Photo

Secret Combo Palette/Custom Subscreen Palette

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Megafield

Megafield

• Members

Posted 09 December 2023 - 10:24 PM

Hello, I'm having trouble with a few features I've been playing with and have struggled to find any message topics that have covered my problem.  I tried using Ctrl+Find and types Palette and Secret Combo without any helpful results.

My question is related to selecting the palette you wish you use for secret combos and elements of Custom Subscreens.  So far anytime I create a secret combo such as a hidden staircase, or the results of a bomb explosion, etc. every graphic I select ends up using a pre-selected palette of primarily graytones with a single blue color in the palette.  There doesn't seem to be a way to change the palette that I can find.  So far every secret combo I use has to be gray and white.  I was fine with this, figuring maybe I'm overlooking something and wasn't going to worry about customizing the colors I want to use for Secret Combos.

Today I'm experimenting with creating my own subscreens and following a tutorial by Binx (https://www.purezc.n...showtopic=66635), and when I tried to make the Trifforce Frame and went to select the Triforce graphic I wanted to use, it appeared on the subscreen in a gray palette instead of a palette with a yellow tone.  I tried selecting the desired color in the color tab for the Triforce Frame, but even after selecting a yellow color on their, it still appears gray.  What am I overlooking?

Thanks for any help with finding out to use the appropriate palettes I wish to use in these sections

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 10 December 2023 - 09:29 AM

If I'm understanding right, I think the issue here is not selecting the right csets. The quick version here is that, when selecting your secret combo or your triforce frame, you can use + and - to cycle through colors.

To dive into the weeds a bit more and clear up some terminology, ZC has two related terms, palettes and csets. A palette is a set of 256 colors that can be displayed on screen at the same time. A palette is divided into 16 csets (or color sets). By default a tile can only display colors from a single cset. The idea is that this allows for different color variations easily. Think of how Zelda 1 has some green mountains and trees and some orange. That's accomplished using the same tile but different csets. Using 8-bit mode, you can tell a tile to pull colors from the whole palette, allowing for more colors in the tile, but getting rid of the ability to swap its cset to change its colors.

By default, a palette in ZC will change csets 2, 3, 4, and 9. By convention, 2-4 are used for area-specific tiles (your world, basically) and 9 is used for area-specific enemies, but that's just convention. The rest of the csets are static, not changing per-area. Some quest rules in 255 let you change some of those remaining csets to palette specific as well, allowing you to have more area-specific colors.

In the case you're describing, it sounds like you're getting thrown off by the secret combo selector defaulting to cset 0 (one of the static palettes, which, in the classic tileset, is a grey/white cset). If you use + or - in a menu like that, it will change the cset. Pressing + twice will bring you to cset 2, the first of the three standard palette-specific csets, which is probably what you're looking for.

#3 Megafield

Megafield

• Members

Posted 10 December 2023 - 03:55 PM

Thanks, I managed to figure it on my own today before visiting the message board.  I appreciate you replying just in case if I couldn't figure it out my own. LOL  Have a great day, Russ.

Essentially what I did, was that I found the palette that the Secret Combos used and added some colors I wished to use and copied and pasted the graphic tiles into a free tile space and edited the tiles to use the new colors I added to the palette.  So may not be exactly the same method you described, I at least managed to find a way to get the results I was looking for in a different way.  I thank you again.

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 10 December 2023 - 04:07 PM

I'm not sure I'd advise doing it your way. You're gonna run out of colors in cset 0 (which is a static cset, not palette specific, unless you're using one of the 2.55 new rules) very quickly doing it that way. But happy you've got it working either way!

#5 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 11 December 2023 - 07:45 AM

Thanks, I managed to figure it on my own today before visiting the message board.  I appreciate you replying just in case if I couldn't figure it out my own. LOL  Have a great day, Russ.

Essentially what I did, was that I found the palette that the Secret Combos used and added some colors I wished to use and copied and pasted the graphic tiles into a free tile space and edited the tiles to use the new colors I added to the palette.  So may not be exactly the same method you described, I at least managed to find a way to get the results I was looking for in a different way.  I thank you again.

Using this method, you can only use 16 colors ever.... definitely look at what Russ mentioned again.

#6 Megafield

Megafield

• Members

Posted 12 December 2023 - 12:01 PM

I'll give Russ's method a try, Emily.  So far I just chose a few specific colors that I wanted to use universally, so having a limited palette for the Secret Combos doesn't appear to be a hinderance for my first quest I'm working on, but I will try that method on the next quest I build so I can get more milage in the future.

I'm just using this quest as a learning experience to learn the editor and experiment before tackling a super-big major project.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users