The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Please log in to reply
1641 replies to this topic

#1546 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

When the sword is charged up and blue, it becomes extra durable so you can use it significantly more often before it powers down. You are right though that if it had the same durability as when it wasn't blue than the frequency of it breaking would help counteract the benefit of it being a permanent 60 damage 1H weapon/make the weapon situational.

I see, I wasn't aware of that. I still don't think "overpowered" is a criticism that makes sense in this context though. For one, there are more powerful weapons in the game (at least I'm pretty sure there is, though correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a week or two since I played last), and since it does eventually need to be recharged still, that gives players a reason to use their other weapons - even when the sword is fully charged - because why would you use it to knock down trees or bat around some moblins when you could use one of the many lower tier weapons you've got?

And given BotW's overall structure I don't think it will make that much of a difference. It will look cool being all glowy though!

Edited by Migokalle, 02 May 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#1547 Item

Item

Senior

• Banned

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:29 AM

*dramatic music in the background*

#1548 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

There are some Royal tier weapons I've seen in Hyrule Castle that have over 90 ATK. There was a Broadsword, and a Shield that had something crazy like 87, but that's still 3 weaker than the Hylian Shield.

#1549 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

There are some Royal tier weapons I've seen in Hyrule Castle that have over 90 ATK. There was a Broadsword, and a Shield that had something crazy like 87, but that's still 3 weaker than the Hylian Shield.

Yeah, I thought so. Those weapons tend not to break right away either, so I actually find myself using these more often than the master sword itself. Though that's just personal preference, I really like the look of some of them. :P

*dramatic music in the background*

There is absolutely nothing dramatic about this conversation. o.O

Edited by Migokalle, 02 May 2017 - 12:21 PM.

#1550 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

#1 - I would've rather had the Master Sword not "break" instead of a damage buff. I guess the buff would be nice since it is pretty weak usually. Oh and yay, another equipment-less trial. Who is ready for one shots and excessive healing?

#2 - Hero's Path - Good if you're bad at keeping track of where you've been I guess. Doesn't seem like a game changer to me.

#3 - Hard Mode - Enemies now with 3x the durability of Normal mode! You're gonna need even more Weapons to beat them now! Oh joy.... who is ready for some excessive backtracking and additional bomb usage? Or just avoiding fights altogether?

#4 - Travel Medallion, aka Farore's Wind - Neat I guess, but with 120 Shrines and 12? Towers as Warp points, isn't it a little late for this? In a New Game it'll be incredibly useful, but on a finished file? Would've been great for the base game.

#5 - More Armor - Don't get me wrong, they're neat but they'll likely not be used much since Weather and Climbing outfits take so much priority in this game. It's hard for me to find an area where you don't need them and can just go about in whichever outfit.

#6 - Korok Mask - I was wondering why the base game lacked this just a few days ago. Good addition, just a tad late to the party.

Re: Master Sword strength - It's usually one of the weaker weapons in my inventory. Ice and Electric elemental weapons of the same strength are much better than it due to their elemental effects. Spears are the most OP weapon type, you can stunlock any Bokoblin or Lizalfos with it provided your Weapon doesn't break and they don't block on the first hit. The basic Royal Weapons (not the set exclusively in Hyrule Castle, those are Royal Guard's iirc) also are stronger than the Master Sword on average. Add in Lynel Weapons which come with some ridiculous strengths, some of the later Guardian weapons (From the Test of Strength trials) and any Heavy weapon's ability to stunlock when you use its charge move, the Master Sword in this game is pretty weak in comparison. Spear > Heavy > Sword > Club I'd say.

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder likes this

#1551 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

Some of these features feels like they've been held back in order to incentivize further purchases. Hard to say if that is actually the case of course, but given how the "new map feature" will work retroactively with old saves it does sound like was - then again, I don't know anything about the behind the scenes working of these mechanics, it's just speculation on my part.

I'll be getting it for the story content that will come with DLC 2, though I think they could have been a little more creative with the extras here. New costumes are nice and all, but I had hoped both of these DLCs would be more substantial than this first one.

Edited by Migokalle, 02 May 2017 - 01:33 PM.

• Naru likes this

#1552 Item

Item

Senior

• Banned

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:48 PM

There is absolutely nothing dramatic about this conversation. o.O

There is always a dramatic song in everywhere you go or see.

#1553 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:31 AM

The thing with the Master Sword though is that it is a 1H'd weapon, I can't think of any 1H'd weapons off the top of my head that exceed that 60 damage value (Guardian Sword ++ is only 40). I agree that it would've been best for the sword to stop breaking down instead of always being in its blue, extra durable, extra damaging charged state whenever it isn't broken.

At 30 damage it is serviceable when you are running low on other weapons, and there is a healthy diversity of better 1H'd weapons to use. At 60 damage there really aren't any better weapons unless you switch to slow/clunky 2H'd weapons and forgo a shield. It essentially becomes the defacto "best" 1H'd weapon whenever it is available for use.

And I WOULD use the Master Sword for cutting trees and stuff, because it will always become re-useable over time where as the other items I would have to source a replacement when they break.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 03 May 2017 - 12:37 AM.

#1554 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:21 AM

The thing with the Master Sword though is that it is a 1H'd weapon, I can't think of any 1H'd weapons off the top of my head that exceed that 60 damage value (Guardian Sword ++ is only 40). I agree that it would've been best for the sword to stop breaking down instead of always being in its blue, extra durable, extra damaging charged state whenever it isn't broken.

At 30 damage it is serviceable when you are running low on other weapons, and there is a healthy diversity of better 1H'd weapons to use. At 60 damage there really aren't any better weapons unless you switch to slow/clunky 2H'd weapons and forgo a shield. It essentially becomes the defacto "best" 1H'd weapon whenever it is available for use.

And I WOULD use the Master Sword for cutting trees and stuff, because it will always become re-useable over time where as the other items I would have to source a replacement when they break.

Oh, there are several one handed weapons that are stronger than the Master Sword. I just checked, most of my inventory is filled with one handed weapons that are more powerful, even at its powered up stage. So saying that there aren't any better one handed weapons simply isn't true, there's plenty.

As for using it to cut down trees, I mean... if you want, be my guest, my point was that there is absolutely no need to: the game is filled to the brim with weapons, both weak and powerful. Even the weakest weapos can cut down a tree in two cuts and if you "run out" that is either because you haven't collected enough Korok seeds to expand your inventory, you haven't fought enemies in a while, or you do like me and keep your inventory full of 70+ one handed golden royal swords (I really like them, okay? :P).

Either way, it's up to you what you use it for, but you wanting to use the master sword on trees is not really a good argument as to its supposed overpowered... ness. Especially the part about sourcing weapons, you need to do that regardless, I mean, the game is built around the concept. If you're only working with the Master Sword you're in for a rude awakening when that does eventually run out of energy.

#1555 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:36 AM

Just beat the Yiga Clan Leader.

Spoiler

Spoiler

On the Yiga Clan:

Spoiler

Here's a question for you all: What order did you do that main dungeons in?
Spoiler

Zelda II. Much love. Many happys.

Spoiler

Edited by Maikeru D. Shinigami, 03 May 2017 - 03:37 AM.

#1556 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:50 AM

Oh, there are several one handed weapons that are stronger than the Master Sword. I just checked, most of my inventory is filled with one handed weapons that are more powerful, even at its powered up stage. So saying that there aren't any better one handed weapons simply isn't true, there's plenty.

As for using it to cut down trees, I mean... if you want, be my guest, my point was that there is absolutely no need to: the game is filled to the brim with weapons, both weak and powerful. Even the weakest weapos can cut down a tree in two cuts and if you "run out" that is either because you haven't collected enough Korok seeds to expand your inventory, you haven't fought enemies in a while, or you do like me and keep your inventory full of 70+ one handed golden royal swords (I really like them, okay? :P).

Either way, it's up to you what you use it for, but you wanting to use the master sword on trees is not really a good argument as to its supposed overpowered... ness. Especially the part about sourcing weapons, you need to do that regardless, I mean, the game is built around the concept. If you're only working with the Master Sword you're in for a rude awakening when that does eventually run out of energy.

Can you please link me to anywhere that mentions these 1H'd weapons that deal damage in excess of 60? The closest I can find is the Savage Lynel Sword which deals 58. There is a Royal Guard's Claymore that deals 72 damage but that is 2H'd. I can't find anywhere mentioning 1H'd weapons stronger than a charged up blue Master Sword.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 03 May 2017 - 04:52 AM.

#1557 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:33 AM

Can you please link me to anywhere that mentions these 1H'd weapons that deal damage in excess of 60? The closest I can find is the Savage Lynel Sword which deals 58. There is a Royal Guard's Claymore that deals 72 damage but that is 2H'd. I can't find anywhere mentioning 1H'd weapons stronger than a charged up blue Master Sword.

You're right, I spoke too soon, the one-handed swords in my own inventory are not 70, they're 50 and below. I need glasses. Either way, for reference: https://rankedboost....or-items/#sword

As you can see, I was wrong about one handed weapons going up to 70, as the strongest one according to this list is 58, almost as powerful as the powered up master sword. Savage Lynel Sword listed at 58, like you said. Though it's important to keep in mind that while the master sword is great and all, other weapons can have added bonuses, such as a higher durability, or a higher attack power, meaning they could effectively be higher than 60.

In that sense you could theoretically have a Lynel blade that is stronger than the master sword, even though the number listed on the item won't reflect that. Not that I think a 58 level weapon is any less usable than a 60 level one, but then again I actually prefer using the royal gear, or even a soldier's sword. For their looks mostly. Obviously I don't run up to Lynels with that gear but then I just have an excuse to bring out the master sword. :P

So despite being wrong about the numbers, I stand by my point: there are stronger weapons in the game, and even then there are also weapons that almost reach that level without added bonuses. I don't think 2 more levels makes that much of a difference.

Edit: just to clarify how much I need glasses: my inventory is currently filled with Savage Lynel Crushers and ancient battle axes. Aka not swords and not one handed weapons over 70...

Edited by Migokalle, 03 May 2017 - 10:20 AM.

• Naru likes this

#1558 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

In case anyone's interested, I once got a Savage Lynel Sword (with a big attack power bonus) with 100 damage. Thought that was pretty awesome. So no, the powered-up Master Sword is not quite the strongest 1H weapon in the game.

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder likes this

#1559 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:55 AM

Yeah the tiny font used on the first heart for restorative items that heal more than 5 hearts and the tiny number on weapons, shields and bows is kinda annoying. @MoscowModder: True, I forgot weapons/shields can have random buffs on them.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 03 May 2017 - 08:04 AM.

#1560 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:38 AM

The thing about the Master Sword is that it's reliable and it's very sturdy when powered up. It can kill about 5 guardians, including chopping their legs off, before it breaks, IIRC. Plus, weapons with bonuses are hard to come by. Contrast with the Master Sword, which is the most powerful 1 handed weapon without bonuses and available every 10 minutes without going out of your way to find a weapon with bonuses. It also fits in with OoT quite nicely: The Master Sword is the strongest 1 handed weapon you can get in that game, but there are two handed weapons stronger than it (Biggoron's Sword).

• Neppy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users