Zelda Classic 2.50.2

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

#226 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:50 AM

1) Why does Armageddongames.net still claim that v2.50.1 is still the newest?

2) Will v2.50.1 and v2.50.2 ever get a revision to add some kind of indication of which version it actually is (All 3 are called v2.50 in the program and also in Allegro.log I believe)? There doesn't need to be any other changes or anything like that so I presume it should be a pretty easy thing to do with no risk of introducing bugs? Maybe just tack on a text file that contains the version number?

3) Is the Armageddongames forum broken?

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 26 September 2016 - 08:51 AM.

#227 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:51 PM

Hey awhile back when I talked about the crashing I think I know the reason. When I ran the debugger it said std::bad_alloc was thrown. I'm almost certain it was because of VirtualMIDISynth and the Sound Font I used (GeneralCrisisMidi). That would explain the abnormal memory usage.

I got the stable build (2.5.2) to run w/o problems with it off, I'm gonna try with SGM and see if that uses too much memory at run-time.

Edit: SGM-V2.01 doesn't crash it, the other one I talked about would make ZC consume ~2GB of memory. W/ SGM it only takes ~619 MB memory.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 26 September 2016 - 09:58 PM.

#228 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:23 AM

I'm having issues with this version. Instant crashes trying to launch ZQ. I'm running on win 10, and the allegro.log stops at "Overlays not supported". Everything on the checklist above that seems to be ok.

So, basically when I attempt to use the launcher or the .exe to launch ZQ, the icon flashes on the taskbar quickly and then disappears. Is there something special I should do for compatibility?

EDIT: So the crash only occurs when I use the new 2.5 interface. Using the classic interface doesn't cause the crash.

Edited by Master Maniac, 27 September 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#229 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:26 PM

@Master Maniac

If you want to work fullscreen without the flashing (I think it's earlier in this thread) is open ag.cfg (it's in the same folder as zelda-w. Put 1 next the doublebuffer and put a 1 next to use_dwm_flush. When it loses focus it might mean it's trying to load more memory, that happens to me when I run it full screen as well.

Sorry that for zc not zq I didn't notice anything configurable that change maybe vsync to 1 and test compatibility, I'll test it and let you know soon.

Edit: Yeah I just got it to work with setting vsync to 0 under "zquest" in ag.cfg. In full screen with 2.5 interface.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 27 September 2016 - 06:32 PM.

#230 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:22 PM

1) Why does Armageddongames.net still claim that v2.50.1 is still the newest?

No one's bothered to update it. :shrug:
Initially, there was supposed to be a documentation update, but that never happened, then cad disappeared for a while. Now it's about time for 2.50.3...

2) Will v2.50.1 and v2.50.2 ever get a revision to add some kind of indication of which version it actually is (All 3 are called v2.50 in the program and also in Allegro.log I believe)?

No. It's a bigger deal to do that than you'd expect. I'll try to do it for 2.50.3.

3) Is the Armageddongames forum broken?

Well, not anymore.

Edit: SGM-V2.01 doesn't crash it, the other one I talked about would make ZC consume ~2GB of memory. W/ SGM it only takes ~619 MB memory.

That's bizarre... Does VirtualMIDISynth load the whole soundfont in the game's memory space? I would've thought it was just a virtual MIDI device or something.

I'm having issues with this version. Instant crashes trying to launch ZQ. I'm running on win 10, and the allegro.log stops at "Overlays not supported". Everything on the checklist above that seems to be ok.

That happens if the window is too big to fit on the screen. Are you running it scaled up?

#231 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:57 PM

That happens if the window is too big to fit on the screen. Are you running it scaled up?

Ah, alright. That seems to have corrected the problem. Thank you :D

#232 Mister Snooze

Mister Snooze

Paladin

• Members

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:05 PM

Just checking in here everyone, watching for the day when i can play Zelda on my windows 10 pro.

#233 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:41 PM

I can play on Windows 10 (standard edition, not the pro edition, but I doubt this would change anything) after installing DXGL and adding the ZC exe file in there. Potentially missing DLLs can be found here, among other places, if needed.

#234 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:43 PM

Setting doublebuffer=1 in ag.cfg seems to work, too.
  • Mister Snooze likes this

#235 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:43 PM

I got WIndows 10 Education. I don't think it makes a difference versioning-wise, just license holding stuff.

Winver says I have Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.222), dxgl seems to mess up the graphics badly so I don't use it.

The setting doublebuffer=1 and use_dwm_flush=1 fixes the blue flicker when launching full screen, at least for me.

After I switched the soundfont in VirtualMIDISynth (I don't like the default midi) it stopped crashing on me too.

Edit: Installing DirectX 9 Runtime (June 2010) seems to help.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 30 September 2016 - 07:50 PM.

#236 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:44 AM

You should install the DirectX Web Updater to isntall literally all DirectX Runtimes and their optional components dating all the way back to DirectX 2.0 to ensure you got all the Direct X you'll ever need, especially if you like older games..

No one's bothered to update it. :shrug:
Initially, there was supposed to be a documentation update, but that never happened, then cad disappeared for a while. Now it's about time for 2.50.3...

No. It's a bigger deal to do that than you'd expect. I'll try to do it for 2.50.3.

I would argue it is a bigger deal than the developers believe it to be. Quests work best on specific versions of the program, being able to identify what version of the program you have installed on your HDD facilitates this/makes it possible to identify if you do or don't have the right version for the quest you're playing.

Also, as an aside, will the next version contain any O/S compatibility improvements (For Windows 8.1 and 10)?

#237 Mister Snooze

Mister Snooze

Paladin

• Members

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:51 AM

Thanks everyone i managed to finally get rid of that blue flickering (windows 10 pro) and have it open in a decent size screen but now I cannot select a game for some reason.

#238 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:17 PM

I finally made the change to 2.50.2 after getting sick and tired of all the issues I was having with the cancer known as 2.50 (it just HATES Windows 10). Namely the fact that pressing "I" or trying to edit any of the drop sets made ZQuest crash. Looks like all my questmaking is going to be in 2.50.2 now. It's clear that 2.50.2 actually runs on 10 without problem (other than I couldn't save my quest until I realized I had to uncheck "Overwrite Protection", which was on by default). Love the improved generic overworld MIDI too.

#239 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:27 AM

Am running into a problem ever since Windows 10 updated recently. My game runs at like 45-50 FPS all of the sudden on my main computer. I tried playing with compatibility settings, but nothing has worked. Anyone have a solution to the lag? There is no reason a computer with a dedicated graphics card should be playing something like Zelda Classic so poorly.

EDIT: Small question, but why does ZC/ZQuest seem to run better on lower spec machines?

Edited by RedmageAdam, 19 October 2016 - 07:31 AM.

#240 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:50 AM

Am running into a problem ever since Windows 10 updated recently. My game runs at like 45-50 FPS all of the sudden on my main computer. I tried playing with compatibility settings, but nothing has worked. Anyone have a solution to the lag? There is no reason a computer with a dedicated graphics card should be playing something like Zelda Classic so poorly.

EDIT: Small question, but why does ZC/ZQuest seem to run better on lower spec machines?

I had problems with throttled framerate on windows 10 and I was able to fix it by tweaking some of the settings at the bottom of ag.cfg

doublebuffer = 1
triplebuffer = 1
color_depth = 8
frame_rest_suggest = 1
force_exit = 0
debug_console = 0
zc_win_proc_fix = 0
use_dwm_flush = 0
midi_patch_fix = 0
save_indicator = 0

I forget which one specifically was causing it, but I think it was use_dwm_flush.

ZC still hates Windows 10, though, and I still sometimes get inconsistent/skippy framerate. I've pretty much accepted that I'll never get it to run as smoothly as it did on Windows 7. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users