• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

I need to know this for many reasons:

1. Possibility of moving the tiles I have made so far in there, to create a tileset.
2. To know how to set up a 256 color palette.
3. To know the limitations of this setting for the tiles.
4. To know why some people seem to fear using this ability to use a wider array of colors on a single sprite or tile.
5. Possibility of making a quick small quest to show off said WIP tileset.

Edited by Koh, 03 February 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

I can answer number 4. Palettes and palette flashing is something that's used by many of Zelda Classic's functions. With only one palette this becomes impossible. As a result enemies can't flash when they take damage (you can check the enemies flicker rule, but that looks bad IMO), you can't have multiple colors of trees without having to recolor your tiles, and if you have 8-bit Link tiles then good luck getting rings to work properly. In addition, when shifting new tiles to 8-bit mode their transparency gets screwed up, some colors in 8-bit palettes change (like CSet 6 for example), the bottom row of colors appears to be inaccessible altogether, and from my past experiences sometimes 8-bit tiles don't show up the same ingame as they do in the tile editor. 8-bit color is in my opinion a very buggy and poorly planned out feature that should only be used if there's no other option.

Edit: Actually I guess that overflowed into 3. Also for 2 you just press b while selecting the tiles. BEWARE, however, as I don't know of an easy way to undo 8-bit color. I know you can overlay (o) an 8-bit tile over a blank one to somewhat revert it, but that's about it save for scrapping the whole thing.

Edited by Moosh, 03 February 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#3 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Feb 3 2013, 03:57 PM) View Post
BEWARE, however, as I don't know of an easy way to undo 8-bit color.

Ctrl+B

#4 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

I can answer number 4. Palettes and palette flashing is something that's used by many of Zelda Classic's functions. With only one palette this becomes impossible. As a result enemies can't flash when they take damage (you can check the enemies flicker rule, but that looks bad IMO), you can't have multiple colors of trees without having to recolor your tiles, and if you have 8-bit Link tiles then good luck getting rings to work properly. In addition, when shifting new tiles to 8-bit mode their transparency gets screwed up, some colors in 8-bit palettes change (like CSet 6 for example), the bottom row of colors appears to be inaccessible altogether, and from my past experiences sometimes 8-bit tiles don't show up the same ingame as they do in the tile editor. 8-bit color is in my opinion a very buggy and poorly planned out feature that should only be used if there's no other option.

Edit: Actually I guess that overflowed into 3. Also for 2 you just press b while selecting the tiles. BEWARE, however, as I don't know of an easy way to undo 8-bit color. I know you can overlay (o) an 8-bit tile over a blank one to somewhat revert it, but that's about it save for scrapping the whole thing.

Thanks for the explanation, but unfortunately that was a major turnoff XD. I'll probably just stick to drawing the tiles in MS Paint, and making examples of the tiles in GM like I've been doing =O.

#5 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Shouldn't you at least TRY first before giving up? icon_unsettled.gif

#6 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Feb 3 2013, 04:36 PM) View Post

i agree...

#7 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Feb 3 2013, 04:36 PM) View Post

QUOTE(coolgamer012345 @ Feb 3 2013, 04:50 PM) View Post

i agree...

The working conditions don't sound like my cup of tea, so therefore no. But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop drawing the tiles~ It just means it's the same as it was before, and if you want them in a ZC tileset, you have to recolor them yourself. What's an extra layer when you get free tiles~

Edited by Koh, 03 February 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#8 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

there is also an option that lets you have 2 Csets on hte same combo,you set the second Cset and use the square to the right of the one that sets the solidity,but i never have used it

#9 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(Saffith @ Feb 3 2013, 04:06 PM) View Post

Ctrl+B

And I believe hitting "Shift+B" will convert the tiles to 8-bit color, but keep the transparent parts transparent by instead picking color 0, from c-set 1/0 whichever is first as opposed to just keeping it the first color in the c-set it was using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users