• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#61 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

Y'know, if you don't like the color of the feather, you can change it yourself when the tileset is released, because there's nothing stopping you.  Like, I just don't get why anyone's making a deal out of it?  I mean, the Master Sword and Hylian Shield have constantly changed shape and size and color but no one gives two shits about that, but someone colors the feather the same way as it was in Link's Awakening instead of the Oracles, and it's the worst design choice possible.

• SpikeReynolds, Shane, Haylee and 3 others like this

#62 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

The colors plus the shape is what makes it look awkward.  He asked for constructive criticism and he got it.  Criticism on criticism isn't going to push this tileset forward.

#63 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:15 PM

Well, I don't want to be that guy, but you do tend to criticize everything.

I mean, an unconditional compliment is a good thing (and goes a long way to push this forward). Plus the way you said it was arrogant. You could've said, 'I think the feather could be blue like in the Oracle games' rather than 'Roc's feather is a blue-white feather' which implies that DDP doesn't know something he should.
  • Shane likes this

#64 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

Well, I don't want to be that guy, but you do tend to criticize everything.

I mean, an unconditional compliment is a good thing (and goes a long way to push this forward). Plus the way you said it was arrogant. You could've said, 'I think the feather could be blue like in the Oracle games' rather than 'Roc's feather is a blue-white feather' which implies that DDP doesn't know something he should.

There's always room for improvement.

You're reading too deep into it.  The point was that the feather was only brown once, and forevermore blue and white.

Even on DeviantARt, I rarely just give straight praise.  I almost always find something that could've been done better.  Or something clever to say.

Edited by Koh, 04 May 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#65 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

Pointless argument is pointless. Just saying. The phrasing may not have been delicate, but it was to the point. And if DDP was offended by it, I'm sure he would have said something by now.

Either way, what's throwing me off about it is just the general shape of it. If it were pointed or something, it would be better. But the way it is now just looks... wrong? I know that's not the word I'm looking for, but I'm sleep deprived lol.

#66 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

*Checks in on thread next day*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI

Jesus Christ people, it's just a feather! All I need is one person to say something and as long as it's reasonable I'll change it.  :aggravated: Nitpicking isn't what gets on my nerves, it's nitpicking of nitpicking of nitpicking. And if you keep fighting, I'll make it green or purple or something... :lol:

Anyways, pretty much everyone so far has ignored my other question, and that's should I add more levels of items? Like, an additional sword or boomerang. For example, if you look at the sword image I posted, you'll see the guilded sword. Two ideas of how I could add this into the tileset would be:

A) Give the guilded sword the same attack power as the master sword, but a special effect like shield-breaking or projectile deflection.

B) Tune down everything so that the guilded sword is as strong as the master sword, and the master sword is a bit weaker.
  • Shane and Jared like this

#67 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

The phrasing may not have been delicate, but it was to the point. 

That's who I am and will always be.  No need for fluffy statements or beating around the bush; say what you mean and mean what you say.

I'll make it green or purple or something...  :lol:

Do it for the luls.  Green is a double jump with a leaf effect.  Purple is a super jump with a ghosted effect.

Anyways, pretty much everyone so far has ignored my other question, and that's should I add more levels of items?

My answer to your question is this:  Are these just simple item-editor upgrades, or items that would require scripting?  If it's the former, add as many as you want.  If it's the latter, do whatever is within your knowledge of scripting.

Edited by Koh, 04 May 2014 - 02:28 PM.

#68 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

There's always room for improvement.
You're reading too deep into it. The point was that the feather was only brown once, and forevermore blue and white.

Even on DeviantARt, I rarely just give straight praise. I almost always find something that could've been done better. Or something clever to say.

Well, that's the thing. Just because there is something that could be improved doesn't mean it should be improved. It is usually best to reserve criticism for genuine problems. There is always something that can be improved.

For me, when I ask for criticism, I'm asking about big problems. When I see people who are always looking for things to criticize, I just ignore them because that's not the kind of information I'm interested in. I'm looking for things a layperson would see, not things seen by the microscope of an expert.

Hold words only for when they are needed most.
  • Shane, Jared and Demonlink like this

#69 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

If you whip yourself into shape fixing the smaller issues, you generate better output in the future, since you know what to watch out for when you draw in the future.  All constructive criticism is meant to help you, short term or long term.  Especially in the case of pixels.  One pixel can make a major difference.

Edited by Koh, 04 May 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#70 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

OTL Everyone, please stop fighting! I hate seeing people quibble like this because I already get it enough in real life. It's been going on for at least an entire page and not to mention, it's really off topic. Move it somewhere else or I'm going to go ask a mod to lock the topic and that'll be that.  :aggravated:

#71 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:59 PM

OTL?

#72 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:21 PM

Everything looks fantastic, DragonDePlatino.  My only complaints are that the boomerang and the (bomb?) bag (above the quiver) look somewhat flat.

Keep up the good work.

#73 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

OTL?

Oh for the Love of God, everyone....?

#74 Cjc

Cjc

Cor Blimey!

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

From here on out, I'm so far into the project that it's taking it's final shape. Thus, I'll be a lot more open for constructive critisism. How do these graphics look so far? And on the same note, what would you guys think about more items? There are already a ton of unused graphics in the default tiles, so it would be easy to go into the item editor and add in alternate levels using existing graphics. For an idea of what I'm talking about, here's the finished page 78:

swords_by_dragondeplatino-d7h0fqv.png

I have a recommendation and I'll use the shields as an example:

You can make two distinct items have the same item level and the engine will not complain.  If you pick up a second item with the same level and itemclass as an item you already have, the item with the higher number will be the one the player keeps.

With that in mind, I recommend having two shields for each level: one for physical projectile deflection and one for magical projectile deflection.

From Left to Right:

ChessBoard Shield (L1): Blocks Rocks and Arrows

Triforce Shield (L1): Blocks Fireballs

Sheikah Shield (L2): Blocks Rocks, Arrows, and Swords

Gohma Shield (L2): Blocks Fireballs and Magic

Magic Shield (L3): Blocks Rocks, Arrows, Swords, and Magic

Hylian Shield (L3): Blocks Fireballs, Magic, Boss Fireballs, Rocks, and Arrows

Coat of Arms (L4): Reflects Rocks and Magic, blocks Arrows and Swords

Dragon Shield (L4): Reflects Fireballs, Boss Fireballs, and Magic, blocks Rocks and Arrows

It sort of falls apart at Level 4, but these things usually do.

As for your swords, you've clearly designed the Gilded Sword to look more powerful than the Master Sword, so I'd say just go ahead and make it more powerful.  Alternatively, you could build 8 swords like you did shields and have them built with a similar premise: one with a lower HP requirement for beams and one with more damage.

I really like the fourth shield from the left (the one I called Gohma shield)

• DragonDePlatino likes this

#75 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

(Hmmm... I tried clicking on "Quote", but it doesn't paste the user's entry as a quote like it normally does... :eyebrow: Darn.)

Honestly, DDP, I like your sprites as they are. :) They don't have to be exactly as in other quests/tilesets because this is basically a new graphical style.

I'm not even sure how the feather would look if it came to a tip.  Its shape, as it is now, is almost exactly the same shape as Classic Roc's Feather; it just looks different because of the added line details.  (Also, if I'm not mistaken, the default Roc's Feather item that comes with ZC 2.50 is red & white, so I don't think its color is that big of a deal.  We're not talking about GB color here, anyway.)

About the levels, that's a good question.  You could always choose to follow the mainstream and make the same amount of leveled items that comes with ZC, leaving it up to individual users to make their own custom swords & shields, etc.  Or, you could decide on your own new standard of leveled items. ;)  As a sort-of standard for Koten, maybe to go along with whatever basic quest you plan on making with this tileset.  Cjc's ideas are quite intriguing.  You could do something like that.

• DragonDePlatino likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tileset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users