Photo

Screenshot of the Week 60

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Which pic? (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Which pic?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Vincent

Vincent

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:31 PM

I'm voting for Ian for his great looking character portraits and his neat map (icon_razz.gif).

#17 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:00 PM

Wow, I'm actually pulling a 2nd place this wekk. Best I've EVER done. icon_smile.gif

PolygonX8: What can I say? It's mine.

Nick: Hmm... the lava croners. I asusme its the parts sinking into the lava. They look great as they are, but you might want to make it go from, bright to dark (From the bottom, where the walls touch the lava). Sort of like being bright at the bottom, gettign darker as it goes up. The screen overall isn't too bad, but all that lava, well, you know. icon_razz.gif

IaN: Very nie shot here. The boxes, etc. at the top are well made, the portraits are escellent, and... why is Link worryign about squirrels?! Damnit... he needs to be worrying about becoming the richest man in Hyrule. icon_smile.gif

Jaivaz: Hmm... not bad. Has some great detial, but the water bothers me. icon_neutral.gif Otherwise, pretty good.

LTM: I like this shot, very nice. Shadow from the mountain,a bridge with clouds underneath, action, etc. But what's wrong? Well, the trees. I have to agree with plith on that. Otheriwse the shot is excellent, and the custom rocks are nice.
(BTW, I made my own custom rocks, whihc look okay. If you can get on AIM sometime, I'll show you. icon_smile.gif )

codelinker: Awesome. This really does look like a mine cave. There are tracks, planks on the cieling, and the colors are perfect IMO. Very nice shot, code, definetely. BTW, are you going to put mine carts for Link to ride in? If so, a whole bunch f screens with warp tics having Link go to different screens looking like he is moving in the cart might work (Something I thought of not too long ago, as I might consider doing LN2). I can just say I'll be doing it, and you should too. icon_wink.gif

BH4: Interesting, BH4. icon_smile.gif Are you created a non-Zelda quest? This shot, it looks like it could become a great quest if done right. Heck, I'd make a weird Asteroids type quest with tiles and stuff liek that! A first person view, a ship in the distance, stars, and even nice shading in the uh... cockpit. icon_razz.gif

I don't vote when I enter, so my vote is teh mystery! icon_razz.gif

#18 Breadguy

Breadguy

Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:14 AM

Oh, Poly. Yeah.. Actually credit to Snort. He gave me the idea, of using a raft. But I would have to make some tiles for it. I will defenantly think about it. If you have any ideas, tell me about them icon_wink.gif

Sorry, for being off topic.. icon_frown.gif

#19 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:25 AM

Hmm... Not much stands out this week. I'm not going to get overly ecstatic about anything. There are some shots that are good, but nothing that's a very good showcase.

Poly:

You already know that I think your quest is shweet, but I can't in good conscious vote for your shots when I can't really see what's going on. icon_shrug.gif I know it's a bug, and it's not your fault, but you should try to get somebody else to help you take the shot if it's that much of a problem.

Nick:

It's an okay shot. Perhaps too many skulls. What monster collects them all and lays them out neatly like that? icon_wink.gif The lava uses too much of the same tile, so maybe some crusts on the top or something, to make it less repetitive.

Can't really comment on the lava border without seeing the animation... :\

Ian:

After looking at the map and the grass... I feel this incredible urge to... vote for Ian... @_@ I don't know why... but I must keep my wits about me...

Good stuff about this shot. I already said a lot at ZCU's EOTW. Most notably the frames and item icons. And of course your well-known portraits... But this screen looks too much like a mock-up to vote for. :\

Jaivaz:

It's great that you're set on creating customized tiles, but it appears you're taking out far more than you're putting back in. Stick with Pure's mini-waves for the water. The shoreline's shape is good, but don't rely on neat shading; it looks too fake. Many seem to make that mistake.

Pure's bushes look fine without multiple colors, and the trees on the right edge of the sceen don't look... well... they don't look like trees. icon_confused.gif Hmm... Did you edit the corners of the rock tiles? If so, it looks very good, but you need to edit the rest of the rock the same way or else it'll look out of place.

I definitely like your dirt, wherever it came from.

LTM:

You've made some definite improvements to this screen... but then some other changes I don't like as much. The trees definitely look better. Some people still have issues with them, but if cigar-shaped is what you want... well... there you go.

Your shadowing definitely makes the shapes of the mountains look right. However, I actually liked the pattern you had before you changed them... basically I'm talking about the black lines. Now they look too straight..... too perfect. Try for some speckling and jagged edges. A little goes a long way.

Having the clouds under the bridge is a little weird... it really depends on where this location is. It must be really high up. How about some clouds on top of this area, as well as below?

Codelinker:

This one gets my vote. I may be a bit biased, because I've seen these exact same tiles used in different screens, and I know this dungeon is going to look very cool. icon_thumbsup.gif This particular screen is a bit jumbled, but I still think it looks best. Those wooden beams rock j00, but you'll have to see the whole dungeon to find out. The tracks are excellent.

I've already given my advice on this elsewhere, so moving on...

BH4:

My initial reaction was "WTF..?! icon_eek.gif" ...but after looking into your topics I got an idea of what this shot was coming from before commenting. icon_wink.gif Indeed, it's a very interesting cut scene. I sense there must be a lot of action going on here, though, and yet we can't see it in a simple screenshot. So it isn't as vibrant as it might be.

I vote Codelinker, but I wish the entries were more competitive this week. icon_shrug.gif

Edited by Radien, 15 July 2004 - 02:28 AM.

#20 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:50 AM

Wow. I don't think there's any need to comment the other shots since coderlinker's shot is definitely the most beautiful one of them all. Best layout, best tiles, best colors... But it isn't winning? Oh well, whatever. icon_eyebrow.gif

#21 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE(link3505 @ Jul 14 2004, 11:30 PM)
I just noticed something...

Ian, your shield looks suspiciously like my Magic Shield from ST. I mean, it's VERY similar...

Yeah...well... whenever I need to fill up the item spots, I go through my Tiel Contest folder, to see if there's anything there that I can use. Coincedentally, I loved your shield, and I ended up using that. Hope that's not a problem, but it's really just there for some extra eye candy. (And it's not like that's a real quest or anything like the shot I wanted to enter <_< )

Anyways, this was a filler shot cause I had nothing to do. Didn't really expect to get 4 votes icon_razz.gif Thanks, though.

#22 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:47 AM

well, I have no problem with you uaing it for a screenshot, just as long as you don't release it with a quest or anything

also, please ask next time. it's kinda unsetteling when somone uses your tiles when you didn't even know you gave them out

#23 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:51 AM

Come to think of it...... What would you do with a shield on the B button, anyway...?

#24 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 15 July 2004 - 11:50 AM

I voted for PolygonX8 screen shot. Mainly because I really like the way he has used the Metroid tiles in ZC.

Now on Nick's shot. I think the boards are supposed to have corners because its on the wall. It shouldn't have a rounded corners, because the rest of the wall doesn't have a rounded corners.

However, if that board is on the ground with the lava, I think he should get rid of it completely. And replace it with small rocks breaking up from the wall on out.

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

#25 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jul 15 2004, 01:21 PM)
Come to think of it...... What would you do with a shield on the B button, anyway...?

You'd flick it at enemies and let it bouce back to you. What else? icon_rolleyes.gif icon_razz.gif Yeah, sorry about that Link3505, I'm gonna use my own tiles for the most part now anyways.

#26 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:25 PM

I know it's a bug, and it's not your fault, but you should try to get somebody else to help you take the shot if it's that much of a problem.

It's not a bug, as in "glitch". icon_razz.gif I'm referring to the shell creature in frotn of Samus. It's called a Ripper. And it looks like some sort of bug, so I thought I'd make some odd Scrooge-like caption. icon_smile.gif

#27 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 15 July 2004 - 11:54 PM

Oh... well, that distortion just looks kinda funny in screenshot, I guess. Are you using some sort of obscuring filter? It almost looks like some sort of visor...

#28 Alucard

Alucard

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:25 AM

My thoughts of the screenshots for this week:

Polygon: Very good, almost as good as the one I voted for. 2nd Place, I nearly voted for this.

Nick: It needs a bit more activity, and not be very plain. It would also be nice to see a layer of smoke in the Lava Cavern.

Ian: very good artwork, and an honorable mention.

Jaivaz: Okay, but not the best of this week.

LTM: I voted for this, because of how colorful this screen is alone, and the most unique.

codelinker: Not as good as LTM and Poly's screenshots, it is good, and I can't wait for ML.

BH4: The only non-Zelda screenshot, and it's pretty good, despite it not being as good as code's, LTM's and Poly's screenshots. Another honorable mention.

I voted for LTM's shot.

#29 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:49 AM

I vote for Poly. His shot rocks.

Nick: The edges of the lava are slightly blocky. Maybe just making some of the cracks between the rocks transparent and then pasting the tile over the lava tile...I dunno. I'm not going to rate this shot, as it was only here to get comments on the lava edges.

Ian: Nifty looking. I don't get why you have a bunch of Rupees lying around, though.

Jaivaz: Nice shot. The trees look a little bit wonky, though. The cliffs look good.

LTM: The second best. I like those tiles a lot. The only problem is that the waterfall doesn't seem to fit. Everything else has a black outline, and the waterfall kind of jumped out at me.

codelinker: Too much detail. @_@ I mean, it looks great, but it's sort of hard to see what is going on at first glance.

BH4: Some sweet-looking tiles, but...I don't know what to say about this one, really. It's good.

#30 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:32 PM

Radien: That weird little puffy stuff? that's heat. The room is ultra-heated, you'll notice that Metroid games havge those rooms a lot in Norfair.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users