The Classic Tileset

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#31 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:04 PM

If you're asking about stuff to add, I've said it before and I'll say it again: more tree variation that actually looks organic. Also more house tiles. And swamp tiles. And rain forest tiles. And tall tree tiles. And snow tiles.

But all that just adds to awesomeness. There is VERY little fundamentally flawed about the tileset. It's easy to use, looks good, is well organized, and is very clean. I don't really understand why you don't like the tileset...

-Strike
  • DragonDePlatino likes this

#32 Cjc

Cjc

Cor Blimey!

• Members

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:07 AM

Hmm...so far, it seems that the general consensus is that the tileset doesn't really matter. It's the game underneath and it's aesthetics! And I can agree with that. But with development on Koten Advanced in high gear, I've been pretty eagerly following this thread to see how people would change Classic...

I mean, Come on, guys! I can understand you love Classic as a whole, but is there anything very specific you would have changed about it? Any frustrations with tiles or wanting to change character designs? Or combo organization? Additional v2.5 support? Classic works but it ain't perfect.

The overworld environment tiles are very functional, but I don't like Classic dungeons.  I also have a distaste for classic sprites, with an extreme dislike for the classic Link in particular.  Why does Link bother me so much?  Because he looks nothing like the manual art (that's VERY important!).  King Aquamentus made an awesome replacement for the Classic Link in his Zero set, which I then flattened to three colors (well, six if you count the shield) for use in this quest.

As for the other sprites (enemy sprites), the big discomfort for me is the disproportion in size compared to Link.  Stalfos, Darknuts, and Gibdos have shrunken heads by comparison if you think about it.

Due to the difficulty in the creation and display of sprites during early console gaming, these things can be reasonably overlooked in the original, but if I was looking for an enhanced Classic style I would want:

1. Updated Link Sprites
  2. Updated Enemy Sprites that are proportionate to Link
  3. Updated Dungeon Sprites that take on the same perspective as the overworld

The quest I linked to earlier in this post was my attempt at such an enhancement.  I have since been refining the set to make it more user-friendly, serving as a bridge between NES and GB graphics.

I know that wall of text looks like a big "Blargh, Classic Bad!" gripe, but I really do love the environment tiles for Classic, particularly the mountains.  Another win for Classic tilesets is no (or very slow) environment animation.  I don't particularly like it when every flower and every cubic foot of water is dancing a happy beat.  Gentle animations--like a slow breeze--or no animation at all--like most uses of classic--is much less distracting.  Lastly, the simplicity in spriting for a classic set is indispensable.  If the art style is so inaccessible that you can't design new enemies or characters on your own, then it becomes much more difficult to build with the set.

• Lightwulf and DragonDePlatino like this

#33 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:58 AM

Yes, if there is something that could have been better in the classic tileset, it's the Link sprites and the dungeon tiles. I especially don't like the dungeon walls. When I first started using the tileset, I was very confused by these wall tiles, they don't make alot of sense and they aren't simple to use. Everything in classic is simple, except the dungeon walls.

• strike likes this

#34 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:10 AM

Classic is definitely underrated. 

You think so? You must not visit the quest database a lot. Good tileset, but I don't quite think it's underrated.

Honestly, every tileset has the ability to make something pleasing.

Edited by Charizard, 23 May 2014 - 07:16 AM.

• LinktheMaster and Avaro like this

#35 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:16 AM

Honestly, I feel like right now we have the most diversity I've ever seen.  We have quite a few quests either done or in the progress for most big tilesets (except for maybe BS).  DoR, Classic, GB... you see them all nowadays.  Heck, you'll get some of each winning SotW.  So I don't think any of them are either underrated or underused.

• Shane likes this

#36 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

I've never liked the BS set.

#37 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:57 AM

it needs more stuff.  how many gb graphis have been alterd to fit into it? like enemy, entrances, npc...stuff.

It's pretty hard to do.

so then a quest can have statues like the farie or link statue. and stuff without black lines.

#38 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:23 AM

Wow!  I just saw this thread today and had a lot of catching up to do.  I didn't expect this in a Project Update thread, but I can't complain.

I'm not sure how much I can say about the Classic tileset, considering that I've modified it for my quest to include enhanced graphics.  Regardless of that, it's an "oldie but goodie" type thing and I agree that it's simple to use.  The lack of certain things (houses, for example) is what made me go beyond that.  Considering I've been making my first quest and that I'm a pretty good spriter, I wanted a bit more for my quest.  But for other starters, Classic is just fine!

(Actually, the lack of houses was the first thing that made me look beyond {which took place early on in my quest}.  It wasn't until Zecora {then blackbishop89} inspired me to make some Classic houses based off of Zelda 2 that I'd actually grasped the concept of what a Classic house should look like.  This was after I'd had a lot of experience, but I didn't want to reverse all the hard work I'd done on my quest just because of that.)

• Avaro likes this

#39 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

well i'm sorry if my comments were controversial, but I played SS and that's how I feel about. WW and TP were way better

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users