the plot. It was a complex movie, but it was a great movie.

#14 jimbob

jimbob

Accepting that no-one will get my avatar.

• Members

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:29 PM

The best war films (I'm talking WWI WWII here) are the ones that aren't gung-ho, and show war for what it really is, rather than a glorious/sentimental/buddies4ever story.
E.G. Oh What a Lovely War
The first half-hour of Saving Private Ryan
Das Boot
Born on the 4th of July
The Longest Day

#15 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE(Comix @ Jul 31 2007, 08:56 PM) View Post

Se7en.

Just watched it last night because I was thinking of crazy movies. All I have to say is.

Wow.

Yeah, that's pretty cool.

Should see Memento, that's awesome too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users