ZQuest EZGBZ Tile Warps

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

Well. I am having a few problems in my quest.

1. When Link gets a ring, the grass tiles look like the color of Links tunic

2. When I put an Insta Warp Side Warp using B and a Cave/Item Cellar tile warp using A, when I use the Side warp I got to where the tile warp was supposed to go. The tile warp works though. Also, when I hit go, I don't go anywhere (on the Tile Warp). When I play the quest, the tile warp sends me to screen 80.

3.My strings dont have a back ground at all. But I think I know how to fix it.

Well, those are my questions. I also do know how to use Zquest fluently, and I have seen tutorials. I just have a few problems.

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

1. Your grass is most likely using CSet 6 or a color from CSet 6 (if you use 8-bit mode) which changes when Link gets a ring. To fix it, change the grass tiles to not use CSet 6.
  2. Be sure the warp trigger uses the same letter as the side warp tab you're currently editing. If you have the side warp in tab B set but you have the trigger box set to A it obviously won't work.
  3. In the string editor, you can click the empty block on the attributes tab to set a string background. There should be a 2x2 text box tile on page 0 that you can use as a base. Just color the part inside the box black.

• xanadude likes this

#3 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

1. CSet 6 is for Link's colors, and it's overwritten once you pick up a new ring. So if you colored your grass with the green on cset 6, it will turn blue. Usually, you'll want to stick to csets 2, 3 and 4 for assembling your maps.

2. The tile warp is doing just what it's supposed to do. The "cave/ item cellar" warp sends you to screen 80, which is usually made to look like a cave, and is filled in with the room properties set on the screen where the warp originated. Think of the original Zelda, where every time you entered a cave it looked identical, but with different strings, shop types, and sometimes different guys.

• xanadude likes this

#4 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

Thank you! That answered all my questions!

#5 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

Quick question: Is there any script, way, anything that disables the Ring changes overworld thing? I made most of the over world already using Cset 6, and it would be to much to redo.

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

Unfortunately, really the only way around that would be to edit the ring to not change Link's cset. Or... this is kind of stupid, but you could set the ring to not change Link's cset, but give it a Link Tile Modifier that changes Link's sprites to a recolored set... this would be really stupid and might have its own issues, but it could work.

#7 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:19 AM

Unfortunately, really the only way around that would be to edit the ring to not change Link's cset. Or... this is kind of stupid, but you could set the ring to not change Link's cset, but give it a Link Tile Modifier that changes Link's sprites to a recolored set... this would be really stupid and might have its own issues, but it could work.

I've done this for something similar and it works fine. You just have to make sure you take into account all of the Shields/anything else that uses LTMs and have everything set up correct. You can also technically use 8 Bit mode and have Link's tunic change to the color of the overworld or dungeon you're currently in if you wanted. .

#8 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:02 AM

I've done this for something similar and it works fine. You just have to make sure you take into account all of the Shields/anything else that uses LTMs and have everything set up correct. You can also technically use 8 Bit mode and have Link's tunic change to the color of the overworld or dungeon you're currently in if you wanted. .

That really lifts my spirits! It might be stupid, but it might work!

#9 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:26 AM

And now I have a new problem. See, when I die in a D map, lets say Beach. I want Link to spawn at Kakariko Village. He spawns where he is supposed to. But, it is in the Beach D-Map. I get rid of spawn. Now he spawns at 00. Which makes sense but still. Do I just need a separate spawn for the Beach D map?

#10 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:36 AM

If I recall, there should be a rule in Screen -> Screen Data -> S.Flags 2 which allows Link to continue from there should the player die or F6 continue. You can always use that. Needless to say, tick the rule on the screen you want Link to continue for it to work.

#11 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:12 AM

In the Dmap editor, there should be a box on the first page marked "continue here." If you uncheck it, Link will continue from the last DMap he visited with this flag checked.

However, using the "Entrance/Exit" type warp into an NES dungeon map will still set a temporary continue point, (you'll 'continue' there, but when you save and restart you'll end up on the last DMap marked continue).

Really, the whole continue system is confusing and inconsistent.

In your case, it sounds like you just need "continue here" marked on the village DMap but not the beach, assuming they're both overworld areas.

#12 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

In the Dmap editor, there should be a box on the first page marked "continue here." If you uncheck it, Link will continue from the last DMap he visited with this flag checked.

However, using the "Entrance/Exit" type warp into an NES dungeon map will still set a temporary continue point, (you'll 'continue' there, but when you save and restart you'll end up on the last DMap marked continue).

In your case, it sounds like you just need "continue here" marked on the village DMap but not the beach, assuming they're both overworld areas.

With all this help from you guys, I am able to make my dream quest. Thank you all SO much!

#13 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:22 PM

When I do that though, Link teleports to screen 00

When I do that though, Link teleports to screen 00

Also, how do I do shutter doors, like when I beat a boss, and the shutter opens, in EZGBZ without doing it through the Doors tab.

#14 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

He teleports to screen 00 on the beach map? Or the village map?  Make sure you have the continue screen set in the village Dmap, and "continue here" checked. On the beach DMap, make sure "continue here" is NOT checked. That should work. Are you using scrolling warps to move between the two? If the warp type is "entrance/exit" that could cause a problem.

As for the shutters, I've found this script to work really well. If you have trouble setting it up, I've used it myself so I can probably help with that.

Edit: One other thing occurred to me about the continue point. If you haven't revisited the village since making the changes to the continue points, it might not register. If you start on the beach because you're testing, make sure you visit the village before attempting to continue.

#15 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

He teleports to screen 00 on the beach map? Or the village map?  Make sure you have the continue screen set in the village Dmap, and "continue here" checked. On the beach DMap, make sure "continue here" is NOT checked. That should work. Are you using scrolling warps to move between the two? If the warp type is "entrance/exit" that could cause a problem.

As for the shutters, I've found this script to work really well. If you have trouble setting it up, I've used it myself so I can probably help with that.

Edit: One other thing occurred to me about the continue point. If you haven't revisited the village since making the changes to the continue points, it might not register. If you start on the beach because you're testing, make sure you visit the village before attempting to continue.

I haven't tried the script yet, but I have the D - Map tp me to 00 with continue here NOT checked. That tps me to 00. So I make it tp to 77 with continue here still unchecked. It tps me to the Beach D-Map, screen 77. All of this is on the Beach D-Map, and I want it to tp me to 77 on Kakariko Village D-Map.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ZQuest, EZGBZ, Tile, Warps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users