Custom Boss Ideas for "Volcano" Dungeon

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 idontknow8

idontknow8

Senior

• Members

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

What are some good ideas for a custom boss for a volcano dungeon? What should it look like? What should its attacks be?

#2 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:24 PM

I would say a Fire Gleeok but also it submerges from lava and can only die when ice is used against it.

#3 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:35 PM

rip up some dragon tiles and make your boss.. because the gleok thing is kindah old news. make something that us gamers wont expect when in a volcano dungeon and put an item in the dungeon to kill the boss using it. icon_wink.gif

#4 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:39 PM

Diamond golem.

He throws lava rocks that land on the arena, then the rocks cool and some of them turn into diamonds (which are Magic Prism combos). Then you have to use the Wand to reflect a magic blast in the right directions so that it'll strike the golem with a reflected magic blast.

As he takes hits, make more rocks appear each time he drops them, and make some of them Magic Sponge combos to make the puzzle harder.

Put Fire Statues in the two top corners of the first 2-3 hits, and then in all four corners in the last 2-3 hits. Give him 5 hits.

How does that sound? Not too hard to make if you ask me... icon_wink.gif

Edit: Oh right. And in between lava rock bombardments, put Link on a screen with the fire statues in the corners and Rock enemies falling down. About 16 seconds there sounds good.

Then if you want to make it harder, you can make a timer for each wand/lava rock puzzle so that if you don't fire the magic blast to damage the boss quick enough, the lava rocks all disintegrate and you're back at the Falling Rocks screen for another 16 seconds.

Edited by Schwa, 30 July 2008 - 08:42 PM.

#5 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:05 PM

I asked for a Prometheus sprite a while back, and no one replied... icon_cry.gif
But that's what I'm going to use as a custom boss for my volcano, Mt. Explon...when I get tiles for it or make them myself...
but that's an idea.
Or how about a Volvagia like the one in Ocarina of Time's fire temple? I think you're going to script it though for it to work, unless you're really good with custom bosses in 2.10.
Or what about Thor from Norse Mythology?
Something legendary would be my suggestion, or something fiery. icon_lol.gif

Schwa: how do you do timed warps? that's something that has been puzzling me for a while. icon_confused2.gif

#6 idontknow8

idontknow8

Senior

• Members

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:35 PM

Awww man, I do like the Lava Rock monster idea! Except I dont think the player will have the magic wand by then, plus I already started a boss...

It's a guy made up entirely of flames. When you enter his lair, you see his head & body (made up of 9 flames altogether) in its entirety. But then he gradually fades away and an evil laugh <Mwahahaha!> sounds. Then the flames reassemble themselves in different patterns, such as different lines, a diamond shape, falling from the sky, etc. So you'll have to avoid them as much as you can. I may use the suggested rock idea for this too now though!

To defeat the boss, every once in awhile, a series of "hookshot triggers" (since the HS is the special item found in the dungeon) will appear. You have to trigger all of them quickly and if you do, water shoots down onto this boss (via a brief cut scene). Each time you do this, one of the 8 body segments disappears. Repeat until you destroy all 8. Then just the head appears and attacks. Not sure how it should attack though...

Your thoughts/ideas?

#7 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:51 PM

nice one idont know is that boss sceripted or something?

#8 idontknow8

idontknow8

Senior

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:06 AM

Nope! It's simply through Free-Form Combos and direct Timed Warps. I dont know how to script, nor intend on tring to learn.

I just have to figure out how to have multiple triggers shared amongst all these different attack screens so that they don't reset each time Link instantly warps to the next screen.

Oh and here are the attacks I have so far:
1. 8 flames enter from all 4 sides, two at a time.
2. 9 flames fall and then they sorta snake around the platform and then exit the platform & leave the screen to the right
3. "Blaze" (tentative name of the Boss) jumps, which causes Boulders to fall
4. 9 flames fall from the sky and land on the platform in a diagonal, pattern like this: / and then they fire themselves off the platform
5. 9 Flames fall from the sky in a diamond shape in the center of the platform and they all fire themselves in different directions
6. 9 Flames form an arrow, like in the following diagram at the bottom edge of the screen & quickly fly across the platform:

...F.F
..F.F.F
F...F...F
.....F

F=flame
.=space

I'm trying to think of other attacks for him to do, other than simply having flames fly across the platform (or drop on the platform) in different shapes. There's the rock-falling one like I said, which is pretty cool. Suggestions are welcome.

Edited by idontknow8, 31 July 2008 - 01:17 AM.

#9 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:47 AM

nice ill stick with flame and rocks falling i think its a pretty cool boss attack...what level is that in the game . i hope is not level 1 lol

#10 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:56 AM

Eh, FFCs... Too bad, really. I was talking about my boss idea for version 2.10.

Has it come down to that nobody but a select few people have any custom boss-making capabilities without their fancy-pants "new version"? Disgusting. icon_disgust.gif

Not criticizing you or anything, idontknow, but it just bugs me is all.

#11 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:37 AM

icon_odd.gif So using 2.5 automatically makes you less skilled at quest making? Have you ever tried making a custom boss using FFC's? Sure, it's easier to do certain things like move, but there's a whole other skill that you have to master. You don't criticize people that use Photoshop because the features make it easier to draw high detail art than Paint, do you?

Anyway, I like the boss idea- it hasn't been done before, and I think it'll work great. One thing you might want to consider is giving your boss a core. Hookshotting onto the core during a certain attack (up to your discretion) would put you next to it and stun Blaze, allowing you to attack it. I like bosses that you actually fight, rather than bosses that you indirectly kill.

#12 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jul 31 2008, 08:37 AM) View Post

icon_odd.gif So using 2.5 automatically makes you less skilled at quest making? Have you ever tried making a custom boss using FFC's? Sure, it's easier to do certain things like move, but there's a whole other skill that you have to master. You don't criticize people that use Photoshop because the features make it easier to draw high detail art than Paint, do you?

You know what, you make a very good and valid point, and I'm gonna have to say I was in the wrong this time. icon_redface.gif

What got to me was how I completely saw in my head how to design the diamond golem boss I recommended, in 2.10, and the guy who liked the idea, idontknow8, could only envision this being made in the betas (or if not, he didn't show it). That's what bugged me. I'd like to elaborate more but I don't know how in-depth I can explain it. Hopefully you get what I'm saying, right? icon_confused.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users