11 replies to this topic

#1 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

Merry Christmas!!!

Welcome to another episode to Island Chapters.

Chapter 2 - Barrels of Fun

B6iUQT4.png?1VByiU7V.png?1

I wanted to talk about the theme of the game. The Clouds. Our Hero is up in the clouds and living in a place called, "Hometown Island" (subject to change by the way, I just love the way it sounds lol). Link is soon to travel outside of his Hometown Island, a island that he has never left. Each Island that he travels to will be different. Each Island will have its own theme, its own story, its own adventure.

Yes, this game will be a little linear because of Link's travels and because of how big the overworld is. However, later in the game, it will open up and side quests will be in place. :) However, it will be linear through the beginning travels because I don't want the feeling of being lost. That isn't the point of the game. But for those that don't care about linear quests, I would probably just stay away. ;)

I thought long and hard about the travels between island to island. One of the ways of traveling that I revealed on the First Look was Barrels. With the barrels, we can travel just like a Donkey Kong Country game and solve puzzles along the way. Here is a video that I posted on Youtube for a little bit of information. It also shows a demo of the barrels.

• Eddy, Demonlink, SyrianBallaS and 2 others like this

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:12 AM

Sounds really fascinating so far, I like the idea of each island having its own theme and story. The whole barrel idea sounds really interesting too. So yeah, this is really looking good so far!

• Shoelace likes this

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 26 December 2014 - 11:35 AM

Wow, this is really amazing. The barrels look even more fun than I would have imagined xD I also love all the small details you've shown. Very nice! The scripts seem to work great. The falling into the sky script is especially great because it brings you back to where you originally were, even if that was on a different screen.

The idea of the different islands is something I really love. I've fell in love with this idea since Wind Waker, and I don't think Skyward Sword executed it well, because it didn't have many islands you could explore. This game looks very promising. I'm looking forward to the next inside chapters. :)

• Shoelace likes this

#4 Soma C.

Soma C.

Mr. Coreaix

• Members

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:27 PM

Merry Christmas to everyone, even if it's a day late now! lol

I was wondering, Shoelace, even though you might reveal it in a future episode, but will there be a surface world, like Skyward Sword had?  Although if you do one I hope that it's one big interconnected landmass and not one where you pop into in different places ala SS.  That would certainly heighten the exploration aspect, IMO.  Looking fantastic anyway!!  :nerd: :bounce:

#5 Plutia

Plutia

CPU of Planeptune

• Members

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:52 PM

Oh god I can already see a bramble blast bonus area

• Soma C. likes this

#6 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:19 PM

Hell to the yes! Damn it Shoelace, it seems you're really being creative here! I love everything! Everything! You have definitely demonstrated why HoD is the most popular quest yet, and looks like it's successor will too! :D

So, I take this is your plan for World Domination? :lol:

• Eurysilas, EpY and Soma C. like this

#7 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:34 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned if your quest is linear. Linearity is not bad by any means; it's just how you execute it. If your story comes off entertaining filled with twists no one will see, I say the linearity is worth it. But if we are re-telling the story about Ganon kidnapping Zelda, I think trying out non-linearity would benefit there. :) There's also quasi linearity where there's an order the game wants you to go through, but you can sequence break it without breaking the story. It all comes down to preference as each has their fair share of pros and cons.

I think people who complain about any trace of linearity are no different to people who complain about cartoony graphics... It's just this "hipster" thing that has been floating around the internet. Sometimes the feedback is genuine, other times people are taught linearity is bad design and is unacceptable. I understand PureZC knows better, so I don't think having something linear would be a problem to us. So don't worry too much. :P

As with the update. I like what you're doing. I can't say I'm overly excited for the barrels but they certainly do look like barrels of fun. :) I like the little details like Link having water dripping from his clothes after drowning, and Link getting stuck in the clouds. But what I do really like are things like the arrow traps seen in one of your screenshots. I especially admire the effect of one of these arrows going through fire. I'm sure this quest will certainly have a lot of unique surprises. :)

#8 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

As long as these barrels are not red barrels I'm okay with it.

If any ones knows what I'm talking about you get a hug.

• Plutia likes this

#9 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:25 PM

Sounds really fascinating so far, I like the idea of each island having its own theme and story. The whole barrel idea sounds really interesting too. So yeah, this is really looking good so far!

Thank you.  I hope to have it where people can debate what area is better.

Wow, this is really amazing. The barrels look even more fun than I would have imagined xD I also love all the small details you've shown. Very nice! The scripts seem to work great. The falling into the sky script is especially great because it brings you back to where you originally were, even if that was on a different screen.

The idea of the different islands is something I really love. I've fell in love with this idea since Wind Waker, and I don't think Skyward Sword executed it well, because it didn't have many islands you could explore. This game looks very promising. I'm looking forward to the next inside chapters. :)

Man, the script for the pits took so long because I was still learning scripting.  But love the way it turned out. :)

Merry Christmas to everyone, even if it's a day late now! lol

I was wondering, Shoelace, even though you might reveal it in a future episode, but will there be a surface world, like Skyward Sword had?  Although if you do one I hope that it's one big interconnected landmass and not one where you pop into in different places ala SS.  That would certainly heighten the exploration aspect, IMO.  Looking fantastic anyway!!  :nerd: :bounce:

No Comment on the survive.

Oh god I can already see a bramble blast bonus area

I know.  Imagine that. lol

Hell to the yes! Damn it Shoelace, it seems you're really being creative here! I love everything! Everything! You have definitely demonstrated why HoD is the most popular quest yet, and looks like it's successor will too! :D

So, I take this is your plan for World Domination? :lol:

I really want to make this game stand out and bring a lot of Youtubers and new faces to Zelda Classic. 

I wouldn't be too concerned if your quest is linear. Linearity is not bad by any means; it's just how you execute it. If your story comes off entertaining filled with twists no one will see, I say the linearity is worth it. But if we are re-telling the story about Ganon kidnapping Zelda, I think trying out non-linearity would benefit there. :) There's also quasi linearity where there's an order the game wants you to go through, but you can sequence break it without breaking the story. It all comes down to preference as each has their fair share of pros and cons.

I think people who complain about any trace of linearity are no different to people who complain about cartoony graphics... It's just this "hipster" thing that has been floating around the internet. Sometimes the feedback is genuine, other times people are taught linearity is bad design and is unacceptable. I understand PureZC knows better, so I don't think having something linear would be a problem to us. So don't worry too much. :P

As with the update. I like what you're doing. I can't say I'm overly excited for the barrels but they certainly do look like barrels of fun. :) I like the little details like Link having water dripping from his clothes after drowning, and Link getting stuck in the clouds. But what I do really like are things like the arrow traps seen in one of your screenshots. I especially admire the effect of one of these arrows going through fire. I'm sure this quest will certainly have a lot of unique surprises. :)

I am glad must people understand linearity doesn't mean bad.  There are just some out there that think it is.  Those n00bs are the ones I was talking to for, "Don't play".  Because I don't want to hear those dumb opinions, "It's linear, it sucks."  lol

I am glad you like the arrows. ;)

As long as these barrels are not red barrels I'm okay with it.

If any ones knows what I'm talking about you get a hug.

We will see.... we will see...

#10 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:56 PM

Well linear design really does have it's problems. It's not inherently bad but it's harder to pull off.

The story has to really carry it's weight

Replayability has to be offered in more creative ways

The player has to feel a sense of freedom even if it's not there (if not, choices don't have real meaning)

-Strike

#11 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:06 PM

See, I don't see linear design as a problem at all.  It is just bad design if you don't design with it.  Just like non-linear design can make you feel lost and repetitive when it has bad design.  I guess what I am trying to get at is, I plan on having good design.  lol

But the note was just for those that think they know design and think linear equals bad. :P

#12 Soma C.

Soma C.

Mr. Coreaix

• Members

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:03 PM

haha touche' didn't expect blatant spoilers from ya...no matter what you do with this quest, I know I'm gonna love every minute! :slycool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users