Sorry, I misunderstood!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:34 AM

Tell about cases when you misunderstood something in a game, do it preferably when it was funny. As for me:

1. I thought Link was Zelda. My mother thought it until some months ago, too.
2. Didn't know if Zero was male or female, learned it via a faq about MMX6.
3. I thought Mario married Peach at the end of SMB and so they are husband and wife in SMB2 and SMB3.
4. I thought all Links are one Link in all Zelda games, so the little LoZ Link grew up and became the tall AoL Link. I was confused why he was little in ALttP again...
5. I thought Knuckles was girl in Sonic 3.
6. I thought Cloud's party was a "rescue team" in FFVII and they travelled the lands solely to solve problems (defeating the Gii, etc.).
7. I thought DeDeDe to be some kind of Santa Claus in Kirby's Adventure.
8. According to Sigma's speech near the end of MMX ("You betrayed me X") I thought X was killing humans along with Sigma once. (Funnily, I knew from the beginning that Zero spreads the virus. At least since I saw MMX3's ending.)

I simply can't remember more now...

#2 TetriTek

TetriTek

Wizard

• Members

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:07 AM

Well i have had some of those misunderstandings too. but my favorite, is the classic Samus was Metroid. i learned that it was actually samus when i saw my brothers playing super smash brothers (the original) and i was like "woah, they have metroid on there! i wanna be him!" haha, and i guess i learned it was a girl too. icon_razz.gif

#3 AaronJer

AaronJer

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:08 PM

I thought Snake, Rattle and Roll was a functional game once. That was my biggest game misunderstanding ever.
I thought Vsevolod was a British spy because of his weird voice until the very end of the game in Original War, but I bet that nobody here has played that game.
Huh... I figured I'd have more misconceptions than that. I guess I perceive games as they were intended.

#4 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:49 PM

I thought Lucius from Fire Emblem was a woman, for starters.

That's all I can think of. icon_frown.gif I'll edit this post if anything comes to mind.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:25 PM

I thought Link was named Zelda.
I thought Meta Knight and King DeDeDe were the same people.

That's all I can think of.

#6 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:05 PM

I, too, fell into the Link is Zelda trap.
I once thought LoZ was a sequel to AoL.
I thought all of Halo 3 was played on Earth until I replayed it.

Other than that, not much.

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Jul 15 2008, 06:34 AM) View Post

4. I thought all Links are one Link in all Zelda games, so the little LoZ Link grew up and became the tall AoL Link. I was confused why he was little in ALttP again...

Same here. I used to play WW, read Ganon's "I have no doubt in my mind that you are the Hero of Time, reborn..." or however that went, and thought, "Dude, that is the Hero of Time, you idiot!" icon_heh.gif

But that would also account for Link not knowing everything. icon_eek.gif

Then there was the whole Agahnim case, eh?

#8 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:15 PM

When I was little and I heard "Dr. Wily", I always pronounced it "Doctor Willy". With two Ls. I also pronounced "Sephiroth" as "Seph-ree-oth".

I think that was it for me... Probably were others but I can't think of them.

Oh and speaking of pronounciations... "Molka" is pronounced "Moh-ka". The L is silent. Did you know that? icon_ohmy.gif

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jul 15 2008, 03:15 PM) View Post

Oh and speaking of pronounciations... "Molka" is pronounced "Moh-ka". The L is silent. Did you know that? icon_ohmy.gif

It is!? I always pronounced it as Mole-ka. Wierd. So it's pronounced just like Mocha?

#10 AaronJer

AaronJer

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jul 15 2008, 03:15 PM) View Post

On a scale of 1 to 10, why is it silent? Is that word from something, or did you just come up with it on your own and then add a little pinch of Frenchness to it?

#11 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Jul 15 2008, 06:34 AM) View Post

Tell about cases when you misunderstood something in a game, do it preferably when it was funny. As for me:

1. I thought Link was Zelda. My mother thought it until some months ago, too. Thought so too
2. Didn't know if Zero was male or female, learned it via a faq about MMX6.
3. I thought Mario married Peach at the end of SMB and so they are husband and wife in SMB2 and SMB3.
4. I thought all Links are one Link in all Zelda games, so the little LoZ Link grew up and became the tall AoL Link. I was confused why he was little in ALttP again... I thought so too, like every adventure was the same, but a retelling of it
5. I thought Knuckles was girl in Sonic 3. Though so too
6. I thought Cloud's party was a "rescue team" in FFVII and they travelled the lands solely to solve problems (defeating the Gii, etc.).
7. I thought DeDeDe to be some kind of Santa Claus in Kirby's Adventure.
8. According to Sigma's speech near the end of MMX ("You betrayed me X") I thought X was killing humans along with Sigma once. (Funnily, I knew from the beginning that Zero spreads the virus. At least since I saw MMX3's ending.)

I simply can't remember more now...

#12 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:09 PM

I've had so many of these it's not even funny. (Okay, so maybe it is.)

1. I thought Protoman was Zero.
2. I thought Link was Zelda.
3. I pronounced Sephiroth's name Sep-i-roth.
4. I always thought Sunshine's name was Sushi in Paper Mario.
5. Pronouncing Disgaea as Disg-aya, rather than Disg-iya
6. I though Doom Dragon's attack 'Cruel Ruin' was 'Cruel Rain' in Golden Sun 2.

There's more... ALOT more, but I can't seem to think of them right now.

#13 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jul 16 2008, 12:15 AM) View Post

Then it refers to coffee in Hungarian. Ever since there was a coffe brand called "Mokka" in Hungary, all coffee related thing's tradition name contains the word "Mokka". Mokka spoon, mokka sugar, mokka cup... and now mokka quest...

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire)

I thought all of Halo 3 was played on Earth until I replayed it.

Interesting. Mistaking the location for entire gameplay and realizing it upon replay...

While playing ALttP, I thought the signs at the beginning said that 100 rupees is the reward for taking out Zelda from the prison... When I first played English version, I could read the real text. And since ALttP was first Zelda game, I didn't know about Ganon, so when a big bull came out from Agahnim, I thought it was still him, Agahnim. Then I thought Agahnim was good, just possessed by "that bull". I also thought "that bull" to be the guardian of the golden pyramid who tests adventurers before they enter the seven staircases (mistaken from seven wisemen) and so reach the heaven (mistaken from golden land). Oh man, all that rubbish and more because I didn't speak German...

EDIT:

QUOTE(Blaman)

1. I thought Protoman was Zero.

Me, too.

#14 AntonJ3000

AntonJ3000

Junior

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:20 PM

I thought Sheik was a dude.
(Then I got like WTF when sheik was Zelda)

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE(AntonJ3000 @ Jul 16 2008, 01:20 PM) View Post

I thought Sheik was a dude.
(Then I got like WTF when sheik was Zelda)

I still believe that Sheik is, in fact, a male. Remember: Super Smash Bros. is not official Zelda canon.

But it's just my opinion. Sheik is Zelda's alter-ego, correct? Alter-egos can be anything. My RP character on another board is my alter-ego. Doesn't have to mean it's the same gender as the host. Yeah sure, there are those complex details nobody wants to discuss, but if you look at Sheik's OoT Artwork, he's got a man-chest. icon_unsettled.gif

But then again, maybe this is one of my own misunderstandings. icon_blah.gif
QUOTE(Russ @ Jul 15 2008, 06:28 PM) View Post
It is!? I always pronounced it as Mole-ka. Wierd. So it's pronounced just like Mocha?
QUOTE(AaronJer @ Jul 16 2008, 12:47 PM) View Post
On a scale of 1 to 10, why is it silent? Is that word from something, or did you just come up with it on your own and then add a little pinch of Frenchness to it?
Alright, you two, this is off-topic. If you want to know more about his quest's name (or his quest, in general), PM him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users