• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#16 Epsalon ZX

Epsalon ZX

Dragon Of Wind

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:02 PM

Ok. I managed 73 items. I have all main items except the Screw attack, and possibly a fifth misc item.  

Most of my observations are items. First...the Space Jump...its practically impossible to use. There's one really tricky area that either requires that or the Ice Beam (or both) that I can't get through  and I think that's where I need to go.. Second...the bomb jump makes it extremely easy to sequence break. And it doesn't seem like water lowers the power of the jumps either. I got the Ice Missile, Hyper Grip and Plasma Beams right after the High Jump Boots. The Speed Booster...extremely difficult to rocket upwards. I can think of at least one power up I can't get because I keep jetting to the right each attempt. I also noticed some powerups are through a narrow tunnel in mid air, and you can't actually get into the tunnel without falling. Also, once you can phase through walls...its possible to speed through entire sections of them. What comes to mind most is by the spaceship. You can phase through the wall straight to the escape sequence. Also...is there a third metroid upgrade? Because there is one barricade it won't destroy and its already big.

All in all I did enjoy this. It has a true metroid feel to it.It just needs a lot of polishing over. 

• ywkls likes this

#17 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:14 PM

Ok. I managed 73 items. I have all main items except the Screw attack, and possibly a fifth misc item.  

Most of my observations are items. First...the Space Jump...its practically impossible to use. There's one really tricky area that either requires that or the Ice Beam (or both) that I can't get through  and I think that's where I need to go... 

Can you provide a screenshot? That will help we to assist you and possibly correct whatever is keeping you from reaching that area.

Second...the bomb jump makes it extremely easy to sequence break. And it doesn't seem like water lowers the power of the jumps either. 

Sounds like you're playing beta 2. Beta 3 fixes those issues, but requires that you start over in your save file.

I got the Ice Missile, Hyper Grip and Plasma Beams right after the High Jump Boots. The Speed Booster...extremely difficult to rocket upwards. I can think of at least one power up I can't get because I keep jetting to the right each attempt. 

To use the speed boost charge to rocket, you must face a direction (up, left or right) and then hold that direction and R to rocket that way. It wanted it where you just have to press the buttons once, but some reason that way wouldn't work.

I also noticed some powerups are through a narrow tunnel in mid air, a nd you can't actually get into the tunnel without falling. 

A screenshot would be helpful to let me know what you meant. You might need the Spring Ball if you don't have that.

Also, once you can phase through walls...its possible to speed through entire sections of them. What comes to mind most is by the spaceship. You can phase through the wall straight to the escape sequence. 

It is? That's a new one. That shouldn't be possible. I'll have to look into it and see if there's a way to fix it. It'll probably involve making the walls thicker.

Also...is there a third metroid upgrade? Because there is one barricade it won't destroy and its already big.

There is. In the first water area at the bottom of the initial zone, to the right there's a gap in the ceiling you have to use the space jump to enter. Up there is a boss that gives the final Metroid upgrade.

All in all I did enjoy this. It has a true metroid feel to it.It just needs a lot of polishing over

Glad to hear that. Most of the need for polishing is due to the fact that I really haven't gotten a lot of feedback on this quest; so every little bit helps.

#18 Epsalon ZX

Epsalon ZX

Dragon Of Wind

• Members

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:02 AM

Hi again.

I'm not playing Beta 2. I tried Beta 2 last month, but Samus became permanently invisible after crouching and I couldn't play. So I waited for the next release, since I saw it had already been mentioned. Bomb jumping isn't affected by water in Beta 3, I'm using ZC 2.5.2.

The speed boost seems oversensitive to rocketing sideways instead of upwards, but I'll try more. It may be my gamepad.

Ok...that water area you mentioned is exactly why I'm stuck, and the reason is that I can't get the space jump to work properly at all. Its does work...but there are too many gaps in the timing of the jumps, and often it doesn't even jump, so I lose much more distance than I gain. I'm only missing the Spazer, 3rd Metroid, and Screw Attack. Possibly another misc item. 

I have the spring ball. Screenshots need to be hosted, right? I need to clean out my dropbox, so I can't do it right now. But the one in particular is the missile upgrade in the above the elevator that leads to the High Jump Boots. I can't get in that narrow space hidden in the left wall over the ddoor.

#19 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:10 PM

Bomb jumping isn't affected by water in Beta 3, I'm using ZC 2.5.2.

That's really weird, since the script explicitly checks for that. Unless Link->Jump is truncated or something. I'll have to check with the experts.

The speed boost seems oversensitive to rocketing sideways instead of upwards, but I'll try more. It may be my gamepad.

Well, there's really only one area where you have to surge upwards; near where the Metroids are in the top area. Most of the rest of the time, you're going left or right. Is it possible that the effect is wearing off before you try to make the jump? I lengthened the duration because I had that problem myself, but it might be still too short. One thing you can do to learn how to use it vertically is to try it in an area where you can't surge upwards. You should run into the ceiling and stop shine sparking.

Ok...that water area you mentioned is exactly why I'm stuck, and the reason is that I can't get the space jump to work properly at all. Its does work...but there are too many gaps in the timing of the jumps, and often it doesn't even jump, so I lose much more distance than I gain. I'm only missing the Spazer, 3rd Metroid, and Screw Attack. 

I usually have that trouble too, to be honest. The best thing I can tell you is to time your button presses well. You've got about a second to do it every time you want to space jump.

Possibly another misc item. 

There is something else secrety to find, though you'll need the 3rd Metroid and the Screw Attack to get there. It was a sort of last minute addition that ended up being really complicated, but definitely rewarding to those who can locate it. If you can get the first two items, I'll provide further hints to its location.

I have the spring ball. Screenshots need to be hosted, right? I need to clean out my dropbox, so I can't do it right now. But the one in particular is the missile upgrade in the above the elevator that leads to the High Jump Boots. I can't get in that narrow space hidden in the left wall over the ddoor.

I think you mean the elevator above the route to the Morph Ball and Bombs, since there isn't one in the other place. That is an issue brought up in the last testing stream which Eppy did that I didn't fix for this public beta. (Mostly because I rushed this version out once I saw how buggy the old one was in a stream Lunaria did.)

In the final version, the alcove will be two tiles wide on the outside, then narrow to go left.

As for images, you could always use imgur.

• Lightwulf likes this

#20 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:10 PM

Bomb jumping isn't affected by water in Beta 3, I'm using ZC 2.5.2.

Okay, I checked this by giving myself the gravity suit and it turns out that it is affected by water after all. You can still reach a few places you shouldn't be able to, like the lower right side of the first area and the X-Ray Visor; but these aren't really game-breaking so I'm inclined to leave those in.

The one really game-breaking acquisition you can make is the ice missiles, which you shouldn't be able to reach until after the Gravity Suit. I made that ledge a teensy bit taller just to prevent bomb jumping over it. You can still get up with the High Jump and Gravity Suit, though.

Perhaps a shot of your subscreen would also be helpful?

Edit:

Also, once you can phase through walls...its possible to speed through entire sections of them. What comes to mind most is by the spaceship. You can phase through the wall straight to the escape sequence. 

I should note that I was unable to reproduce this bug. Maybe it only happens if you have the speed boost and the Phase Modulator?

Edit 2:

Confirmed. The speed boost and phase modulate combined can go through that wall. Making it one tile thicker seems to have solved that, though.

Edited by ywkls, 29 June 2016 - 02:24 PM.

• Lightwulf likes this

#21 Gendof

Gendof

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

I'm enjoying your quest so far.

I have no idea how to make the gravity suit do anything more than the 2nd level boots do.

Do I need another item (I have the speed boost)?

• ywkls likes this

#22 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:54 PM

I'm enjoying your quest so far.

I have no idea how to make the gravity suit do anything more than the 2nd level boots do.

Do I need another item (I have the speed boost)?

Did you get the Ice Missiles yet? There's a ledge too high to get up without the Gravity Suit that has them. Once you get that you can open the door to the Hyper Grip which lets you climb any vertical wall. There's more stuff after that, but you're not there yet obviously.

• Lightwulf likes this

#23 Gendof

Gendof

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:58 AM

Thank you, I now have 68 items.

I can't seem to figure out how to "rocket" upwards at all...I have all three sets of boots plus the Ice Missiles, Gravity Suit, Hyper Grip, ands Spring Ball.

Needless to say, I'm really enjoying your quest but I am at an impass, unable to deal with overhead blocks in two places or "bombable " blocks elsewhere.

Never mind, found what I needed...isn't it always the way

Edited by Gendof, 05 July 2016 - 12:12 PM.

• Lightwulf likes this

#24 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:26 PM

Thank you, I now have 68 items.

I can't seem to figure out how to "rocket" upwards at all...I have all three sets of boots plus the Ice Missiles, Gravity Suit, Hyper Grip, ands Spring Ball.

Needless to say, I'm really enjoying your quest but I am at an impass, unable to deal with overhead blocks in two places or "bombable " blocks elsewhere.

Never mind, found what I needed...isn't it always the way

The speed boost is actually in need of a major upgrade, which will be out either with the next beta or the public release.

As it stands right now, the speed boost can actually clip through walls if you use it right. (As noted by Epsalon ZX earlier.) This allows for some major sequence breaking, so we naturally want to prevent that.

The upgraded version interacts correctly with slopes and allows for much easier use of the shine spark. Now, instead of having to face and hold the buttons in whatever direction you want to rocket; you can simply press either up, left or right and R at the same time to use this ability.

I want to watch the testing videos before uploading the next beta, as there were a few other issues which I remember noting but I don't exactly recall what all of them are at the moment.

• Lightwulf likes this

#25 Epsalon ZX

Epsalon ZX

Dragon Of Wind

• Members

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:49 PM

Hi. Sorry for the sudden break. I just loaded my file again. Please, please fix the space jump. Its completely useless. If it used Hi-Jump power, it may be ok...but since it only jumps at standard jump strength, I lose much more height than I gain. I did manage to get the final metroid upgrade, but only by miraculously getting the shine spark to rocket me upwards to where I needed to go. I'm gonna try to finish, and then I plan another quick playthrough. Love the game, but the space jump is my biggest complaint.

Edit: Nevermind the replay for right now. I'll wait until the next release. Now that I have the screw attack, I can't get back up to where I need to be. The shine spark was a miracle. I can't get it again. And with the space jump as it is...

Edited by Epsalon ZX, 07 July 2016 - 02:13 PM.

#26 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:30 PM

I see what you mean now. Somewhere in the various iterations of the space jump code; it got modified to act like the variable height normal jump and I forgot to go in and actually test and see how that worked. The current version is indeed far too hard to use.

I was planning another release by this weekend anyways, but I was hoping to view some of the videos done by people who've tested this and possibly incorporate something offered to me by another scripter; but I don't think that's going to happen. So, instead I'll fix the main issues that I currently face; the broken Speed Boost and the not-powerful enough Space Jump. I'll upload the beta at once, but I don't know when it will be available.

• Epsalon ZX likes this

#27 Epsalon ZX

Epsalon ZX

Dragon Of Wind

• Members

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

That's fine. I don't do gameplays on youtube, sorry to say. But I'll point out anything I happen to see best I can. 

#28 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:38 PM

That's fine. I don't do gameplays on youtube, sorry to say. But I'll point out anything I happen to see best I can. 

I wasn't referring to you specifically. Eppy did a stream almost two weeks ago that he's yet to upload which I plan to watch again. And Dimentio did one the other day; which has suffered the same fate.

I watched both live and commented on stuff I wanted to change even as they did the same.

Any screenshots of bugs or reports of anomalies are always helpful.

Edited by ywkls, 15 July 2016 - 10:28 PM.

• Lightwulf likes this

#29 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:55 AM

Hi, took the download demo for a spin. First time I fought the chozo guardian it walked back and forth without attacking. I killed it and took the missiles, but wasted one, so i couldn't get through the red door and had to make a new file. The second time the chozo guardian fired attacks at me. After I killed it, I went down to another area, got a missile tank, but couldn't get back up (there are some pink platforms but jumping across the vertical scroll is so hard i couldn't get samus to do it)

Edited by Cukeman, 10 July 2016 - 03:57 AM.

#30 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:16 PM

Hi, took the download demo for a spin. First time I fought the chozo guardian it walked back and forth without attacking. I killed it and took the missiles, but wasted one, so i couldn't get through the red door and had to make a new file. 

I should probably put a missile restorer or enemies who drop missiles near that boss; since I've had this happen to me too and it is kind of frustrating. However, you can continue from outside the save room and go back to an area where there are enemies who drop missiles; so it's not exactly game-breaking.

The second time the chozo guardian fired attacks at me. After I killed it, I went down to another area, got a missile tank, but couldn't get back up (there are some pink platforms but jumping across the vertical scroll is so hard i couldn't get samus to do it)

Odd thing about those purple platforms... that's the only place in the game that they're at. Also, it is entirely possible to pass through them sometimes when you're jumping. I may have to rearrange their locations to make that climb a bit easier. Or just put a ladder there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users