Photo

I'm going to need randomly specific help...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ZeldaVeteran

ZeldaVeteran

• Members

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

Hi! I've been developing a pen and paper online LoZ RPG with a group of friends for nearly three years. With all the statwork finished, the website made, the story written, and the classes/races evenly balanced, we've come to the part where we can no longer continue- the screens. Each forum has a different screen and well... I suppose I'll spare you all the details. What matters is that the guy who was making the screens disappeared completely and has impeded progress to the point that I'm having to do it myself, and I'm not very familiar with the system.

I'm not a stranger to tile-based game-design, I used to make pokemon roms. So I'm not entirely illiterate to the trade. However I do have some random questions, and I obviously can't contact my co-worker for help. So I made an account and I'm turning to you guys. I really do hope you guys don't mind.

1. I downloaded Wild Bill's Pure Tileset. I read excellent reviews on it, so I decided to run it. I extracted the files to ZC and booted it up. Opened it up to find that every tile is darkened. Is there a way to brighten everything up? In the sample field here: http://www.purezc.ne...=tilesets&id=6 

It appears that you can brighten it. 

I appreciate your help- thanks in advance guys. :)

#2 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:10 PM

What do you mean by "darkened"? Maybe post a screenshot of the problem. Also you can use a program like graphics gale to edit palettes. You can also edit palettes directly in zc.

#3 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:18 PM

Is it possible you hit the L key? That previews the dark room state and darkens some CSets.

#4 ZeldaVeteran

ZeldaVeteran

• Members

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:30 PM

http://i.imgur.com/2YwtgFd.jpg

Here. No, I didn't touch the L key =/

I scrolled a couple of those tile windows down so you guys could see it. I really appreciate you guys taking time out of your day to help with this.

Edited by ZeldaVeteran, 19 August 2015 - 08:32 PM.

#5 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

That's just the palette on that screen. If you press F4 you can see a list of them, but do note that setting the palette on a screen doesn't actually effect it when played, and is meant so you know what that palette would look like, if that palette was set up for ZC.

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:43 PM

Yeah that's just a night time overworld palette. If you switch to a different example screen it should be different. Palettes can be previewed with F4 like coolgamer said, but to have them show up right ingame, you'll have to use the DMap editor under Quest->DMaps. DMaps are basically the areas of the game you play in. They give certain properties to maps such as palettes and music. And of course you can have more than one DMap per map if you want to divide it up into sections.

#7 ZeldaVeteran

ZeldaVeteran

• Members

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:50 PM

That cleared it up! Thanks, you guys are the best! And I don't need to worry about any of that- I just need it to look right. I'm essentially going to screencap it and import it to a forum where it will serve as a specific part of the world that you can travel to. If you go here: http://colossus.thef...bffc2fdfc3b811f

You'll see what I mean. You can use the compass at the top to travel around the world. We're working on the third installment of the website currently, and hope to have a host lined up very soon. I joined when I was 14 years old and I feel that I owe a lot of my literacy to the game. I'm 24 now, and just as passionate about the game. I hope that we can positively affect several more people with this writing site in the years to come.

But for now, we just need these screens done. So thanks again! Can I post in this topic again if I have more randomly specific questions?

#8 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:47 AM

So this is a text based Zelda RP that's using a map made of ZC screens? I probably should've been able to gather this from the OP, but I thought for some reason that you were recreating your existing RP as a playable game in ZC. Whoops! How well do these screens need to fit together? Looking at the site it doesn't look like they have to fit together as a perfect map, so you may be able to get various people here to make you some screens and ease up your workload somewhat.

Can I post in this topic again if I have more randomly specific questions?

I see no problem with that. If anything, it's more space efficient to have one big topic than a bunch of smaller ones.

#9 ZeldaVeteran

ZeldaVeteran

• Members

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:42 PM

Looking at the site it doesn't look like they have to fit together as a perfect map, so you may be able to get various people here to make you some screens and ease up your workload somewhat.

Yeah, they aren't perfectly linked, but the site is based off of the world from Zelda 2, so you can probably see the correspondence there. I really appreciate the offer, but I don't want to burden anyone with that. Besides, it would be essentially volunteer work, I couldn't pay you... Not only that, but I'd really hate to have to tell someone that their screen wasn't going to be used >.>

n_f28.png

This is the new screen for the drawbridge, for instance. Very nice quality, not made by me, but still. 

We're looking to be a little more high quality with the third installment of the game than this:
n_f29.gif

#10 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, they aren't perfectly linked, but the site is based off of the world from Zelda 2, so you can probably see the correspondence there. I really appreciate the offer, but I don't want to burden anyone with that. Besides, it would be essentially volunteer work, I couldn't pay you... Not only that, but I'd really hate to have to tell someone that their screen wasn't going to be used >.>

n_f28.png

This is the new screen for the drawbridge, for instance. Very nice quality, not made by me, but still. 

We're looking to be a little more high quality with the third installment of the game than this:
n_f29.gif

I don't think very many people on here get payed for the stuff they make (I know of only 1 story when someone payed someone to make some tiles), so that wouldn't really be a problem :P.

Edited by Coolgamer012345, 20 August 2015 - 02:47 PM.

#11 ZeldaVeteran

ZeldaVeteran

• Members

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:49 PM

Well... I'm kind of speechless here... How many people would be willing to help out with this? I'm just wondering, because this is going to be the most time consuming part of this whole thing.

#12 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:23 PM

If you give me a couple of the existing screens from time to time along with any important features from the RP I should include and maybe a cutout of Zelda 2's map showing what areas they represent, I'd be happy to help.

For the tileset, are you using the original Pure set or one of the updates? The original Pure set lacked useful water tiles which would make things different. It's a lot more intimidating, but PTUX is my preferred Pure set.

#13 ZeldaVeteran

ZeldaVeteran

• Members

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:36 PM

That's just so nice of you. Of course, I don't know why I expected any less from the Zelda community. I'll have to discuss this with the development team, but yeah, I could definitely use your help. Truth is, I cannot for the life of me, find the tileset he was using, otherwise this whole thing could be a lot easier.

Could you maybe identify what tileset these images are from? PS: These are tiles created for HA3. They look a lot better than the old ones.

00Ksndj.png

0yAziLF.png

BkSVdvbX.png

Edited by ZeldaVeteran, 20 August 2015 - 04:42 PM.

#14 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:49 PM

That looks like PTUX to me. It could also be Lost Isle Graphics, but that one's less organized and I think it's just PTUX with some added tiles.

#15 ZeldaVeteran

ZeldaVeteran

• Members

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:04 PM

Excellent, thanks so much. I'm gonna download PTUX right now. I'll get back to you soon.

Fantastic! This is it! Thanks Moosh! The only problem I have here is that the water is... Grey? I F4'd a lot to see what would change it. I don't know what's up with the water tiles, but everything else is perfect!

Hey, I've got to go for now, but I'll definitely pick this back up tonight. So much hype.

Edited by ZeldaVeteran, 20 August 2015 - 05:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users