Official "What video games are you playing right now?" topic

• Please log in to reply
4811 replies to this topic

#4456 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:41 AM

Both Adventure games are terrible but Adventure 2 is much worse to me. Two thirds of the game are outright terrible with Tails/Eggman mech levels just being terrible and the mech controls like ass. The enemy placement is also terrible with enemies blind siding you out of nowhere, with no warning and with no time for you to dodge unless you know they are going to do that in advance (looking at you, Mission Street Gun mechs and artificial Chaos).

The treasure hunting stages were completely butchered in this game. In the first Adventure game it would detect the nearest emerald piece, in Adventure 2 it only detects them in order. Meaning you can be next to the second emerald piece but the radar won't beep to say it's there because you still haven't found the first. The treasure hunting stages are terribly designed, with some of them just being too big and having too much claustrophobic design. Not to mention how the clues to help you find the emerald pieces start to get stupid with the monitors telling the clue backwards and other unnecessary shit.

Sonic and Shadow levels aren't much better because they are some of the most linear levels in the 3D games. There's hardly any hidden goodies or alternate paths, most of them are just straight lines. I only really like City Escape, Metal Harbour and the last one (even this one has issues like the rail grinding), the others are just bland and outright annoying.

These two games are easily some of the most overrated games in the series and this is coming from someone who actually likes Adventure 1.

Edited by Norzan, 28 September 2017 - 08:59 AM.

#4457 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:32 PM

Honestly, while I somewhat agree about the radar changes, I still think the treasure hunting stages are better in Adventure 2. They're at least their own contained levels, and I prefer how Knuckles and Rouge control to how they do in Adventure 1. Plus I fully admit to enjoying Knuckles' rap songs, and I normally don't like rap. I think it's the tune and the utterly cheesy lyrics that do it for me.

I don't mind too much that the Sonic/Shadow levels are a bit more linear than before, mostly because they're still a thrill and fun to play. There's a bit of exploration and it feels more meaningful and focused than the aimless design of the first game. I'll have to keep playing to see if my perspective changes, but after City Escape, Metal Harbor, and Green Forest, I'm still enjoying them as much as ever so far.

• Anthus likes this

#4458 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:50 PM

Someone should make an Adventure 2 mod that is only Sonic/ Shadow levels, and also mixes in the Sonic Levels from Adventure 1.

I think over all, I do prefer Adventure 2, but I do like Sonic and Tails' and most of Knuckles' levels in Adventure. I could do without the hubs, but at least you can select stages from Mission mode and play them again.

#4459 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

Playing through Master Quest 3DS and being careless 'cause I know OoT inside-out, but dying a lot for my carelessness, maybe I'll try again being careful to do well, might breathe some new life into the experience- still wish I could play it un-mirrored though, I hate the mirrored version of the overworld.

#4460 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:38 PM

Yeah I never understood why they mirrored it. The original MQ was not mirrored. I think I read somewhere that the reason was simply to throw you off if you're used to OoT's map.

I spend most of my time with OoT 3D doing the boss rush mode which, frankly would have been nice in TPHD and WWHD. What's with MM being the only 3D game that let's you do it normally? Bosses are one of the best parts of those games... In spite of my paperback novel length rant about them. :P

#4461 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:26 PM

Finally got around to importing my collection from Crystal (which in turn was imported from Red), and am starting on Pokemon Emerald. Even better, I got the 3DS version of mGBA working, so I can play it in portable form as intended instead of stuck to my computer. The newest nightly version of the emulator gets full speed, can play at either the original GBA resolution, upscaled evenly to fit the 3DS screen, or stretched to fit the screen completely with absolutely no unused space. Also has both a weak filter and a strong filter, so that things like text looks correct when upscaled without losing too much of the pixelation. The only downside is that the audio isn't perfect and is a bit crackly.

Since the tool I've been using for importing Pokemon between generations seems to work well with even hacked games (both Red and Crystal were hacked versions to remove the need to trade Pokemon), I could potentially do both of the third generation games (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and FireRed/LeafGreen), and then stick around and play the various hacked versions of the game to round up any Pokemon that I miss in the official ones. Apparently, the third generation seems to be the most popular when it comes to total-overhaul hacks that change up the entire setting. I just have to be careful about the ones that add in their own Pokemon and types. I don't mind sitting down with a move list and slightly tweaking the ones I collect to make them valid.

The only drawback to my plan, which I've finally run into, is that when I level up my imported Pokemon, since they count as traded, I start having trouble with getting them to listen to me without the Gym Badges. It's not too big of a deal, since it helps get me to use the new Pokemon that I catch instead of relying on my old team, but it does make catching up old ones a bit more of a chore. (For fairness's sake, I've got my boxes organized by level, and I limit myself to only using Pokemon in a level-appropriate box. For instance, I wasn't allowed out of the "LV 01-10" box for the first Gym Leader)

Now I'm a bit curious if there are any RPG Maker Pokemon games with a corresponding tool to create a file PokeGen/PokeSav/Whatever can read and import into the standard games.

#4462 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:53 AM

I actually started playing Sonic Adventure DX again, and have been enjoying it quite a bit. I'm also going to try and FINALLY beat Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, as I think the Chao garden is the reason my files keep corrupting. Also decided to play some more Crash Tag Team Racing, and it's as bizarre and fun as I remember.

#4463 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

I actually started playing Sonic Adventure DX again, and have been enjoying it quite a bit. I'm also going to try and FINALLY beat Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, as I think the Chao garden is the reason my files keep corrupting. Also decided to play some more Crash Tag Team Racing, and it's as bizarre and fun as I remember.

If you played the GameCube version of SA2, the Chao Garden is known to corrupt memory cards.

It was the first time I truly felt heart break...

I mean, it shouldn't be an issue on the Steam re-release.

#4464 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

So sometime two weeks or so ago I beat Sonic CD and Full Throttle Remastered shortly after Lightning Returns. That's three games within the course of three days. Earlier this week I finally got around to finishing up Parasite Eve, which I liked, though found a tad bit overrated. And just yesterday I finished up Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, so naturally I just might have to play Hexen II after this.

#4465 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:56 PM

I started another playthrough of Mario Sunshine. It's still as good as I remember, and not as annoying as people make it out to be. There's some annoying shines, but all in all, this game holds up well, and has the best 3D Mario control to date. Galaxy, and the 3D Land/ World games made Mario move too slow, and removed many of his jumps. Mario just feels good to control here, and I really hope these are the kind of controls we can expect from Mario Odyssey.

Also playing Gunple: Gunman's Proof, which is proving to be pretty fun, save for some traditionally annoying things about games from this era. Power-Up drops are random, there's no way to switch between a new weapon, and your pistol, and you get kicked back to the start of the village if you get a game over, which is annoying, and not needed, and only there to make the game longer than it really is. The dungeon design is also a bit bare, and empty. You can tell it was inspired, and probably even uses the same engine as LttP. It's a nice little distraction, and has some artwork that would be right at home in a ZC quest, and offers a unique take on top-down combat.

And, I'm also getting ready to try out some of the Steam Workshop stuff for Hat In Time. Someone already put Whomp's Fortress from SM64 in, so it should be a good ride.

• Cukeman likes this

#4466 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:50 PM

Yes, I love Sunshine! (can you feel it?) Seriously though, it's great and a true successor to SM64 IMO, but the pachinko level is awful.

#4467 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:33 AM

Only thing Mario Sunshine needed was the return of the Long Jump to make it perfect.

• The Satellite likes this

#4468 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:06 AM

maybe as an unlockable, that'd break a lot of the game

Edited by Cukeman, 17 October 2017 - 07:06 AM.

#4469 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

I miss the long jump, but it is kinda useless with the hover nozzle. It would be nice to have in the secret stages though. And, yeah, I just did the pachinko level. It's.. admittedly, pretty wonky, but it's probably the worst thing you'll have to deal with. I found that you can adjust your trajectory by landing on a certain spots of the launch pad, and it is best to get the lowest coins first, since they are the hardest, and the ones you will be most likely to die on trying to get.

#4470 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:44 PM

the manta ray boss is definitely one of my favorite moments in gaming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users