Official "What video games are you playing right now?" topic

• Please log in to reply
4811 replies to this topic

#4576 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:51 PM

Was it the fisherman's island hopping game? That was the one for me, there was no clue that I saw that you could take that boat.

I have no clue which one i was missing, all i know i was missing one. I didn't used a guide for that playthrough though.

#4577 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:14 PM

I thought the Bowser's Minions mode was going to be some tacked on, crappy mode, but it's actually not bad. It's a basic strategy game where you pick the units you want to bring into battle and there's a power triangle. Melee Goombas beat Hammer Bros, Hammer Bros beat Flying Goombas and Flying Goombas beat Melee Goombas. So you have to think on which units you have to bring into battle.

The battle does play itself mostly, but you can influence it with Captain commands and an attack prompt appears when an unit is using its unique attack and it's just like the regular prompts from the battle system in the main game.

It also has explains some plot points that the original game didn't mentioned.

#4578 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:17 PM

Made it to the Mermaid cave in OoA. That's right, I'm giving it another shot. I haven't tried to play this game in years. I've never got past the part after Level 2 either. I've talked a lot of shit about this game, but I have to say I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I've had to look a few things up, but I can see why so many people love this game. I've always said I like seasons more, but I dunno. I'm hoping to finally finish all three GB/C Zeldas. :D

The Goron dances can go straight to hell though. I will say, I hate mandatory mini-games. :P
  • Eddy, Cukeman and Matthew like this

#4579 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:30 PM

The Goron dances can go straight to hell though.

This. I have no rhythm.

• Anthus likes this

#4580 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:55 PM

This. I have no rhythm.

Yeah me either. I found it easier to close my eyes and rely only on the audio cue, fwiw, but I'm still pretty bad at it.

Just beat the infamous Jabu Jabu's Belly, and I can totally see why. Not gonna lie, I used a YouTube video to get through once I realized there are different (seemingly random) floor layouts.

I just wish inventory management wasn't annoying, and swimming with the mermaid suit is killing my thumb. :P

#4581 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:22 PM

Inventory management was unfortunately carried over from Link's Awakening and it's a pain in the ass in the Oracle games as it is in that game.

People found Jabu Jabu's belly difficult? OoT Water Temple is way worse as a water dungeon.

Seasons has the Subrosian dancing and i honestly find it much less painful than the Goron Dancing.

Edited by Norzan, 26 December 2017 - 07:22 PM.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#4582 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

I never understood the inventory management complaint in LA.

I do find it irritating in OoT3DS and ALBW though, because you can't permanently choose which subscreen slot an item belongs in, and there's so many more items and buttons (and it's touch screen).

Edited by Cukeman, 26 December 2017 - 07:48 PM.

#4583 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

The constant need to stop every two minutes minimum to open the inventory and switch items in LA and the Oracle games is a constant pace breaker. This is made worse in dungeons where you have to constantly change items, specially when the dungeon asks for two items (like Roc's Feather and Pegasus boots) just to do a single task in a single room. Made worse even further by the bracelet not being context sensitive (meaning you need to equip it to use it) and the shield not being automatic.

And how in the world does it irritate you in ALBW and OoT 3DS, when those games have several more slots to put items and LA and the Oracle games only have two? Not to mention the shield and bracelet not needed to be equipped.

It seems completely backwards to not be irritated with the inventory in LA but be irritated with the inventory in ALBW and OoT 3DS, where the last two have much better inventory management.

Edited by Norzan, 26 December 2017 - 08:36 PM.

#4584 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:14 PM

In OoT3DS you only have two buttons X and Y (I and II don't count). It bothers me because items are never where I left them.

It's nothing to take personally though.

#4585 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:45 PM

Not taking anything personal, just trying to understand.

Doesn't OoT 3D actually have four slot for items you want to put in them? I don't have the game but that's what the wiki says. That's twice the number of slots in LA, plus the sword and shield have their separate button and the bracelet is context sensitive.

In my opinion, the Oracle games should have been made for the GBA. It would have been awesome to have them as launch titles and the L and R buttons would have made the inventory management much less tedious.

Edited by Norzan, 26 December 2017 - 09:46 PM.

#4586 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:26 PM

OoT 3DS has 2 physical buttons and 2 touch screen buttons for using items. Everyone hates the touchscreen buttons and would've rathered Nintendo use the plentiful number of physical buttons instead. Iron boots was the only item that made adequate use of the Touch Screen.

The GB/C games inventory could've been slightly improved if each item had a designated location in the inventory screen instead of you constantly swapping item positions around in the menu. It would've greatly improved the ability to build up muscle memory and better keep track of what you currently have in your possession too.

And yes, the Goron Bracelet should have never been an equippable item (I'm indifferent regarding the Shield).

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 26 December 2017 - 11:32 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#4587 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

I never minded the touch buttons in oot3d. I used them mainly for stuff like the lens, or boots, or any other "toggle" item. Stuff that actually requires a button press went on buttons (bow, hookshot, etc.). I actually liked it more than the original cause they fixed boots, and gave the ocarina its own button.

For the Oracle games, I can see why they did it that way. If nothing else, the shield and bracelet should have been automatic. Also, make each seed it's own item. I know it takes up more space, but that should help with speed, I think.

#4588 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:18 PM

Is speed what's bothering people? No wonder we see it differently. For me organization is why I don't like ALBW/OoT3DS's style. Speed is the last thing I'm worried about in a pause menu, it's a break from the action and I can take my time getting what I need and planning my next move. I never liked the L/R weapon select in later Mega Man releases, what fun is it to be helpless in an action scene while switching? I always chose to use pause instead to bring up the inventory. I know it's not the same issue as the GBC subscreens, but it's the same principle for me, in that I'm not under any pressure to change gear quickly, which I find to be a relief.

To be honest, I didn't even mind the Iron Boots being on the pause screen, I just didn't like the delay between pressing pause and the menu slowly loading into the screen. Iron Boots on a button is nice, but I never saw it as an issue.

• Anthus and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#4589 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:59 PM

It's not speed, it's pacing. Reaching a room in a dungeon and noticing you don't have the items needed to progress already equipped is kind of annoying. But only having two slots for items and dungeons constantly asking for different items for progression (specially in the later dungeons) just destroys any flow. At least in ALBW there's more item slots, meaning less needing to go to the menu to change items.

Seriously, you spend at least half of the game in LA and Oracle games just staring at the menu screen and it's tiring.

Edited by Norzan, 27 December 2017 - 05:00 PM.

#4590 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:02 PM

I never liked the L/R weapon select in later Mega Man releases, what fun is it to be helpless in an action scene while switching? I always chose to use pause instead to bring up the inventory. I know it's not the same issue as the GBC subscreens, but it's the same principle for me, in that I'm not under any pressure to change gear quickly, which I find to be a relief.

Even for me the speed is not so importat in a pause menu, but at least mega man let you decide if you want push L/R or open menu

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users