Photo

Screenshot of the Week 188

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

Poll: SoTW 188 (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:54 PM

Octorockoncrack - 5/10
Ah, a return to the metroid stuff. Good on ideas, although the screen is still quite simple for the main portion. The subscreen portion still looks pretty standard, but not bad. Keep exploring with this more if you continue to have an interest in it.

CastChaos - 6/10
Perhaps a little more differentiation between shades of brown might help the screen look a little more interesting, mainly with the outermost walls. However, I do like the choice of floor tiles, most especially in the lowest portion. While not the most spectacular shot, it certainly works well for its environment.

Ebola Zaire - 6/10
Good respect for detail and good usage of elevations. I am not a fan of this exact usage of autumn colors, though. Perhaps it just needs to be a little darker overall or less bright orange, but that is a matter of personal taste I suppose. Hmm. Not bad otherwise though.

Tough call for me. After some thinking, I chose CastChaos for consistency.

#17 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:02 AM

Ebola, the shot was great, but the colors... kinda... tore my eyes out with 5 iron claws, a little bright, don't you think. And, Octorock's screen is... a little too empty, just not interesting, so I went with CastChaos. Granted, more floor borders to easily differentiate the walls from the floor would make it better, it all looked like a jumble of whatever, when I first looked at it.

#18 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:37 AM

Ebola... that looks cool! icon_thumbsup.gif

#19 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:34 AM

I can't choose between mine and Ebola's, but have nulled anyway. Ebola's seem a little bright, but I think this is how the CGB tileset is. Also, it was hard to see what's going on the first time, but resting my eye on it a little makes the wonder come out.

Anyhow I look at my screen, I never realize such problem like the walls seem as floor. Common sense says that what is just near the aLttP dot ceiling, that must be a wall... A wall, that, in this case, is a little low on gradius, but a custom wall is still better than just placing down already made combos...
Do you know why I said "advanced ZC technology"? Just because the gameplay, not the visuals... You will see if you ever get to play this quest.

#20 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:15 AM

Oh, EZ, dude... no contest. SWEET screenshot!

#21 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:47 PM

Octorokoncrack: Too much blue; in fack make the background a dark blue or find a background that would serve that purpose. Also, more detail needs to go into a room; when it's just four different tiles, it gets very bland.

CC: Downward gradients, man. The blocks are too flat, and there's no real variety in those walls. Add some flavor!

EZ: Ahh, autumn in Markerland... Yes, the color is indefinitely bold, and a little annoying. Change it a bit, and it should be fine; yet, it's not going to stop me from voting for you.

#22 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:42 PM

Response!

I thought you were building a GBC tileset, but it looks more like you're making a 3-max-color tileset based off of the GBC. Very cool
I'm actually using Akkabus's EZGB tileset, with added transparency in the corners of some tiles to give it a more professional look.

Good respect for detail and good usage of elevations. I am not a fan of this exact usage of autumn colors, though. Perhaps it just needs to be a little darker overall or less bright orange, but that is a matter of personal taste I suppose. Hmm. Not bad otherwise though.
I don't think the palette is made to accomodate dirt; you can see that there are unsightly white specks all over it. I am making a quest with this, so I'll probably modify the palette to put a lighter brown instead of beige on the dirt. Hopefully, that will give it a better vibe.

Ebola, the shot was great, but the colors... kinda... tore my eyes out with 5 iron claws, a little bright, don't you think.
That's just Game Boy Color for ya. icon_shrug.gif For some reason, Nintendo choose the colors most likely to cause epilepsy for their game systems.

Anyhow I look at my screen, I never realize such problem like the walls seem as floor. Common sense says that what is just near the aLttP dot ceiling, that must be a wall... A wall, that, in this case, is a little low on gradius, but a custom wall is still better than just placing down already made combos...
Right, and I can tell at a glance which areas are walkable and which are not, but using borders or a downwards gradation would really help this shot.

EZ: Ahh, autumn in Markerland... Yes, the color is indefinitely bold, and a little annoying. Change it a bit, and it should be fine; yet, it's not going to stop me from voting for you.
Yeah, minor changes might do this shot good. Still, this is one of my favorite palettes to play with.

#23 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:24 PM

Ebola Zaire. Amazing! If all the screens in your quest look like that... heh, awesome.

#24 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ Dec 12 2007, 05:24 PM) View Post

Ebola Zaire. Amazing! If all the screens in your quest look like that... heh, awesome.

Then his quest would get boring quickly icon_blah.gif

'grats on your first win, Ebola.

#25 Zelda fan gamer

Zelda fan gamer

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:38 AM

Ebola Zaire is a clearly winner, Gets my vote.

#26 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:46 PM

This week's winner is Ebola Zaire, with its gameboyish charm. icon_razz.gif Congrats, you will move on to SotM.

Also, as a reminder to everyone, make sure you are sending the SotW screens to everyone: Xavier, Myself and /M/. I will be doing it this week, and I have two screens as of now, so hopefully I will get another one to start it tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users