Photo

Screenshot of the Week 57

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

Poll: Which pic? (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Which pic?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 11 June 2004 - 08:58 AM

I don\'t know about the others, but the problem I see is that you\'ve hardly released anything for your tileset. Throw us a bone, man. That\'s just one room. I know one room means a very large portion of a dungeon template, but if you\'re calling it a whole dungeon tileset, there\'s gotta be more than that.

I\'m sorry to say, but I wouldn\'t feel very insulted over that.

This is like me saying \"no one would have voted for my screenshot compared to Prince\'s because it doesn\'t use a custom tileset, so my quest sucks and should be trashed immediately\".

This is just an example, as I didn\'t even enter this week, but just think about the context of what you said.

I liked your shot and I have no doubt the tiles are good and will be good for the public, however, PrinceMSC had a better presentable screen to me, so I voted for him. If you feel insulted because of personal opinions of encouragement (you\'ve gotten suggestions on improvement in this entire thread, yet you ignored them to make this post), then you really are a pessimistic individual (which I\'ve known you to not be on the forums).

I\'ve gotten my fair share of 0 votes before. Many people have gotten their share of 0 votes. However, SoTW isn\'t 100% about the winning or being popular. SoTW exposes new quests, new tiles, new ideas, and suggestions for improvement. I would not let 0 votes get you down. The poll isn\'t over yet, anyway.

No. You should know by now that I\'m not very good at expressing my intentions in my posts. I tend to skip straight past the obvious and into the \"assumed\" or \"implied\" portion of the statement. I also think outside the box constantly, and when forced to actually think, I jump right back into the box, thinking that I\'m actually thinking outside of it.

I posted this shot for precisely what plith just did. Had I received the proper input I had been looking for, I simply wouldn\'t have posted what I had, which you\'re referring to. It\'s just that simple. I got what I\'m looking for. Don\'t bother replying to this, unless it\'s something useful to the shot. .. Seriously.

#32 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 11 June 2004 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(BH4 @ Jun 11 2004, 09:58 AM)
I posted this shot for precisely what plith just did.  Had I received the proper input I had been looking for, I simply wouldn\'t have posted what I had, which you\'re referring to.  It\'s just that simple.  I got what I\'m looking for.  Don\'t bother replying to this, unless it\'s something useful to the shot.  .. Seriously.

Sorry.

I've been up all night, so the idea behind that post did not sink in until now. Please excuse my ignorant optimism that wasn't what you was looking for (well... it was more of a preaching... which wasn't something I should have done, none the less, because I am stupid when I get no sleep).

As for the actual shot, the only thing I find a little odd is the floor compared to the other objects in the room. The other objects seem to have dark outlines to them, where as the floor is mostly a blur. The shadow effect going on seems to help the transition between the objects and the floor a little, but something still isn't sitting right with me when moving my eyes back and forth between the two.

#33 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE(Nick @ Jun 11 2004, 10:35 AM)
I posted this shot for precisely what plith just did. Had I received the proper input I had been looking for, I simply wouldnt have posted what I had, which youre referring to. Its just that simple. I got what I\'m looking for. Dont bother replying to this, unless its something useful to the shot. .. Seriously.
Sorry.

I\'ve been up all night, so the idea behind that post did not sink in until now. Please excuse my ignorant optimism that wasn\'t what you was looking for (well... it was more of a preaching... which wasn\'t something I should have done, none the less, because I am stupid when I get no sleep).

As for the actual shot, the only thing I find a little odd is the floor compared to the other objects in the room. The other objects seem to have dark outlines to them, where as the floor is mostly a blur. The shadow effect going on seems to help the transition between the objects and the floor a little, but something still isn\'t sitting right with me when moving my eyes back and forth between the two.

Nick... Don\'t worry yourself so much about me, or my feelings. You should know me better by now. No matter how much of this I take, I\'ll never die. Never. It\'s just the way I work. .. And everyone says stuff they don\'t really mean. I too am quite stupid when I get no sleep, or food. You should have seen my in chat last night. icon_rolleyes.gif Fact of life. People get too serious about it. They only need to know certain things, as I explained to you, and then people shouldn\'t worry about it so much. Life. .. Life. .. It\'s.. Life! (No, I\'m not angry. I just made another of those speeches at AGN, and my engine is still revving. icon_razz.gif icon_lol.gif )

.. But I still have to follow plith & Prince\'s (Via AIM last night) criticisms / critique\'s of the shot. Yes, there IS more, which I suppose I\'ll have to show you what this set is about. Here is a copy of the Fire Temple screenshots that I\'m working on. Do what you will with the tiles, as they\'ll probably not stay this way much longer, judging from the actual critiques that I have found useful. .. And you\'ll also see the Floor Borders I\'ve made for it.

.. So remember, just because what you see is what you can see, it doesn\'t mean it\'s what you can get. That old WYSIWYG thing should be shot in the head. There are exceptions. There are almost always exceptions, even if you can\'t see them. .. Just look under your couch, or rocks or something. icon_shrug.gif

#34 HydraPheetz

HydraPheetz

pwhoar

• Members

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:46 PM

OMFG Prince's shot 0wnz. Maybe he should get a job working at Nintendo. icon_lol.gif

#35 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 June 2004 - 02:55 PM

Voting is over, right?

I have my submission for next week ready... I'm itching to show something that will garner plenty more than 1 vote. icon_biggrin.gif

#36 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 12 June 2004 - 05:42 PM

Well, go ahead and send it to Praethus, Radien. icon_razz.gif I have also submitted something. So, good luck to you this week. icon_smile.gif

#37 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 June 2004 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE(PolygonX8 @ Jun 12 2004, 02:42 PM)
Well, go ahead and send it to Praethus, Radien. icon_razz.gif I have also submitted something. So, good luck to you this week. icon_smile.gif

Yeah, point, I could send it at any time. But I might make a few last finishing touches, and I don't want to be resubmitting it because I jumped the gun and sent it in early.

...You know, it'd be a lot easier to create action shots if I had someone else to play the game while I press the F12 button... icon_razz.gif (or vice-versa)

#38 Aegis Runestone

Aegis Runestone

Cecil Harvey - Paladin

• Members

Posted 13 June 2004 - 09:57 AM

I'm voting for Prince. The tiles are excellent and I LOVE Wind Waker. ^_^

#39 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 13 June 2004 - 06:44 PM

Prince wins.

#40 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 13 June 2004 - 07:29 PM

despite the fact that the voting is over, and Prince beat everyone by a landslide, I voted for BH4's. his is a fresh shot; nice, new eye candy. as cool as PrinceMSC's tiles are (and how much I want them), I've seen way too much of them

Valoo looks awsome, though, but he looks like he has breasts icon_eek.gif

#41 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 13 June 2004 - 07:40 PM

OMG! A Vote! .. Thanks link3505! icon_kawaii.gif I can finally ..... *trails off*

.. And of course Valoo has teh b00bz. He's a lazy dragon. icon_rolleyes.gif *Mumbles under breath* ... (Edit.) .. But of course, that's how he appears in Z9, which validates the appearance of such blasphemous entities in Prince's artwork. (I am, of course, exaggerating.)

#42 Breadguy

Breadguy

Warrior

• Members

Posted 13 June 2004 - 11:23 PM

BH4: The walls are ok. It is a ok screen.

Radien: The mountain setup is great. I like how it goes up. Oh, the clouds are nice too.

Herolink: I really don't like the shot. It is ceative. But, I just don't like the old tilesets.

Darkhogg: Uhh.. Just a title screen. Nothing really major. Your going to have to do better than that, to win. Sorry, try next time.

LinkTheMaster: The screen looks ok. Nothing real great. I like the spider webs though.

PrinceMSC: I absolutly love the screen. The water is real looking. The mountains are awesome! The Dragon is nice. The whole screen is awesome! Well, we still have two more screens to go. Lets see what happens.

StarFox: Hmm.. I like the screen. The walls are a must have. The color is cool looking. I like the floor tiles. icon_thumbsup.gif The torches and banners look pretty neat.

upbeatpenguin Uhh.. Just a Ice level. Nothing real amazing here. Oh, and try taking the snapshot in ZC. It would look alot better. You might have forgotten. But, good screen overal.

Votes: PrinceMSC

#43 Deepfreeze

Deepfreeze

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:47 PM

BH4: I've been looking at the shot and thinking, and I realize that if the messages were lowered, like the smaller banners to the far left and right are, they would look much nicer. My point being that they should be squashed, to avoid extending over the bottom of the wall, so it doesn't look as if they're hung too low. Also, now that I have the time and space in the post: Are the Gibdos from Lufia?

However, what do you think is wrong with the background? I'm afraid "background" is a bit vague. Do you simply mean the sky? If so, funny, I didn't think simple puffy white clouds on blue sky could possibly clash...

Alright, again, I've been looking at the shot, and it occurred to me that the clouds aren't white. I like the background color with the color of the clouds, and I encourage you not to turn the clouds white, to avoid redundancy with the clouds in other sets. Instead, I would recommend, since you are not showing the bottom of the clouds, to change it to a very light blue. As in, lighter than what you have. Unfortunately, this might also require you to change the sky color.
Also, the 3D BS mountains are what I was mainly meant by clashing with the TS, the clouds aren't 3D at all...
But don't change the way the clouds look now, that would most likely require a complete overhaul, and that's not the path you want to take, if my own experiences serve as any example. It also looks like enough people like the clouds well enough, so don't bother yourself with my little ol' opinion.
Also, you mentioned that the clouds had a combo cycle. Did that combo cycle include color changing with the clouds?
And what in that shot could be considered the background except the sky and clouds?

I am going to make some tiles that show the mountains going further down into the humongous (sp?) hole. What is TS?

That's what I was thinking about, and TS is TileSet. icon_wink.gif

Oh, and sorry about posting here, I do realize it's kind of old, but I was gone for a week and I felt I had to get back to these people. icon_confused.gif

#44 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE(Deepfreeze @ Jun 23 2004, 06:47 PM)
Alright, again, I've been looking at the shot, and it occurred to me that the clouds aren't white. I like the background color with the color of the clouds, and I encourage you not to turn the clouds white, to avoid redundancy with the clouds in other sets. Instead, I would recommend, since you are not showing the bottom of the clouds, to change it to a very light blue.  As in, lighter than what you have.  Unfortunately, this might also require you to change the sky color.

Unfortunately, that can't be done with the palette/Cset used. What you see is the lightest blue available. :\ The BS Cset used in those clouds is the one used for the window frames, so it's hard to edit more than I did (and now that I'm using layers, I've been able to revert it back to the original BS palette for various reasons).

Let me point out that those clouds were the first original tiles I ever created. Consequently, I didn't quite understand palettes at the time. A good-looking set of clouds could probably have been made using four colors or less, whereas I used more like 7 or 8. icon_rolleyes.gif And thus they would be very hard to edit again, since the red wand tool would be much slower to use.

Also, the 3D BS mountains are what I was mainly meant by clashing with the TS, the clouds aren't 3D at all...
But don't change the way the clouds look now, that would most likely require a complete overhaul, and that's not the path you want to take, if my own experiences serve as any example. It also looks like enough people like the clouds well enough, so don't bother yourself with my little ol' opinion.

Thanks for being so reasonable with your opinion. icon_smile.gif As it stands, many people may approve of the clouds, but at this point I doubt any of them will actually use them. Thus, since they only appear on seven screens in my quest (and many of those are quarter and 1/8th screens), it's not worth the time required to improve them. icon_shrug.gif

Also, you mentioned that the clouds had a combo cycle.  Did that combo cycle include color changing with the clouds?

Did I? If so it was a mistake. No combo-cycling here. I might've mentioned palette cycling at some point, as I was dealing with the concept back when I made these.

And what in that shot could be considered the background except the sky and clouds?

Anything behind Link. icon_smile.gif So, by one definition of the term, anything on layers 0 through 2 would be background while layers 3 through 6 are the foreground. It's just semantics, though... Anyway, I mostly just expected you'd say "the sky" or something like that.

Thanks for your comments. This is actually a pretty dated project for me, now, so from now on you won't see any more BS submissions to SOTW from me... heh.

P.S. & O.T. -

Chrono Trigger  should be  hereby officially the greatest game of all time!
...but gameFAQs says it's FFVII...

I hear ya, man, I hear ya... but then, this is GameFAQs we're talking about. icon_razz.gif

Edited by Radien, 24 June 2004 - 03:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users