CDi Zelda in ZC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:27 PM

So, I recently watched Let's Plays of Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon, Link: Faces of Evil, and Zelda's Adventure, and one thing stuck out to me throughout all three games: There are good ideas, there. A LOT of bad ones, shitty controls, and awful cutscenes, but there ARE good ideas. So, I'm wondering what the interest would be in ZC reboots of these games (I say reboots because there are too many flaws with basic concepts to do a straight-up demake). Shouldn't be impossible to do, as Z2-style gameplay in ZC is a thing, and since ZA is top-down, even fewer problems, there. So, what do people think? Not saying I'm gonna do it, just a thought I had.

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

I had considered adapting the plot of them to ZC. I mentioned it to CastChaos years ago; but I wasn't thinking exclusively of adapting them to ZC sideview.

ZC is designed for overhead, and I can envision converting WoG to a top-down quest. I made a few WoG items, once upon a time. Of  the lot, Rpe is the one that would prove the trickiest. I'm not sure that it makes sense, outside of a hookshot-effect--however, it might work as a niche item in SV segments.

FoE and WoG could easily be one quest with two chapters.

Start as one or the other character, play the game, second chapter is the other character. Plot pivot points change based on which one you selected at the start of the quest.

For ZA....bleah. The plot is terribe. It is only remembered because you play as Zelda.

This is something I'd still like to do, but I honestly have too many open projects as-is. If someone wanted to do this in 2.54, I'd give them full support, and lots of goodies.

Creating overhead graphics would not be easy, nor would emulating the colourful pastel landscapes. (This is why using 2.54 would be interesting, as you'd have scripted palette control..)

#3 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:46 PM

I mean, they COULD be adapted to top-down, sure. But I was more thinking a "what could have been" scenario. I mean, lots of quests use sideview, nowadays, so there's not a lot of reason NOT to do it that way. Kind of a "what if the games just didn't suck" kind of thing.

But, mind you, I actually like Z2, and I know that puts me in the minority.

#4 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:03 PM

I was planning to, at some point, make these, adapted to top-down - probably with a team, if there was enough interest. Just wanted to get to the end of my almost-complete quest first. My idea for them would probably leave the janky plot (or at least the dialogue) in place, as well as the place name, and then just make the gameplay good. Would make a decently fun quasi-joke quest.

That said, I'd be willing to see how it works in sideview (if I recall, Gégé was making the Z2 engine within the ZC engine with scripts or something), at the very least as a player.

I'd say, though, if one does FoE and WoG, they kind of need to make some kind of version of ZA for completeness. Sure, cut out 90% of the items, make the plot a lot better, but it could work as a base for an actual good project.

In any case, once I'm done my current quest, I'll probably start on one long project and leave myself open for shorter/smaller projects, so anything that might come from this would be something I'm willing to do.

• Binx likes this

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:26 PM

It would be interesting. Is there a good playthrough of them online that just goes through the game beginning to end, shows you everything and doesn't f*** around?

Because I can't get those games on any device I have.

Edited by Cukeman, 19 June 2018 - 06:27 PM.

#6 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:36 PM

You might have some luck with speedruns, as I don't know how much side content there is in the games.

I watched the playthrough by PB&Jeff, but they've only done FoE, and they're a 'typical' gaming channel, so there's commentary and deaths and redoing things and whatever, which is entertaining if you're watching for them, but not so much if you just want to see the game.

#7 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:52 PM

Game Grumps have done all 3, and only mildly frustratingly

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:57 PM

I was planning to, at some point, make these, adapted to top-down - probably with a team, if there was enough interest. Just wanted to get to the end of my almost-complete quest first. My idea for them would probably leave the janky plot (or at least the dialogue) in place, as well as the place name, and then just make the gameplay good. Would make a decently fun quasi-joke quest.

That said, I'd be willing to see how it works in sideview (if I recall, Gégé was making the Z2 engine within the ZC engine with scripts or something), at the very least as a player.

I'd say, though, if one does FoE and WoG, they kind of need to make some kind of version of ZA for completeness. Sure, cut out 90% of the items, make the plot a lot better, but it could work as a base for an actual good project.

In any case, once I'm done my current quest, I'll probably start on one long project and leave myself open for shorter/smaller projects, so anything that might come from this would be something I'm willing to do.

Send me a note, if-and-when you want to try this.

#9 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:43 PM

Creating overhead graphics would not be easy, nor would emulating the colourful pastel landscapes. (This is why using 2.54 would be interesting, as you'd have scripted palette control..)

Oh, there's no way in hell I'd, personally, try to emulate the graphics. I'd likely use Z2 style graphics, simple, clean, and effective, with custom graphics to recreate the landscape. In my mind, these are all games that would work best with a modified NES feel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users