Beach Tile Ideas

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lonemind

Lonemind

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 23 December 2004 - 03:23 AM

As I'm creating my tileset I've been running out of ideas for various things. One of the major areas I've run out of ideas for is the beach. I think I have enough land tiles but I'd appreciate some thoughts on what to put on the water. I can't make it transparent so the objects must stick out of the water to be seen. So far I have rotten wooden posts and rocks. I imagine I could make some floating seaweed... any other ideas??

#2 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 23 December 2004 - 07:06 AM

The seaweed sounds like a good idea to me. Not sure if this would work, but one thing you could try is to make it look like a school of fish is swimming around in the water, or maybe have a shark fin emerge every once and while.

Well, that's my two cents. Good luck. icon_biggrin.gif

#3 Lonemind

Lonemind

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:00 PM

Hmm... that sounds pretty good. The shark fin is cool. I can do that easily. The fish... I dunno, I really can't do objects that're underwater. Like I said, the water is more or less umm... solid. icon_lol.gif You can't see under it.
Other ideas are more than welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:29 PM

If you can't see under it, you can always use shadows. icon_smile.gif The Sun Tower set has a fish swimming upstream that uses that technique. It's just a silhouette done in dark blue on the medium blue water.

By the way, I've been doing some tile editing/creation to produce a set of seashore tiles where the waves dissipate into regular still water as you go further from shore. Since the original incomplete shore tiles were Gashin's, I may release them to loose tiles. What are you using for yours?

#5 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:11 PM

Yeah the Sun Tower has both shark and seaweeds. You should check it out.

#6 Lonemind

Lonemind

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:22 PM

I've ripped nearly all my tiles from the game my avatar is from. *excited girlie moment* "EEEEEeeeeeee!!!" SD3! All the sea tiles are similar to that. I took a look at the Sun Tower tiles. Most of the tiles Gashin was using won't meld well with SD3. I'm gonna doctor those salmon tiles. Those are great. I couldn't find the shark fin, cool mike.
Radien, do you think your "surf to still" water tiles'd work in SD3?

Edited by Lonemind, 23 December 2004 - 11:40 PM.

#7 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 24 December 2004 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE(Lonemind @ Dec 23 2004, 08:22 PM)
Radien, do you think your "surf to still" water tiles'd work in SD3?

Hmmm... *strokes chin* I don't know. They are more detailed than any of the shore tiles found in Pure sets, but their style still might not be detailed enough for SD3. I'd rather just show them to you (and everyone else). At this point I'm looking at them and wondering whether any of the animation quirks look bad enough to warrant change. Aside from that, I have a fully-functioning set of animated tiles right now.

Also, if dissipating doesn't look good for your water, non-dissipating would not be difficult to make.

....Also. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEyes SD3 rocks. icon_bounce.gif I used Riese as a model while drawing early Serenia tiles.

#8 Lonemind

Lonemind

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 24 December 2004 - 08:24 PM

Awesome, thanks Radien. I think I found a way to use the SD3 shore tiles though. With those and the suggestions I got in this post I believe I can fill up the vast amounts of ocean water pretty well. Thanks to everyone who gave me help. icon_biggrin.gif
I used Riese as a model while drawing early Serenia tiles.
Really? No wonder I thought Serenia looked so awesome! Go figure. icon_lol.gif

#9 Banedon

Banedon

Adept

• Members

Posted 24 December 2004 - 09:02 PM

Serenia? As in, the setting of King's Quest V?

#10 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 24 December 2004 - 10:15 PM

No..He means Serenia from his quest DoR main character. icon_wink.gif

And whose Riese? icon_blink.gif

#11 Lonemind

Lonemind

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 December 2004 - 02:50 AM

Riese is a character in Sieken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2). If you played the ROM, which you probably did if you live anywhere but Japan since it wasn't released outside of Japan, you would know Riese as Lise. She's the dragoon/amazon princess girl from the mountain kingdom in the game.

#12 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 25 December 2004 - 09:18 AM

Oh yeah now I remember icon_idea.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users