Photo

How to make push blocks permanent on a Cave DMap?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:28 PM

Anyone who hasn't tried this is going to wonder why I'm even asking such a silly question. But if you haven't tried this before, go in and try it now. The way ZC handles push blocks is bizarre. Here's what I have to work with:

If you set a Push flag* ...

- ...on a combo with no properties, it will trigger the "stair" secret alone and emit no secret noise. Permanent.
- ...on a combo with "Push-wait" properties, it will immediately trigger all secrets on the screen, BUT, it is only temporary.
- ...on a combo with "Push-heavy" properties, it will trigger the "stair" secret and emit a secret noise, AND, only after you have left the screen and returned, the other secrets will be triggered as you re-enter the screen. However, it is permanent.
- ...on any combo and then set a "Block Trigger" flag to push it onto, it will immediately trigger all secrets on the screen, but again, it is only temporary.

** in most cases, I'm referring to flags which are not marked as "NS."

Do you see my dilemma? icon_confused.gif

Now, another important fact is that a "trigger perm." could be used in conjuction with anything that gives temporary effects, and it will make those effects permanent; however, the "trigger perm." combo MUST be present on the screen from the moment you enter it. Making a "trigger perm." combo appear via a secret will not result in permanent effects. A common way of using "trigger perm." combos is to put something unwalkable on top of them on layer 1, then using the triggered secret to make it walkable.

Just in case you're wondering, the reason I really want a push block trigger is because I have an entire dungeon designed around pushing switches and then walking around to walk across the newly-opened area that the switch affected. I also have some graphics I've concocted which can only be used as intended by employing push flags. :\

#2 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:40 PM

Yipes! I have the same problem. Not with Blocks though. I thought Trigger Perm only worked if you walked ontop of it. Is this (still?) true? See, in mine, if a player goes back and unitentional way, he's stuck on water with no flippers. That just sucks. Sorry if I can't figure it out. I'll see what I can do later.

#3 Lonemind

Lonemind

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:20 AM

Could you possibly put a trigger perm on the other side of where Link is trying to get to, that way if he steps on that as he's going back it becomes permanant? It's functional. Not neccissarily pretty though, seeing as all the secret combos will trigger without pushing the block. It's a thought though.

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:18 AM

Yeah, Lonemind, the problem is that despite being labelled "trigger perm.", permanent triggers are not really permanent if they appear as the result of a secret combo or undercombo. They need to be actually present on the screen for their effects to be permanent upon returning to that screen.

Actually, y'know, I've just given up on this and decided to go with sword flags. I can always use the other kind of triggers elsewhere, and it's not worth all this fruitless effort just because I'm being overly picky. So no worries. icon_wink.gif

Edited by Radien, 08 January 2005 - 03:19 AM.

#5 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 08 January 2005 - 04:19 AM

Yeah, Lonemind, the problem is that despite being labelled "trigger perm.", permanent triggers are not really permanent if they appear as the result of a secret combo or undercombo. They need to be actually present on the screen for their effects to be permanent upon returning to that screen.

That's not correct.
I have perm triggers set by pushblocks triggering the secret, which then makes them permanent in several of my quests.
One example is the switches in the Zora's caverns in SFE, those are actually pushblocks with the switchs on layers above them, and when triggered a perm trigger is placed behind Link so when he turns and walks away the secret is made permanent. icon_shrug.gif

#6 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:48 AM

Oh? Hmmm... icon_confused2.gif

Upon retrospect, I may have gotten the order wrong. Back in Master Quest, I first encountered the problem when I was trying to make the trigger perm. change into a different combo after the secret was triggered, rather than have the trigger itself appear as the result of a secret.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll see if it works that way. I have a hunch that results vary according to a series of fine details.

#7 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 08 January 2005 - 05:31 PM

Really...? That's nice. I may use them then in my quest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users