Derisory Substance

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#76 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

I propose that, if the Derisory Substance ever makes a return, a post limit should be put on who may post, and should be hidden from those with less than a certain post count.

#77 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE(Master_of_Power @ Feb 10 2008, 11:30 AM) View Post

I propose that, if the Derisory Substance ever makes a return, a post limit should be put on who may post, and should be hidden from those with less than a certain post count.

I already suggested that. icon_smile.gif

#78 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(Master_of_Power @ Feb 10 2008, 10:30 AM) View Post

How about if it returns, to post:

A. You must have 1000 posts
B. You must be approved for posting in it, like with the Debate Forum.

Does that sound good.

#79 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:49 PM

I think having 1,000 posts is kinda steep, since there are a few members that have been here awhile, don't have 1,000 posts, but have a reputation on the forum and a past one in DS.

I do agree of having Site Staff approve members by hand, but only by Site Staff. I mean, of course have a moderator or two for the forum, plus the Staff and Super Mods, but Staff only should approve members, since they probably know more about each member than most of us.

And as a side note, these are only suggestions. Well, from me, at least. I'm not trying to change the Staff's mind about bringing DS back. I'm also not telling you to. And if our ideas are wasted, then that's just life, isn't it?

#80 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:07 PM

The problem is that adding all of these trivial requirements robs DS of the informality that brought its success as well as its demise. They kill the whole concept.

#81 BORAS

BORAS

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:06 PM

I dont really want to read every post in here, but i was aware that DS was for spamming and not getting a post count for it. but of course im not one to read every single rule in a rule book. but i also wasn't aware there was a forum like this when i was on this forum. but it may have came when i was gone.

#82 Deviance

Deviance

Le' Deviant

• Banned

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE(russadwan @ Feb 13 2008, 04:29 PM) View Post

How about if it returns, to post:

A. You must have 1000 posts
B. You must be approved for posting in it, like with the Debate Forum.

Does that sound good.

Just no. That wouldn't be fair for oldbies like me.

My requirements would be just a 100 post count if it still gets crazy then bump it to 200. But yeah 1000 is just not fair.

#83 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:34 PM

You have to have 100 to make the Debate Forum, which would seem like enough to know what a person's posting habit is like, but...

I'd say closer to 250. icon_unsettled.gif

#84 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(Deviance @ Feb 15 2008, 12:42 AM) View Post

Just no. That wouldn't be fair for oldbies like me.

My requirements would be just a 100 post count if it still gets crazy then bump it to 200. But yeah 1000 is just not fair.

I'd say one thousand posts or half a year as a member. That should work.

#85 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:12 PM

I really think we should bring back DS ... but as it's been said, 250 posts or half a year as a member is a good requirement to get into DS ... that is, if it in fact returns. Hopefully, though, it will, since it was really removed to throw a sense of maturity over some newer members.

#86 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(TheMasterSwordsman @ Feb 15 2008, 08:12 PM) View Post
since it was really removed to throw a sense of maturity over some newer members.

Then the next flock of newer members will just spam it up and they'll need to repeat the process. P:

#87 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:53 PM

Yeah, but there are more "rules" (I really hate calling them that. O.o I prefer "Recommended Guidelines to follow, or else you look like a fool sir.") to follow outside of DS, so if people start spamming, people are going to have to rectify that so that nobody brings down the quality of the forums around them.

It snowballs, you see. People see one stupid post, and think that they can get away with it too if that first person did, and then you've got a whole forum whose collective IQ has lowered a bit because the universal standards are lower on the community because that's how everyone thinks people are supposed to behave! Even the staff! I mean, hell, my standards are pretty acceptable in terms of what I think is passable for a post, despite my own personal standards, which I kinda try to keep a bit higher, .. .. but when I see "ok" as a post, I suddenly have a reason to ask myself why I have a sword with blood on it on my desk. I don't expect people to be intelligent for me; I just think it would be nice if people could express themselves like Plissken or Joe123 or Nathaniel, Dethl, Noir, and a lot of other people. (Yeah, I'm not mentioning names in any order at all. Just randomly, so fear not anonymous sirs.)

Though I'm not sure why I keep having to explain it. Maybe I'm just doing it in my head, and this is one of the few times I'm expressing myself somewhere tangible and visible to others. Eh.

Oh, also, Mr. Pimpy, your signature image is too big. I'd PM you about it, but you've got more than enough posts by now to have to be told privately. icon_razz.gif Check the announcement

#88 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:25 PM

Perhaps you should just let people get away with rent-a-modding there? When somebody does something that may screw something up for everybody, let everybody tell them not to.
Works well in a classroom anyways. icon_wink.gif

Ah, I was thinking the max image thing was 640x480 for some reason. >>

#89 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(Mr. Pimpy @ Feb 16 2008, 08:25 PM) View Post

Perhaps you should just let people get away with rent-a-modding there? When somebody does something that may screw something up for everybody, let everybody tell them not to.
Works well in a classroom anyways. icon_wink.gif

A problem with allowing rent-a-modding is that suddenly you have eight people bombarding someone with "you can't do this", and it makes it seem more like an embarassment than a friendly reminder of how things are meant to be. If you ever saw the movie Office Space and remember how they had eight different managers to tell the guy that he needed a cover sheet on his TPS reports, you would catch my drift. I certainly wouldn't want to be humiliated like that if I broke a rule. Reminding people about rules is not about adding insult to injury.

#90 Bix

Bix

Junior

• Members

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:40 AM

I'm annoyed. I disappear for long amounts of time very occasionally, and I come back to see something drastic taken place. But my justification is that real life is more important. icon_razz.gif

Heh, in my life, Derisory Substance takes place all the time. You should see me and TS hanging out together (or worse, my sister and his icon_eek.gif ). I only posted in DS as a diversion to the other topics, and that was fun and all, but I have no real remorse in it being taken away. Besides, I have seen a good deal of immaturity in there that is best left behind forever.
QUOTE(TriMaster001 @ Jan 30 2008, 08:04 AM) View Post

Well I'm kinda glad that DS is gone mainly becasue I'm sick of TS's WATER!!! thread. (No offense TS icon_smile.gif )

Jealous that you couldn't make a topic that got that big? icon_blah.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users