Photo

Official 5th Quest Contest

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#121 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

What Nightmare is referring to is what I posted in the OP:

enemy_limitations.png

Where people will use any enemy-type anywhere and everywhere and levels often contain every enemy type.

Personally, I believe it's only a good base, or starting point, and that it is not nearly as limiting as some might assume. Think about this:
-The WHITE/RED palette contains the blue enemy: Patra, however the WHITE/BLUE palette does not. Makes sense, right?! ...well you might be thinking "that's because the enemies don't use those colors". Well if enemies don't use those colors then why am I restricted to colors the enemies don't even use? ...ad infinity.

Personally, I don't think anyone will care if there is a Lanmola and an Aquamentus in a LV3 pallete, only if the enemy groups in general don't make much sense.

That's why there is no rule for that. The concept of enemy groups, habitats, etc are still important, but more art than science -- unless you follow the NES doc exactly; then it is a lot of science and little art.

[edit] Also it has been suggested to add in a week extension for entrants so they can fix errors and rule violations. I've either been gone or been busy this last month (sorry about that) and have only just started to go through some quests. Everyone that was doing a quest is basically finished anyway so I doubt this would have any negative effect.

#122 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

Besides Level 2's water that you mentioned, do you see anything else in my quest that is against the rules.  I just don't want to update things in the game if my game as a whole is DQ worthly. I do use different colors, but maybe I was just confused by the NES rules, because I just tried to use different CSETs.  But I kept it to 3 colors and such, so I didn't think it was against the rules.  Just let me know.

#123 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:20 AM

I haven't really gone through them yet, just a quick scan for obvious stuff. I'd say it looks good minus the LV2 stuff, but keep the aforementioned in mind "just in case". :P

We'll extend the deadline for a week just because of issues like this (there are still a few pending..sigh), and not because I'm lagging at all *cough*.

Another thing with the past contest quests is that all the links are dead and it's hard or impossible to get them. I think it'd be a good idea to let people upload them to the database here, and/or AGN, possibly with the tag "(5th Quest Contest)" appended to it like the 2-week thing, or just "name 5th quest entry" or the like. The only catch would be that once it starts quest updates wouldn't be allowed. I hope the purezc database staff wouldn't mind this at all. What do you guys think?

#124 Questwizard

Questwizard

The Moldorm Guy

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:49 AM

I definitely agree with the enemy groups. I'm working on level 8 right now, and so far I think I've only broken the enemy groups in one level, but the additional enemies should fit right in with the theme of that dungeon.

I'm gonna be up all night working on finishing this thing, so hopefully I should be submitting later today. Took longer because of work getting in the way all of a sudden.

#125 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

http://www.purezc.ne...projects&id=104

My 5th Quest project.

-James

#126 Questwizard

Questwizard

The Moldorm Guy

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

All Done! Here's my entry: http://questwizard.n...ts/qw5th-v2.qst (Go to AGN for the newest updates)
Overall, I'd say this is about the same style as my 4th quest dungeons were. Yes, there's Moldorms, but they've been nerfed a bit. There's some new enemies as well. You'll know them when you see them. I also nerfed some of the other 4th quest enemies somewhat since people thought they were overpowered.

This quest gets quite hard later on, especially level 9, but it is beatable.

Also, I have no idea what level 6's shape is. It was made by holding down the mouse button and randomly swiping across the DMap screen since I couldn't come up with a design at the time. It worked though.

Enjoy.

Edited by Questwizard88, 03 November 2013 - 06:56 PM.

• VMC likes this

#127 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

While you may host your quest wherever you wish(AGN database will accept them) to officially submit your entry make a new thread for it here: http://armageddongam...h-Quest-Contest

Entries not submitted by the hard deadline will not be accepted in the contest

This is where playtesting and judging will take place. Were working on a "guide" for playtesting/judging but basically we really want you to report rule violations and bugs. Especially so that the quest maker can get them fixed before it is too late.

Edited by SUCCESSOR, 03 November 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#128 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Oh good, I can't because I'm still considered "just registered".  Can I just ask someone to make a new thread for it? >_>

That being said, things probably won't go well for me because of the authenticity police.  Maybe I should just skip to putting in the database and start working on a new quest- I've exhausted myself over the past couple months working on this and don't want to go through every dungeon and consolidate my enemies because it doesn't please a couple people.

#129 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hey, just remember, it's public voting. If a few people don't like your enemy placements, so what? The majority of the people voting are sensible enough to not care.

#130 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

Oh good, I can't because I'm still considered "just registered".  Can I just ask someone to make a new thread for it? >_>

That being said, things probably won't go well for me because of the authenticity police.  Maybe I should just skip to putting in the database and start working on a new quest- I've exhausted myself over the past couple months working on this and don't want to go through every dungeon and consolidate my enemies because it doesn't please a couple people.

Fixed. You should be able to post now. (If anyone has any problems posting a thread message me.)

Authenticity police? I only saw Nightmare complain about your quest. On AGN at least.

Edited by SUCCESSOR, 03 November 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#131 Dream Illusionist

Dream Illusionist

Junior

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

Wait, let me get this straight... was the deadline extended to the 12th only for those who submit before the 5th (and thus they have until the 12th to fix bugs and whatnot), or was it generally extended to the 12th, and so anyone can enter until that date?

Also, I'd like an opinion on something (if that's okay -- not sure if this is the adequate place for it). Would it be preferrable that new versions of enemies get a whole new CSet, or, for authenticity's sake, go with one of the old CSets - even if it means it shares colors with an already existing enemy?

Edited by Sylph, 03 November 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#132 Cjc

Cjc

Cor Blimey!

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

Wait, let me get this straight... was the deadline extended to the 12th only for those who submit before the 5th (and thus they have until the 12th to fix bugs and whatnot), or was it generally extended to the 12th, and so anyone can enter until that date?

Also, I'd like an opinion on something (if that's okay -- not sure if this is the adequate place for it). Would it be preferrable that new versions of enemies get a whole new CSet, or, for authenticity's sake, go with one of the old CSets - even if it means it shares colors with an already existing enemy?

The deadline was extended to the twelfth because the specifics of submission were just supplied and we wanted to make sure everybody got a chance to get their quest into the contest.  This extension applies to everyone.

As for your question, if it is an identical enemy graphic it is probably best to change the CSet, even if it means making a new one (You DO have the option of Level Color [CSet 9], though, so keep that in mind).  Any new CSet you make should be a four color palette with the transparency being Black and the remaining three colors in ascending order of brightness.  A good way to check this is to go to a pre-existing enemy and switch CSets.  If a Darknut looks good in your new CSet, it's okay.

I'd also recommend refraining from doing too many new CSets.  For example, I added a 'gold' CSet to accommodate the Golden Ring, and used this same set to identify variations in certain enemies.

Both of these are recommendations, though, not rules.  As long as you stick to 4-Bit color, you can do as you please.

#133 SUCCESSOR

SUCCESSOR

Apprentice

• Banned

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

That's a good question. Gleeok just kinda shot that out there. I am assuming he means a general deadline.  To be clear NO new 5th Quest Entries will be accepted after the 12th as it is the second extension. Whether you will be able to bug fix after the 12th will be addressed as soon as I can catch a Gleeok in the wild... I mean chat. It would be your best bet to get your entry completed and bugtested as much as humanly possible before the 12th. Disqualified quests will have an opportunity to bring their entry into compliance once all entries can be thoroughly screened. Hopefully the community can start helping with that ASAP.

#134 BtjCraft

BtjCraft

Praise Double Helix!

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Wow, I'm only gone for about 45 33 hours and this thread gets 28 more replies, wow.

Here's my summarized reply to the majority of the 28:

I believe that it is important to keep the 5th quest similar to the other 4, and both Gleeok and Nightmare said that authenticity is a big part of quest criteria, and it should be, it's the 5th quest, it's something that should be hypothetically playable on the NES. But, these restrictions aren't here to hinder people, it's so people can play The Legend of Zelda in a new way, but yet still feels like the same exact classic game. If people want to try different things, they have that right, the rules are just here to prevent someone making The Legend of Zelda look completely different from what it was when Nintendo released it in 1986. Nintendo made the quest rules, indirectly of course but we had no involvement into the finishing product of The Legend of Zelda, and the rules are there to respect Nintendo's piece of art. Nintendo's masterpiece helped bring forth Zelda Classic, the 3rd and 4th quests, and soon the 5th quest, and getting rid of these restrictions would show no respect to the game that started all of this.

Edited by BtjCraft, 05 November 2013 - 01:25 PM.

• Nightmare likes this

#135 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

The new deadline is great news! I got stuck out-of-town without my computer and was going to have to submit my demo without some bug fixes... Gleeok told me my overworld might not fit the rules, so let me ask here. I basically kept the majority of the actual screens identicle, but the placement of each screen has been shifted so that the graveyard is on the east side of the overworld and not the west. I guess I could shift it back if necesary, but before I do so, please let me know if that's a major flaw or not. Thanks,

PnW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users