A Sprite A Day Keeps the Rust Away.

• Please log in to reply
512 replies to this topic

#481 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:15 PM

Hi-res practice and progress for our other project.

JkDzwGi.gifWJz3Yuu.gif

w3YjlFT.gif IktwWGk.gif

EDLIfeQ.gif gCfgI8d.gif

cgf68A2.gif Ux1SR1b.gif

o7qEn6V.gif qrI9IIK.gif

5gI0EIW.gif 6OH705Q.gif

8Ogt4jX.gif wDWYMOZ.gif

QNo9tfl.gif qu541mJ.gif

EIRO8vm.gif uB8tFs8.gif

mRl0yZT.gif rulB52l.gif

KEP3737.pngx6utzrC.png

Edited by Koh, 01 March 2016 - 07:29 PM.

#482 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:53 AM

Nice work. How is it high-res though? By virtue of being twice as big?

#483 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:45 AM

Petty much yeah.  If I were to do the whole 4x resolution upgrade thing like most HD remakes do, then I'dve called it HD.  But since it's not that huge of an increase, I just called it high resolution, lol.  But as shown, it's not just a resolution upgrade either; the frames of animation are doubled to close the introduced gap in the pixels, for continued smoothness.

Edited by Koh, 02 March 2016 - 07:49 AM.

#484 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:22 AM

I made a sprite when I should have been studying.

So... I was setting up MC Link sprites for my quest, when I started thinking about his proportions since he's not really a child or an adult, and... this happened:

vfup9e.jpg

The three Links were kind enough to take a group picture for me:

10e1wg2.jpg

So... yeah. If I had any free time on my hands it'd totally be fun to make all the sprites for Young Link and Adult Link for ZC.

It's funny how easy it looks like it was to make this. It was hard. I had 4 different versions/redesigns between MC Link and Adult Link before I got it right, and the same thing is true for Young Link.

I'd appreciate credit if used.

Edited by Cukeman, 04 March 2016 - 03:12 AM.

• Bourkification, Shane, Jared and 1 other like this

#485 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:29 AM

Wasn't Link already young in MC?  The smaller one makes him look like a toddler, lol.  As for the taller one, the shading on the upper portion  of the tunic is a tad dark; the perspective would deem that portion of his body closer to the camera, so it should be lighter.

#486 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:50 AM

Wasn't Link already young in MC?  The smaller one makes him look like a toddler, lol.  As for the taller one, the shading on the upper portion  of the tunic is a tad dark; the perspective would deem that portion of his body closer to the camera, so it should be lighter.

No, Link wasn't young in MC. Have you seen the size of the shool children in Hyrule Town? MC Link is between childhood and adulthood, just like WW Link is. Compare WW Link to his sister Aryll, and the children on Windfall Island and you'll see what I mean.

A closer look at character sizes reveals:

Adults: Taller than WW/MC Link

Between Child and Adult: WW Link/Medli, MC Link

Children: OoT Link/Saria/Mido, WW Aryll/Komali

Small Children: MM Bombers, WW Joel/Zill/Killer Bees/Potova/Joanna, MC School Children

Toddlers: MM Baby Goron (well, he's probably larger than a human toddler)

___I actually started off designing Young Link with the proportions of the children in the Hyrule Town school, then ended up making him 2 pixels taller than that. Since the Bombers/Killer Bees/MC School Children are clearly much older than toddlers, and the Young Link I made is taller than they are, I don't see how you can say he looks like a toddler. EDIT: The last time I checked, a toddler's eye level doesn't line up with the bottom of an adult's pecs.

___If you said that my version of Young Link looks more like a small child than a child, you might have a point. I'd have to see an actual correct comparison of Young OoT Link and Adult OoT Link (from 1998) standing side-by-side (not fan art, and not something thrown together in Photoshop). I'll look for an official size comparison image later, and I think I should be able take a good screenshot of Adult Link and Young Link standing in the same spot in-game next to a sign or a gossip stone or something, but just at a glance I'd say that Young Link's eyes lining up with the bottom of Adult Link's pecs is pretty darned accurate. I wouldn't look at MM Link, since his design is different than OoT Young Link's and he appears to be a tad older, at least in the illustration art, I'm not sure about his in-game model.

___Anyhow, I didn't want to make Young Link's head as freakishly huge as the MC school children. In real life our heads don't shrink as we get older- children's heads appear to be so large because their heads are typically adult size around age 3, then the rest of their body catches up.

___The Young Link and Adult Link I've made are comparable to MC Link in height, but I'm not using the same stylized proportions as MC Link, mine are slightly more realistic, which is why I didn't try to emulate the head sizes in MC (my sprites are not designed to match the proportions of the characters you find in MC).

___Also, if you take a closer look at the tunic shading of either Link that I made, you'll see that it's actually lighter than the shading on MC Link's tunic. Observe how MC Link's tunic is entirely shaded from the belt up, while the shading on my sprites starts above the belt.

___Your statement about the perspective of the camera is flawed. How light or dark something is has nothing to do with what is closer to the camera, and everything to do with whether or not it's in shadow. If the camera was 100 feet above the ground, a cucco in an open field would be lighter than an owl halfway up a 75 foot tall tree who was being shaded by tree branches.

___Since the light source is above Link, there actually is a shadow being cast beneath Link's head and chin.  It's true that shadow wouldn't be as large as I've depicted it, but MC depicts that shadow much larger than I did, so if my sprite's upper torso is too dark, then MC Link's torso is way too dark.

___EDIT: The other reason the upper torso on Adult Link is as dark as it is, is because if I made it lighter, his shoulder strap would stand out too much (I tried it). Sometimes a design/color decision has to take precedent over reality.

___If MC Link's torso appears less dark than Adult Link's it's solely because of an illusion created by simultaneous contrast: his sleeves aren't shaded at all, so his tunic looks brighter than it is (you can color pick the image if you don't believe me).

___EDIT: Shoot, looks like I left an extra pixel on one of the sprites.

___EDIT: Maybe if I made the browns lighter I could ligthen the area on Adult Link's chest. It's worth a try.

Edited by Cukeman, 12 March 2016 - 02:39 PM.

• Shane and Logos like this

#487 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:21 PM

I especially like the small Link. The real challenge of course would be to finish the entire sprite sheet. But who would want to do that?

#488 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:29 PM

I especially like the small Link. The real challenge of course would be to finish the entire sprite sheet. But who would want to do that?

*raises hand*  :tard:

Edited by Cukeman, 04 March 2016 - 04:29 PM.

#489 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:20 PM

zpTyyoO.gifXJFj9xj.gif

The difference in animation fluidity for Hi-Res versus Lo-Res made clear.

Edited by Koh, 05 March 2016 - 02:20 PM.

#490 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:09 PM

4GRu6d4.png

kBmnCny.png

An in-engine test of the res switch so far.

Edited by Koh, 12 March 2016 - 01:09 PM.

#491 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:32 PM

The treetop's perspective clashes with the stump's. I really like what you're going for (mainly lo-res as usual) but hopefully you can see what I mean about the perspective. The stump should be more top down like the treetop.

What's the hand for? Is it an enemy that points you to death? :P

#492 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:35 PM

Have you tried a version where the black outline gets smoother without becoming half as thin?

#493 Logos

Logos

Gnome Child

• Members

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:02 PM

4tyK2wO.png

A new wand sprite I made.

• Jared likes this

#494 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:11 PM

The treetop's perspective clashes with the stump's. I really like what you're going for (mainly lo-res as usual) but hopefully you can see what I mean about the perspective. The stump should be more top down like the treetop.

What's the hand for? Is it an enemy that points you to death? :P

I actually don't see it unfortunately.  I did make the stump topdownish, but the back roots are covered up by the bottom leaves so it's hard to tell.  If I exaggerated the roots a bit more, it could rectify the issue, but then the roots may end up looking too big.  

The hand is just Vector's hand acting as the mouse cursor.  We decided it can't hurt to allow the use of the mouse for some things, in addition to keyboard controls, like selecting thing on menu screens and such.

Have you tried a version where the black outline gets smoother without becoming half as thin?

That would be smooth resolution, which could be a mode introduced later.  Basically Lo-Res with smoother features, like what I did here for practice.

4tyK2wO.png

A new wand sprite I made.

Looks pretty good, though it feels like the bottom-left most pixel should be erased, to make it the handle seem rounder, instead of boxy.

#495 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:25 PM

You asked for smooth res, and you got it.

Lo

YZHlNx8.png

Smooth

2bDVG5o.png

Hi

aSo0nID.png

• Cukeman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users