Photo

SticksAndStones.qst -- 3/2015 demo

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#121 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

here is a clickable link to the quest project page:  Sticks And Stones

try the demo.  I'm going to try to have another one out in the next month or so, so feedback can have an influence and is always welcomed.

#122 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:23 AM

it should work fine in any versions except 2.1s. leave feedback.

Edited by trudatman, 27 January 2014 - 12:35 AM.

#123 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:32 AM

So 1.92 will play it okay?

#124 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

most likely. it hasn't been tested in 1.92, but I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work.
  • David likes this

#125 LikeLike on fire

LikeLike on fire

vaugly coherent

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

http://youtu.be/VMzYcgKS6xk

arrhgg. I don't know.

#126 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

awesome. about to watch. I'm figuring you struggled.

oh, yeah. you surely struggled. wow. kind of hard, eh?

Edited by trudatman, 16 September 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#127 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

Hard isn't bad. I played it for a bit and oddly enough I had the most trouble trying to find the end of the screens (and trying to find out what objects on the screen are what, but that was part of the fun)

#128 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

word. I'm hoping you'll play the whole demo and give it a proper review. any extra suggestions from a dude that knows what's up with 1.90 would be great. thanks for your time.

#129 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

keep in mind that the edit code is 723. if a screen is too hard, erase some enemies. anybody got any comments on the new items and/or the new enemies?

Edited by trudatman, 06 May 2016 - 01:00 AM.

#130 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

I'm hoping somebody has an opinion on the alien technology, the stickma, the stickhandlas and/or the stickrobes.  has anybody gotten to the end screen?  the Gannon room?

#131 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

well... somebody just downloaded the demo that is a year old from the project page.  while I can think of reasons for keeping it available and for somebody to download it, I doubt that was what happened.  I have renamed the file to clear up any confusion.

#132 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

the newest demo got a great review from a member here.  I secured permission to copy the (heavily edited) private message discussion into this thread.  I figure it could help lead to more discussion and assist other players.

This is a really good demo! I was sad when it ended.

PROS:
- The graphics add SO much to the quest. They really help enhance the mood.
- The different enemy graphics feel so original and fresh. Thumbs up!
- The gameplay is refreshing though difficult. You feel rewarded the farther you go by the new enemies and graphics.
- The music really fits the game well!
- The difficulty is perfect.
- You feel like a real adventurer the farther you go, taking real risks, making real decision, and discovering new areas.
- Even though the quest is linear, you make the player feel like he or she is really exploring. This is VERY hard to do and is a great skill.
CONS:
- Having to do the same areas over and over is really annoying sometimes.
- I never figured out what some of the items even did.
- How where you supposed to know the solution to the maze path?
- The music is good, but it does get annoying. This can't really be helped though.
Pros are way greater than cons. Good job!

thanks for the great review! the music is by peteandwally and I bet he'd be open to any comments/critiques you'd offer. the maze path... there were only a few options, so it is meant to be kind of an unknown and a challenge that isn't too hard. the items don't all get used, yet, really. which ones were hard to figure out? the herbal items, right? I tried to make them looks like a bag of pot, a joint and a roach, but I don't think people are likely to figure those items out. oh, well, really, it's a health item that probably won't be too necessary. there will be (more) shortcuts in later versions. I think there's one in the current demo.

The potion I didn't know what it was so I used it twice with full health. :/ What is the shortcut? Also the items you can't use, such as the raft, are completely mysterious.

ah, but you do use the raft.  how did you even notice that you had it?  were you thinking of the ladder?  the shortcut, I think (if I'm remembering correctly), is on the second screen.  Gannon can theoretically be reached by [end of game and plot spoiler removed].

What is the raft anyway? That's what I mean: I didn't even know I had gotten the raft and then I go over some bushes in a weird object. I'll have to check that shortcut and beat Ganon.

well, I don't think you can actually beat Gannon, but you can see him and fight with him, assuming I did all of that correctly.  that part is hugely undertested because I have yet to beat the "300" (148 -- estimated -- times 2 equals 296) bees, but it is theoretically possible.

the raft will be one of several items earned -- and upgrades given -- in secret.  you'll be kind of clued in to these by the item pickup chime, but I'm also going to try to disguise those a bit, too.  I bet you didn't notice the blue ring you got when you first used the "raft."  the raft and docks are supposed to be the hero learning to use the alien technology.  I plan on having the sprocket keys open closed portal doors near the end of the game.  I'm thinking the player will need to find at least two of these in the spiraling map.  the last few screens are going to be very different from the rest of the game, but they will still use the line-drawn style.  hopefully peteandwally will complete the two other songs this thing will need.

#133 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

NJF's playing of the previous demo:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=m_2m21Yy8eg

Edited by trudatman, 03 October 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#134 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

I think we're getting kind of close to another demo.  I've been working on this some and thinking about it a lot.  I pretty much have the thing planned out, but I've left myself plenty of room to implement more item use, like maybe a magnet (or a hitchhiker's tool) and some sort of crushing spell.  how would I symbolize the destructive spell?  don't say "hammer."  anyway, I think DaviAwesome will be reviewing the last demo soonish and I hope it helps to gather the kind of interest that would lead to even more feedback and/or enthusiasm.

thanks for reading this.  please feel encouraged to respond in any way that you see fit.

#135 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

so... the last demo has received some great reviews (four stars four times and nothing else) on its project demo page. DaviAwesome gave it a fairly in-depth review. that review only covers the beginning of the demo (like the first quarter or so), so you can read it and still be surprised by the rest of the content. this quest is very much unique. it isn't fancy, but I think you will enjoy what it does. Zelda Classic 1.90 is very capable. this plays on 1.9s or 2.5s. it doesn't work with 2.1s. at this point of its production, the game will likely take about twenty to seventy minutes of your time, depending on your Zelda skills. try it out and give me some feedback, please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users