DOS VMware

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:37 PM

It's always fun having one. But not when you're missing some helpful programs for it. What I'd really like is an ISO with the following commands/programs:

- dBase
- DOSSHELL
- MOVE
- HELP (MUST BE DOS 6.22!!!!)

I'll add more to this list, so check back... i really do need this if I am to learn up on old DOS stuff. Thanks again.

Edited by TheMasterSwordsman, 29 August 2007 - 04:44 PM.

#2 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

I have said ISO, but I can't get it to boot in Parallels or VMWare. I even tried VirtualBox.

Didn't work.

It looks like you need to get a bootdisk floppy, boot the virtual machine from that, and then load a setup executable from someplace.

#3 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:33 AM

Dosshell ... would technically be pirated software unless you got DOS 6.x with it legally. icon_smile.gif

What I do when I play around with DOS is make a hard disk image and install onto that. I use Bochs or Qemu myself, and both boot from such a HD ... I think VMware should too. You'll need a bootdisk to install.

#4 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:11 AM

Isn't DOS technically abandonware now... since they don't actaully make the DOS operating system anymore but base Windows around it? After all, since Windows 95, the Windows series has not been just a bunch of shells... it has been a fully fledged operating system... one of the most successful of all OSes...

#5 Koopa

Koopa

• Members

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:30 AM

I think copyrights expire after 25 years unless the holder decrees otherwise. In fact, if they abandon and withdraw an old program, it becomes illegal to use it at all in some cases. It's not fair or customer-friendly, but it's the law icon_shrug.gif

#6 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:36 AM

do you know any program that could play the dos game kings quest 5 it has to be installed strait on the computer but it dosnt work.i think its something to do about the sound card like as if it needs and old one

Edited by HeavyTitanium, 02 September 2007 - 09:37 AM.

#7 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:56 AM

VMware might be able to help... but I haven't had much luck with the VMware sound card features... I'll look into it.

#8 Koopa

Koopa

• Members

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:41 AM

An emulator like bochs or Qemu should be able to emulate anything ... but have you tried DOSBOX yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users