• Please log in to reply
3580 replies to this topic

#61 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ May 24 2011, 07:06 PM) View Post
That's because it's a parody which is so intentionally over-the-top that it dips into horribleness itself.
I'm... probably not familiar with whatever it's supposed to be a parody of? All I got was the horribleness, piled on top of my previously held bias against it for being anime.

by the way have you watched mlp yet
QUOTE(green-kirby @ May 25 2011, 07:33 PM) View Post
You forgot to introduce the princesses! D:
Not to mention Spike! powergauntlets how could you

Madame le Flour, what do you think of all these omissions? Are they terrible and unforgivable?
IPB Image
OUI ZAT IS CORRECT

#62 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:40 AM

QUOTE(JoshSim @ May 25 2011, 08:00 PM) View Post
I'm... probably not familiar with whatever it's supposed to be a parody of? All I got was the horribleness, piled on top of my previously held bias against it for being anime.

by the way have you watched mlp yet

It's a parody of "magical girl" anime, and also what I'd venture to call "action girl" anime. The latter genre is pretty vapid and deserves to be parodied. But you almost don't have to.

No MLP yet for me; I'm trying to think of a good opportunity to do so. I don't like watching TV shows alone; I find it boring. My sister sews while she watches, but I don't have any such craftwork hobbies. I could offer to watch it with her, but she really didn't know what to think of the fact that I was willing to watch Cardcaptor Sakura with her last time (she had planned on it being a girly anime that I wouldn't be interested in so she could watch it alone on her own time).

That LeFlour GIF is a VERY convincing argument to watch the show.

#63 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ May 26 2011, 02:40 AM) View Post

It's a parody of "magical girl" anime, and also what I'd venture to call "action girl" anime. The latter genre is pretty vapid and deserves to be parodied. But you almost don't have to.

No MLP yet for me; I'm trying to think of a good opportunity to do so. I don't like watching TV shows alone; I find it boring. My sister sews while she watches, but I don't have any such craftwork hobbies. I could offer to watch it with her, but she really didn't know what to think of the fact that I was willing to watch Cardcaptor Sakura with her last time (she had planned on it being a girly anime that I wouldn't be interested in so she could watch it alone on her own time).

That LeFlour GIF is a VERY convincing argument to watch the show.

Cardcaptor Sakura was by CLAMP, and was therefore AMAZING, doesn't matter if it's shojo or not. And my dad watches Sailor Moon, so I think you're in the clear.

As for a hobby, why not take up papercraft? I have some patterns you can use that would be very situation-appropriate (pretty sure JoshSim has them, too).

And with the gif, I remember when that happened. That episode was amazing.

#64 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

New pinike pie song! :3

#65 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

"No MLP yet for me!" - person with second highest post count in MLP thread

Also I was just about to post that video. Hearing shout-outs to the online Pony fanbase in an official Hub video is amazing. It actually mentions, by name, DJ P0N-3 (which is purely a fan name for the DJ pony who had like five seconds of screen time) and bronies. I actually heard Pinke Pie say bronies. Incredible.

#66 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

Anyone see that interview with Daniel Ingram? Very interesting, just found it on EquestriaDaily's news feed.

Edited by PowerGauntlets, 27 May 2011 - 07:07 PM.

#67 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:38 PM

I'm pretty sure one of my goals for this summer is to watch this series.

Also, is it just me, or do the... emblems... on the ponies look like tramp stamps?

#68 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:57 PM

They are called cutie marks. ยด:3

#69 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:36 PM

So the answer is yes. icon_deformed.gif

Also, this video expresses my feelings toward this show entirely:

#70 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

This site is still a thing?

• Members

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

icon_awesome.gif

How, funny....

I didn't know this show even existed until recently, mostly because it's on Hub.... I haven't watched the real thing, but I'm sticking to the youtube parodies. icon_deformed.gif

#71 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

No. Go online and watch the actual series. Just trust me on this one.

Here, let me make my well-rehearsed pitch.

So you've probably got that mental association of My Little Pony = a mind numbing show for five year old girls about a bunch of beautiful talking ponies who want to have a tea party, or a picnic, and for some extraneous and inconsequential reason, they can't. I don't blame you for thinking that. For about 23 years, it was the truth. But now, imagine for a second that one of the most prestigious and respected studios in all of American Cartoons, comparable to, say, the Gainax or Sunrise Studios of western animation, saw My Little Pony and said "hey...this series really kind of sucks. Let's see if we can make it AMAZING." So they talk to Hasbro and get permission and all that fun stuff, and they make a 26-episode trial season. Just picture this new series having everything you could want out of a TV series and then some. Quality character designs and believable character personalities, well-developed plot, consistency, well-choreographed fight scenes - frick - fight scenes in general, quality dialogue, quality art and animation, and even though they still have parties, replace the tea with barbecue and rave music. And granted, the barbecue is still hay, but the intention is there, and it adds to the comic relief.

Picture this: would you watch it?

Hence, you have My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, from the studios that brought us Dexter's Laboratory and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

#72 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

• Members

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

I understand exactly what you are saying. Even though I really didn't like Dexter's Lab., and loved all the comic relief in Foster's Home for Imaginary friends, I can imagine someone watching it. But for me to watch it or not, that would be a question of what do I care about more: my social life, or my personal enjoyment? I wonder what would happen if you went to school and said you watched my little pony last night? But then again you might not need to say that and you could still watch it. Hmm... I really can't answer this one. icon_unsettled.gif

Oh, and don't forget your sanity. ^^

Edited by theZCking, 30 May 2011 - 04:55 PM.

#73 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE(theZCking @ May 30 2011, 04:53 PM) View Post
I wonder what would happen if you went to school and said you watched my little pony last night?

I did that. And now everyone I know watches it. I'm not even kidding.

Edited by PowerGauntlets, 30 May 2011 - 05:01 PM.

#74 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

• Members

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

icon_eek.gif
Oh wow... How did they take it? I have a feeling the first reply you got was a laugh of some sort, am I right? So everyone really knows that you watch this... I have a feeling you didn't tell everyone. icon_biggrin.gif

#75 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

Well, it helps that when I mentioned it, one of my friends who is notorious for liking awesome stuff said "OH MY GOD, YOU SHOULD GET ME THE EPISODES". That pretty much settled it for everyone. Now the only person not participating is this Pokemon otaku who doesn't really get involved in anything else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users