top list ten favorite best worst classic mega man megaman

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Shosci

Shosci

Gaming Topics and Live Streams

• Members

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:41 AM

I just completed Mega Man 10, the final huzzah of the Mega Man series. I started playing this series back in January and I am completely hooked on it. Similarly to the 'Top Favorite Zelda Games' post, I would like to see others opinions on their favorite Mega Man games.

I was thinking to build this list around the Classic series (Mega Man 1 - Mega Man 10) and once again explain next to it why it's placed there. However, this list will probably be easier to make considering how comparable every game can be as opposed to Zelda games. 

I have made my own list on Twitter, but I'll soon explain why I have the list the way it was made.

Have at it, enjoy, but don't get too offended by what others might think of your favorite Mega Man game. 

#2 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:45 AM

I like the X series more. Megaman Zero/ZX series are good too.

A classic Mega Man game I like is Rockman & Forte for the SumiFam (Japanese SNES). It's got similar graphics (less color depth) as the PS1/X counterpart and plays a lot like the classics. Plus Forte can dash and double jump like Zero (bosses are lot more difficult with him though). You can't morph with rush but you can with Gospel (Treble). I consider that the last true classic Mega Man game in the series, the rest are just knock-offs for me.

You should try the Fan Game Megaman Unlimited, you won't believe who the impossible final boss in that game is. Capcom can learn a thing or two from that developer.

Edited by SyrianBallaS, 18 July 2015 - 08:45 AM.

#3 Maleboocado

Maleboocado

Gotta go fast!!!!!11

• Members

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:12 AM

Mega Man 9 is the best. It has the best OST, and all powerups are different and mostly balanced (Gravity Man's black hole is a huge exception though). On a very distant second place is Mega Man 2, but MM2 has some bad stages and useless powerups.

I don't care about the rest, they're pretty bad. MM3 is probably the worst, it's just plain terrible. Terrible bosses, terrible stages, terrible OST, unnecesary filler and so on.

Other than the classic MM games I have only played the first MMX. It was a craptacular experience. And yes, I played it from the beginning to the very end, hoping it would become better. It didn't.

But anyway, the Mega Man formula is very subpar. MM9 somehow managed to be an enjoyable experience, but it was just a rehash of a rehash of a rehash...

#4 Shosci

Shosci

Gaming Topics and Live Streams

• Members

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:42 AM

Here is what I rank the Classic series. Keep in mind, Mega Man 8 is the only game I haven't played. It never interested me as of right now, so it won't be on the list.

10. Mega Man 5 - Levels took way too long, especially the end. Weapons were useless outside of the Charge Shot. Good level design though.

9. Mega Man 4 - Didn't really appeal to me afterwards. I found the level design somewhat cheap. Moreso than MM1 & MM9.

8. Mega Man 7 - Didn't like how levels were handled. Backtracking to levels to find upgrades like the X series wasn't my thing. If I counted MM7 FC instead, it would be placed in 7th place.

7. Mega Man 1 - It's alright for the first game. It's the shortest to plow through, but archaic design qwerks keep it in this spot. 

6. Mega Man 10 - Good way of ending the Classic series. Great amount of content. Weapons not as good as MM9, but man do I suck at Normal mode.

5. Mega Man V - Compensating to replace MM8 in this list (I know it's part of the GB series). This game was really cool and the best of the GB bunch.

4. Mega Man 3 - Very easy game for me to go back to. Found the levels kinda boring though, but the it has my favorite MM OST.

3. Mega Man 2 - The replayability keeps this game high up. Metal Blades were broken though. Yes it's overrated, but I at least won't consider it the best.

2. Mega Man 6 - Love the concept for the story. Weapons were good, and of course the most solid of the NES games. 

1. Mega Man 9 - Game is hard, but the awesome weapons balance it out. Love the stages, Robot Masters, music. It's somewhat mainstream, yet simple.

• nicklegends likes this

#5 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:43 AM

I don't really have a "list". My favorite is Megaman 7 by far, and i'm not a fan of 1 or II (gameboy 2)

#6 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:37 AM

I'll leave out Megaman & Bass, seeing as I kind of want to give it one final shot at some point, preferably with the Super Famicom version, but at this point in time if I were to rank it, I'd put it at #10, which would make this list's #10 #11. But anyway, here we go:

10. Megaman 8 - This game is so much nope. Levels too long, voice acting super atrocious (Dr. Light's great for entertainment but the rest are just bad), music is forgettable and not really fitting to a Megaman game, and the lack of E-tanks for some godforsaken reason makes this game even more of a drag than it already was.

9. Megaman 2 - Far and away more bearable than 8, there's really a larger gap between my enjoyment of these two games than their list placement would say. But all the same, I find Megaman 2 somewhat fun with great music, but lacking in balance and the Wily stages are terrible. Especially Boobeam Trap. 

8. Megaman 5 - "Bland" is the name of the game here. Levels go on a bit too long, most of the themes are forgettable, most of the themes are forgettable— well the first time I meant level themes and the second time I meant music. There's great music in here, to be sure, but a lot of it is not very good. Couple weapons suck, but on the whole it feels more complete than Megaman 2 and there's nothing I really dread about replaying this game compared to 2.

7. Megaman - Surprisingly I actually enjoy this game, pointless score system and slippery physics inside. Despite some copy/paste in some levels, everything just feels well-built. I hate that they require you to find the Magnet Beam or else you're stuck in Wily's Castle, but I love the weapon enough that I don't mind. There's some annoying factors, but there's always some workaround to them. Also the music is pretty good.

6. Megaman 7 - Honestly the 8-bit demake would be higher on the list, but in its original form it's not bad. Good even. Level design is fun, music is good, I like the addition of a shop... I admit the backtracking for parts is a little annoying, but it does add a bit more depth to the levels, most of which have multiple pathways, which is always a plus in my book.

5. Megaman 9 - This game has an outstanding soundtrack and tough but mostly fair gameplay. There's a couple of sections where I think the required jump precision is too much (here's looking at you, Jewel Man stage), but on the whole it's a super solid game with fun bosses and useful weapons. The final Wily stage is a pain in my ass though.

4. Megaman 4 - Highly underrated classic, in my opinion. Everything feels solid and smooth here, with the exception of maybe too few checkpoints later on in the game. It was probably the only game with a half-decent in-game story as well, not that I play Megaman for the story.

3. Megaman 6 - Same as above, highly underrated classic. Fantastic music, solid and unique level design, and the Rush adapters are quite fun to play with. It could have been the perfect end to the series if it wanted to be, especially with that badass final boss music. Even if the boss itself was easy, I guess.

2. Megaman 3 - I'll be the first to say that Megaman 3 has some problems. I'll also be the first to say that I don't care, because this game's full of pure entertainment to me. One of the best soundtracks, if not the best, in the series; fun and useful weapons; unique Robot Master design with fun stages... I even like the Doc Robot stages, though the bosses themselves can be kind of a pain. The final boss is laughable, but honestly, I've given up on final bosses in this series being challenging.

1. Megaman 10 - There's nothing but gold in this title for me. For one, its soundtrack is absolutely glorious. For another, the level design is overall solid and never feels too cheap, except in Nitro Man's stage, that stage is a pain. The Robot Masters are all fun and usually require a strategy other than just "wail on them directly with their weakness," and the weapons themselves are fun to play around with. It's a challenging game, a good challenge, and I wouldn't have Megaman any other way.

• nicklegends likes this

#7 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:42 PM

9->2->1->4-> I don't care (rest of games) ->7-> 3->10

#8 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:40 AM

Depends on what you consider Classic. Rockman and Forte was definitely my favorite, although I don't know if you can consider that classic. If we're talking OG NES Megaman, then MM2 was my favorite. 

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 July 2015 - 04:57 PM

Alright, this oughta be fun. Disclaimer: I have not played 8, which I've heard nothing but bad things about. I also haven't played enough of Megaman and Bass to gibe it a fair rating, but I wasn't too fond of what I played. Anyways...

9. Megaman 1. I actually thought for a while which of the games deserved the bottom spot here, but I think I've come to the conclusion that it has to be 1. While it set the standard that a lot of games followed... this game had issues. Copy/pasted stage design, mandatory damage sections, missable items required to beat the game... yeah.

8. Megaman 2. This one's an interesting case. Almost everything about it is improved from 1, and if we only look at the Robot Master stages, it's not a bad game (Quick Man aside, since certain areas require advance knowledge of where the lasers will be, and Wood Man's repeated use of the same miniboss). Then the Wily stages happened... Stage 1 is just bad, and while the boss design isn't horrible, the sprite flicker makes it almost unplayable. The rest of the stages are pretty boring, and then we hit the Boobeam Trap. I've ranted enough but this guy in the past, but suffice to say he's possibly the worst designed boss I've ever had the misfortune of fighting. The final Wily fight is also a bit of a letdown.

7. Megaman 3. There's a pattern going on here, in case you haven't noticed, with the games getting progressively better as they go. I like 3, don't get me wrong, and I find it much better than 1 and 2. However, it has its flaws. The Doc Robot stages stand out in my mind as particularly bad, existing only to pad the game's length. Not a bad game by any means, but it still has some issues.

6. Megaman 7. And this is where the pattern breaks. I really like Megaman 7, unlike a lot of people, but it has its flaws. The bosses all have major hitstun issues, making them laughably easy if you fight them with their weaknesses. The final boss deserves special mention for being insanely more difficult than the rest of the game. A fun game, really, but not a perfect game.

5. Megaman 9. I actually thought for a while if this game should be number 5 or 4 on the list. It's fun. Really fun. But it also has a few problems. Concrete Man's stage isn't very fun at all, and there's a few areas of... questionable design and difficulty spikes. All in all though, a great game.

4. Megaman 4. Again, there's a few issues, but 4 was a huge step up from the games that preceded it. It has one of the best designed fortress ascent stages (Cossack 1 is incredible, seriously), fun robot masters, a nice variety of weapons, and for the first time in the history of the series, a plot!

3. Megaman 6. In a way, it's the black sheep of the series. It did things pretty differently with its Rush Adapter and its traveling the world theme. And these paid off. It's one of the most memorable games in the series, with some of the coolest stages and themes. It also has the best fortress ascent level in the entire series (seriously, X stage 1 is godly). It tripped a few times in trying out new mechanics, but it's a very fun game nonetheless.

2. Megaman 5. I know I'm one of the few people who really likes 5, but I found that, while it doesn't do a whole lot of new things, it perfects the formula that 2-4 laid out. My only real complaint is that it can be a bit easy at times; everything else about it is really freaking good.

1. Megaman 10. The final game in the series, and easily the best. I don't have a single bad thing to say about this one; in my opinion, it's the perfect Megaman game. Cool stage gimmicks, a decent difficulty curve, an incredibly well designed fortress, amazing music, three playable characters... it's got everything. A fitting final note for the series.
  • Evan20000 likes this

#10 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

Looks like Megaman 9 and 10 are the most popular megaman games then? I should try these out first if I wanted to start playing a game from this series.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:45 PM

Yeah, they're generally the ones everybody can agree are pretty good. I'd probably start with 10 since it's a bit easier than 9, plus it has an "easy mode" if the normal game's too hard, so it's a great way to start the series.

#12 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 19 July 2015 - 05:46 PM

Funny, I think Russ has listed them from hardest to easiest (or almost), lol. 

Everyone has their tastes, but I don't find the point in a pissy easy Megaman game. MM9 was so exciting and full of traps, while MM10 was just a letdown and I completed it in my first blind run without any effort (same with 5-6). I don't understand that obsession with "fair design", Megaman was always about crazy traps, memorable music, good robots and useful weapons. MM10 falls short for me in those areas after the pinnacle that MM9 was. There is nothing wrong with dying some times in a stage or a boss until you get accustomed to it ._.

If there is something that I hate while playing a videogame, it's to get to a boss and kill him in my first try without knowing any tactic. That's why I hate boss battles in Zelda for example (only the first three games has decent bosses).

Edited by Air Luigi, 19 July 2015 - 05:50 PM.

#13 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:24 PM

Everyone has their tastes, but I don't find the point in a pissy easy Megaman game. MM9 was so exciting and full of traps, while MM10 was just a letdown and I completed it in my first blind run without any effort (same with 5-6). I don't understand that obsession with "fair design", Megaman was always about crazy traps, memorable music, good robots and useful weapons. MM10 falls short for me in those areas after the pinnacle that MM9 was. There is nothing wrong with dying some times in a stage or a boss until you get accustomed to it ._.

If there is something that I hate while playing a videogame, it's to get to a boss and kill him in my first try without knowing any tactic. That's why I hate boss battles in Zelda for example (only the first three games has decent bosses).

Huh... would you look at that. It certainly wasn't my intention to rank them from hardest to easiest, because I do like a good challenge (Megaman 10 on hard mode is very fun to me, for example).

I think we may have slightly different definitions of fair design. While MM9 was hard, yes, it never seemed unfair. I might die over and over, but it always seemed like I deserved to die because I screwed up. It was my fault I died, not the game's fault. Some of the Megaman games though feel unfair because whether or not you die has nothing to do with how good you are. There's a moment in Megaman 5 that stands out to me despite me liking most of the game. In the first Wily castle, there's a part where you're standing on a platform can either jump off to the left or to the right. If you jump off the right, you hit a pit of unavoidable spikes and die instantly; there's no way around it. That's, to me, not fair. There's no way you could have known it was coming or dodged it. It's just "Flip a coin: If heads, you live, if tails, you die." I agree with you that the series has always been about crazy traps, but I feel that it should be designed so that, if you can think and act fast enough, you can avoid them. A game that has the philosophy "You WILL die to this trap the first time, and then you'll memorize where it is and dodge it" doesn't seem like a good game to me. It's based off trial and error and memorization, rather than actual skill.

Regarding your last point, I kind of agree with you but not exactly. I think a boss fight should be possibly to kill on the first attempt, but very difficult to. You should need to learn its pattern before you kill it, but the game should give you the opportunity to learn it before killing you. I feel most Megaman bosses do a good job of that, where they do just enough damage that you'll get hit a few times, but can figure out their pattern and turn the fight around with barely enough health left.
  • The Satellite likes this

#14 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:17 PM

10/10: Yoku Man

#15 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:38 AM

You might have already played this but, Megaman: Revenge of the Fallen? It seems right up your alley Air Luigi. http://rpgmaker.net/games/2406/

But....to add to the topic: Megaman 3, will always be my favorite. Followed by...Megaman 6. I'm weird, I know.

Edited by DarkFlameWolf, 25 July 2015 - 09:39 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: top, list, ten, favorite, best, worst, classic, mega, man, megaman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users