Video Game Absurdities.

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:14 PM

Some odd moments or concepts in video games.

1) My sister just began playing The Sims 2 again. She's playing, and has guests over. I notice that her character is sleeping in her bed at like, 4 PM, while her guests are lining up in the bathroom to take a shower, and are then falling asleep on her kitchen floor. (But nowhere else.) Nobody ever leaves.

2) In Ultima 7 Part II, the spell "Vibrate" makes NPCs drop their possessions onto the ground. Now cast it on a cow or a sheep or a deer. They drop legs of meat on the ground, and then calmly walk away.

#2 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:20 PM

1) Majora's Mask/Oracle of Ages: Hand in the Toilet. 'nuff said.
2) Roller Coaster Tycoon: A carousel in disrepair spins faster and faster until it flies off into space. No bull, true story.

#3 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:22 PM

Luigi's Final Smash. Groovy, man.

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:37 PM

The EarthBound camera man: There's nothing weirder than I guy falling out of the sky, taking your picture, then flying away.

Tails: Don't get me wrong, Tails is the best character in the Sonic series, but using his tails to fly just seems unnatural to me.

Kirby and his relationship with Dedede/Meta Knight: This one always puzzled me. In some games, Kirby trying to save the world from Dedede. In others, Dedede is his friend and assists him. And then there's Meta Knight. In some games (such as Squeak Squad), he's portrayed as the misunderstood hero who could have saved the day if Kirby hadn't been so stupid. In others (such as Meta Knight's Revenge), he's trying to conquer Dreamland no matter what the cost.

Pokemon/animals: Have you ever noticed that in Pokemon games, there is not one normal animal? Only Pokemon. Heck, most of the plants are Pokemon. It seems like if it's alive, they'll call it a Pokemon. And that brings up another thing. Why is it that Pokeballs capture Pokemon, but not humans?

#5 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:37 PM

Deadly Towers: WHY THE **** IS THIS GAME SO ****ING HARD SO ****ING EARLY IN THE GAME?!?!?!?!?!?

It helps to have an auto button controller

#6 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:38 PM

Castlevania II: Simon's quest. Some towns appear to be underground, evidenced by the fact that, on both ends of town, you have to go underground/ exit into a cave or dungeon when you leave/enter. ...So why do they still have a blue sky???

Gradius, but maybe also other Shmups: In all the Gradius titles except Gradius V for PS2, your default gun shoots bullets. Solid bullets, just like we have today. So how is it that you never run out?? I think the standard gun in the Raiden games might also be bullets. Just you know, hot reddish ones, which makes sense. Still, that must be one big ammo box.

Edited by Old-skool, 23 November 2008 - 11:40 PM.

#7 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Nov 23 2008, 10:37 PM) View Post

Pokemon/animals: Have you ever noticed that in Pokemon games, there is not one normal animal? Only Pokemon.

In the show, however, during the episode in the first season where the ship capsized with Ash and co. inside, there were regular non-pokemon fish outside a window. icon_rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Russ @ Nov 23 2008, 10:37 PM) View Post

Kirby and his relationship with Dedede/Meta Knight: This one always puzzled me. In some games, Kirby trying to save the world from Dedede. In others, Dedede is his friend and assists him. And then there's Meta Knight. In some games (such as Squeak Squad), he's portrayed as the misunderstood hero who could have saved the day if Kirby hadn't been so stupid. In others (such as Meta Knight's Revenge), he's trying to conquer Dreamland no matter what the cost.

Its part of evolving characters.

Dedede is always an enemy of Kirby, however, that doesn't mean he's a bad guy.

Kirby's innocence and naiveté is a threat to Dreamland, if you want to look at it in an extreme. There are so many hidden secrets filled with danger in Dreamland, and Kirby is stupid enough to release them all. Kirby, however, has power, which is why Dedede and Meta Knight run away sometimes, or have been hiding the whole time.

The Kirby series, as I see it, was always about how the character's perception of evil can be flawed, and you, the player, believe it up until the surprise plot twist.

Edited by Alestance, 24 November 2008 - 02:29 AM.

#8 Fabbrizio

Fabbrizio

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Nov 24 2008, 01:26 AM) View Post

In the show, however, during the episode in the first season where the ship capsized with Ash and co. inside, there were regular non-pokemon fish outside a window. icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes but as we have learned from the legend of zelda manga, it's the video game itself that should be trusted, not the story version.

#9 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:52 PM

Superman 64: the game exists.

Seriously. I've never been so apalled by a video game in my life. I'm trying to play it in an emulator (using a real N64 controller with an adapter) and I still can't get through all the rings in 2 minutes without missing three.

Riven (Myst 2): Water that is freestanding. I do not understand it. Then again, it is the sequel to Myst, so ... I guess it's allowed to be really weird.

#10 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:08 PM

I. The dying guard in OoT. "He isnt moving..." I liked how the old man in the background was standing there, watching me.
II. Majoras Mask- Anju and Kafei. WTH? Is Kafei a guy? if so how old? LINK is taller than him....odd?!

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

Kafei is a kid because he was and adult, but Majora turned him into a kid, That's why he's hiding from Anju.

#12 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

============Chrono Trigger============

The waterfall in Zeal: Where does it deposit at on the 12,000 BC world map?

Why do the elevators in Zeal teleport you up to go down? heck, why couldn't they just build some ordinary bridges between the islands?

Soda Pop in the censored SNES version of the game... we've had it for over a thousand years.

How can one live on a diet of jerky and poi?

What is Robo hiding under that leather flap? does he have reproductive organs?

...does Frog?

take a walk on Zenan bridge sometime. Count how many suns you see.

#13 Dustminion

Dustminion

Shouri da nasu!

• Members

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:10 PM

Prince of Persia II: The Shadow and the Flame (SNES): The original version of this game was on the PC, and it was a pretty good game for the most part (albeit very hard). However, a company called Titus decided to port it to the Super Nintendo. This port is hilariously buggy. You can go through walls, die, then your corpse hangs in midair, enemies can get you stuck in the wall, etc. It's just an atrocity of a port. It's not surprising, since Titus is the same company that made Superman 64.

#14 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

Final Fantasy IX: Quina is referred to as "he/she" (sometimes abbreviated to simply he for convenience's sake). I'm like, "Okay, it may not be obvious, but you can ask or something. Jesus, I can't rely on this guy to save the universe if I'm not even sure 'guy' accurately describes him/her!"

#15 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

Kirby Air Ride: what exactly do you collect in City Trial? Badges or stickers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users