strings editor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

Is there a decent guide to working with string tables, floating around somewhere, that I missed?

I seem to get the idea that people use external editors, although I don;t know if I should be using an ASCII, HEX, or other BIN editor to work with these files; or if they are in any intelligible format.

I've always used the in-built string editor, but in starting to actually do some work with Tango, it's a real pain to type long command sequences into a tank turret window. I just can;t imaging creating a series of string code, in an editor that you can see, and then needing to re-type it into ZQuest being the most viable option; nor a method that people such as Saffith use.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it's blasted inefficient, and tedious as can be...

When I open a string table in an editor (Coda, Notepad++, SciTE, etc.), the table uses code characters, such as (NUL) everywhere. I don;t know what is necessary, how to arrange formatting, etc., in an external editor, which is getting to be a critical string tool for what I'm trying to do.

A guide, or some assistance in comprehending exactly how anyone makes string tables to import, and works with existing string tables, would be very useful, and much appreciated.

P.S. Yes, I;'e tried Google search, and forum searches. The results are either so wideband, that they're useless in context, or seem to point to people asking similar questions from two to three years back.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 29 April 2014 - 10:20 PM.

• LinktheMaster likes this

#2 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

I would absolutely love being able to edit the string tables externally and import them.  Heck, I'd maybe even consider creating a (very) basic program to handle parsing the special characters.  Nick and I have also looked into it, but we haven't had much luck figuring out what's what.

#3 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:37 PM

Sometimes I just give in and hardcode my strings in the script files. But an external editor would be awesome!

Hey, maybe I could do that this summer if LTM doesn't beat me to it.

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:13 AM

Sometimes I just give in and hardcode my strings in the script files. But an external editor would be awesome!

Hey, maybe I could do that this summer if LTM doesn't beat me to it.

I was wondering if append functions, or something similar, would allow me to hard-code strings in scripts, similar to echo functions, and was considering giving a go at making something that did this. I had asked Saffith for an echo function in Tango, to do exactly that, but as yet I have no received a response.

Would you mind sharing a few examples?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: strings, editor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users