AGN HAS BEEN HACKED !!!

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#31 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

Right, but hackers have their own reasons in their own minds why they do what they do. Perhaps it isn't even perfectly clear in their own minds why they do so, but there always is a reason, be it simple or complex. Perhaps for a higher diabolical purpose such as the power to dominate others (the Lawful Evil action), to fulfill an inadequacy of theirs in one of a few ways they know how (the Neutral Evil action), or believe it or not, just for giggles (the Chaotic Evil action).

#32 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

There's something we should look into, fast.

1. As zeldaclassic.com is now an "attack site", anyone wanting to download any version of ZC, the betas excepted, will have to walk through a virus-infested page (until it's cleared up) to get ZC. Anyone with a good security system will find the site's blocked for htem anyway.
2. If the ZC downloads themselves have been compromised, then anyone downloading ZC from now on may be downloading a virus. I'm not sure about this one, but it seems sensible to check. This is my worst worry at the moment.
3. This could be averted if we for the time being host an unofficial site with good copies of all the old versions (which we have on our computers already), at least until the official site is back.
4. If we do not take any action, then there's a chance that June 2010 will go down as the time when all pre-2.5 betas of ZC simply ceased to be available and all quests made with them - our entire database! - became useless because the program to play them is no longer available.

I'm aware of AGN's "one official download site" policy and I agree with it in principle (it prevents other sites from hosting virus-ridden ZC versions among other things) but until the official site is clean again and we've checked the versions there are not compromised, this could be an emergency of the type that demands emergency measures.

#33 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

I don't see why we don't have all the old versions hosted here on PZC anyways. It makes sense to have them here, since nobody can ever seem to find them anyways. icon_shrug.gif

#34 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

WildBill did create a section of the database (which I believe is hidden) for Zelda Classic downloads, but it never got used, as far as I know. Perhaps there was intent to have it, but maybe he just never got the permission to distribute the files. We have a section in the admin site tools for uploading them, but I am not sure if the location to upload them to actually still exists, and even if it does, I don't think it is set up for users (or anybody for that matter) to access it. I get an error when going to the upload section anyway, so I don't think it is set up correctly, and we probably don't have permission to distribute the files to begin with. So at this point it is pretty much "whoever has it, give it by private means". It sucks, but I don't think we are in the right position to provide them in a public location, and anybody who does would be doing so at their own risk, provided somebody with the right position of power cares. It makes sense to have them available, but sometimes things come with strings attached.

#35 Chris Miller

Chris Miller

The Dark Man

• Banned

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

I have:
Zelda Classic Version 1.00 icon_biggrin.gif
Zelda Classic 1.92 Betas 163, 182, and 183.
Alphas 987, 1204, and 1256.
Hit me on AIM if you want them.

#36 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:30 PM

I thought zc 2,10 and 1.92 were available at download.com also?

#37 skateboarder11

skateboarder11

Adept

• Members

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(franpa @ Jun 10 2010, 02:29 AM) View Post

Oh the bad site appears broken now but before, it just took you to another page acting like a virus scanner and asking you to download and install something. If you didn't install it then your likely unaffected (unless you use IE, if you have IE then you may need to sacrifice some virgins to ensure your computer is safe).

I updated the first post to clarify it is only the forums affected.

In such a case, instead of actually clicking anything on the page itself, it would probably be a better idea to kill the browser process instead. Depending on the page, even "denying" could still put your machine at risk.

...I had to deal with one of these myself earlier this week. Not a fun task telling someone to stop what they were doing and to hand over the keyboard with that much urgency. icon_frown.gif

Gleeok: As for ZC versions on download.com, I seem to recall 1.90 being up there. Not quite sure at the moment, however.

#38 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

It'll probably be fine within a few weeks, but it's not like I go there anymore icon_shrug.gif.

#39 lucas92

lucas92

Defender

• Members

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

Sometimes I go to the bugs section when I think I've found a bug, which half the time it's just me being dumb. But since the other hack, the forums just don't look the same, which sucks. I dunno what they're doing over that website, they should clean it and change server, rather than nothing.

#40 Chris Miller

Chris Miller

The Dark Man

• Banned

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

That would require effort.

#41 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:39 PM

I don't want to get any retarded viruses so I'm going to block AGN with noscript.
It's quiet annoying how they keep hacking the site.

Edited by Hot Water Music man, 11 June 2010 - 08:39 PM.

#42 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(Koopa @ Jun 10 2010, 11:53 AM) View Post

There's something we should look into, fast.

1. As zeldaclassic.com is now an "attack site", anyone wanting to download any version of ZC, the betas excepted, will have to walk through a virus-infested page (until it's cleared up) to get ZC. Anyone with a good security system will find the site's blocked for htem anyway.
2. If the ZC downloads themselves have been compromised, then anyone downloading ZC from now on may be downloading a virus. I'm not sure about this one, but it seems sensible to check. This is my worst worry at the moment.
3. This could be averted if we for the time being host an unofficial site with good copies of all the old versions (which we have on our computers already), at least until the official site is back.
4. If we do not take any action, then there's a chance that June 2010 will go down as the time when all pre-2.5 betas of ZC simply ceased to be available and all quests made with them - our entire database! - became useless because the program to play them is no longer available.

I'm aware of AGN's "one official download site" policy and I agree with it in principle (it prevents other sites from hosting virus-ridden ZC versions among other things) but until the official site is clean again and we've checked the versions there are not compromised, this could be an emergency of the type that demands emergency measures.

Here you go!

I downloaded the 2.1 player from here four days ago. I believe all these links work and are off the main site so hopefully bug free.

#43 SomeZeldaFan

SomeZeldaFan

Initiate

• Members

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE(Lemon @ Jun 12 2010, 04:33 AM) View Post

Here you go!

I downloaded the 2.1 player from here four days ago. I believe all these links work and are off the main site so hopefully bug free.

Aren't those downloads just links to the AGN site? I got the same problem downloading the b184 from the link above as i got from the AGN site. Meaning the b184 most likely has a virus in it so my antivirus wont allow me to download it.

Does anyone have the b184 player? would appreciate if you gave me it.

#44 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:41 AM

The downloads are hosted on "ermock.com", whose that is I have no idea. But I find it both sad and funny that, as you'll see if you go to the main page and click on the "murphy's law" page, ZC is now hosted on a site that proudly proclaims
This page was created with:
Microsoft FrontPage 2003

#45 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:58 AM

The only one of those downloads that is hosted by AGN is the Windows 2.10.2 link. All other links are either on "ermock," "sjnetwork," or Shardstorm.

EDIT: To clarify, only the Windows 2.10.2 link should be bad. The rest are unaffected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users